Trying to create a repo to house a build - Need it to update on devices automatically
I am getting back in to tinkering and I wanted to give building and hosting a repo a go.  This is only for me to use and won't be public.  I have a server I can hang the .zip and other files needed on but I am wondering about versioning and updates.  If I modify the master zip how can I push it to my shield or whatever device (maybe my phone) so the build or add-on updates automatically?  I tried doing a local test by hosing the file on my laptop to a build on my laptop but it wasn't seeing any change in the code without uninstalling / reinstalling.  

I could have very well missed a step on my end.  I am a complete rookie and just very interested in learning.  Thanks in advance for help or pointing me in the correct forum direction.
Thread moved to addons development
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2022-09-25, 16:22)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to addons development
TY
So I made a small change to the addon, uninstalled it and went to reinstall it from the FTP option that I have mapped as a source in kodi.  However I get a popup for failure to install.  It's the same zip that installed locally from my laptop, only from an FTP and now it doesn't work.
(2022-09-25, 16:42)Proflashrtist Wrote: So I made a small change to the addon, uninstalled it and went to reinstall it from the FTP option that I have mapped as a source in kodi.  However I get a popup for failure to install.  It's the same zip that installed locally from my laptop, only from an FTP and now it doesn't work.

Looks like an update I made messed something up. I tried a local install again and it says invalid structure.  So I'm going to open it again and check.
(2022-09-25, 16:43)Proflashrtist Wrote:
(2022-09-25, 16:42)Proflashrtist Wrote: So I made a small change to the addon, uninstalled it and went to reinstall it from the FTP option that I have mapped as a source in kodi.  However I get a popup for failure to install.  It's the same zip that installed locally from my laptop, only from an FTP and now it doesn't work.

Looks like an update I made messed something up. I tried a local install again and it says invalid structure.  So I'm going to open it again and check.

Nope. Back to being confused.  Zip installs fine from a local file but not from an FTP...strange.
You need a web server to set up a repo. Github is popular, or you can install one locally. Apache, Nginx etc.

EDIT: https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_repositories
@Proflashrtist Your very generic running commentary on what you are doing with your repo / addon / zip files is not giving anyone anything useful to go on.

I appreciate you have said that what you are doing is only for your own personal use but without details, specifics (ie files) and context how is anyone able to help you figure out what is wrong? It will be all theoretical ideas to see what sticks and people have little time and patience for that.

Also the language you are using ("so the build and add-ons update automatically", "the build on my laptop" etc) is concerning. Please make sure you are familiar with the Forum Rules and our piracy policy. If your project is incompatible with these rules then I'm afraid you would need to find support elsewhere.

If it is legit and you would care to share some details such as providing the files for someone to test for you then you can always remove them from the link you provide at a later date, once you have a solution.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2022-09-25, 18:06)Dangelus Wrote: @Proflashrtist Your very generic running commentary on what you are doing with your repo / addon / zip files is not giving anyone anything useful to go on.

I appreciate you have said that what you are doing is only for your own personal use but without details, specifics (ie files) and context how is anyone able to help you figure out what is wrong? It will be all theoretical ideas to see what sticks and people have little time and patience for that.

Also the language you are using ("so the build and add-ons update automatically", "the build on my laptop" etc) is concerning. Please make sure you are familiar with the Forum Rules and our piracy policy. If your project is incompatible with these rules then I'm afraid you would need to find support elsewhere.

If it is legit and you would care to share some details such as providing the files for someone to test for you then you can always remove them from the link you provide at a later date, once you have a solution.

I went into the rabbit hole yesterday and got ahead of myself.  I will re-approach and re-format my question to a better structure so I can be less vague.
I am going to try again with my post.  I have am using Python and coding in visual studio code and have started building a repo which is more for my want to learn than anything else and may not even be needed.  

Problem:  I am a complete and utter beginner.  I have basic python skills that I am slowly growing as I learn how kodi will use them.  I have multiple devices in my home that I would like to put this build on (all of this work will stay private - this is just a learning adventure for me) and be able to update it, and push updates.  It could be that there's an easy solution to get this part down without building out a ton of custom items but I'm not aware of it yet.

Ideal solution:  I slap together a build, zip it, and host it either on my private FTP (which I already own and use) or Github (learning the ropes of how this structure works).  As I make changes to the wizard & build files, upload them to the master hosting folder, it should push updates to any devices running it and say "hey there's an update, time to run it" so everything is running the same build at the same time without having to go to each individual device and make the same updates.  

Sorry if I am reaching out into more than one topic.  I am trying to list my end state goal and what it seems like I might have to do to get there.  Once I can figure out the basics of repo / wizard building and am able (if I even have to build my own to start) to get the auto updating working I will venture in to building an add-on of my own.
@Proflashrtist 

1) You have created a new thread for no reason - you have an existing thread. I have merged it with the original one for you. How long it stays active depends on your intentions.

2) As I have already mentioned your language / terminology is problematic. "Wizards" and "builds" are the terminology of those interested in packaging Kodi for piracy purposes. I'm not saying that is your intention but again I'll refer you to the Forum Rules and piracy policy

3) You'll probably find that you won't get any definitive answers here for what you're looking for as we don't support that packaging and distribution of our software bundled with other addons and modifications we don't have any control over (ie the aforementioned "builds") whether they are of the piracy variety or not.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to create a repo to house a build - Need it to update on devices automatically0