HTPC or Android box? Reqs inside
I never used ARC till now, all my equipment used to go via the AVR HDMI switcher instead, and sync was perfect.

I’ll test optical, and tv speakers.
(2022-10-18, 13:36)safetyp1 Wrote: I never used ARC till now, all my equipment used to go via the AVR HDMI switcher instead, and sync was perfect.

I’ll test optical, and tv speakers.

What happens if you run the Shield TV via your AVR rather than via ARC?

(Unless you have eARC you're also reducing your audio to PCM 2.0 or DD/DTS if you use the original ARC system)
No issues running shield directly through my AVR. It’s just that my AVR is old and only does 1080p. Which means my Netflix experience is worse than what I had before, which was via the TV and optical out (4K hdr) to my AVR for audio. Surprised that CEC still works in this setup, the shield remote turns everything on and off.

I feel like optical out from my TV also has sync issues versus direct hdmi into my AVR. I’ll test this a bit more.
(2022-10-18, 16:32)safetyp1 Wrote: No issues running shield directly through my AVR. It’s just that my AVR is old and only does 1080p. Which means my Netflix experience is worse than what I had before, which was via the TV and optical out (4K hdr) to my AVR for audio. Surprised that CEC still works in this setup, the shield remote turns everything on and off.

I feel like optical out from my TV also has sync issues versus direct hdmi into my AVR. I’ll test this a bit more.

If both the optical and the ARC audio output via your TV have issues then it suggests the issue may be with your TV ?

Simple solution might be to use an HDMI 2.0 audio extractor like this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Audio-Extr...07TZRXKYG/

This will pass the UHD HDR video signal to your TV but let you take the Toslink audio to your AVR.  You may need to add some audio delay in the AVR to match the video processing delay of your TV.
Absolutely no audio synch issues using Shield and Kodi. Love the fact that the Shield remote can control my Yamaha sound bar directly, one less remote to fiddle with. CEC works fine with my Panasonic TV remote but prefer my Rii remote overall.
With the Shield remote I cannot type without continually pressing the middle OK button and that drives me nuts.
I also use IPTV on it and it works great. Strangely enough I cannot cast to it for reasons unclear, my phone sees it but it just doesn't work, I have a Chromecast anyhow so its not a problem.
I seemed to have got the sync to stop wandering around by enabling the TVs sync adjustment and disabling auto lip sync on the AVR whilst using ARC. More testing to complete. When it all works, it’s definitely the best AIO solution.
PCs are the fastest with Kodi, a decent one at least, but a quality Android box is more reliable and way less power and noise. I have the NVIDIA Shield Pro, Beelink Gt King (newest) and Gt King Pro. 
The best is the GT King Pro as I never have to reset it due to a hang up or freeze while the other two are both very good but have the occasional hiccup and need to be reset. My main work tower with an Intel 4790K and couple of R390 cards is older but perfectly fine and definitely superior but it's big and loud and eats power. 
The mini-PCs are quite good for about a year then they seem to die.
If you have decent internet there are plugins for live streaming the F1 races as well as replays.
(2023-05-24, 05:30)hebekiah Wrote: The mini-PCs are quite good for about a year then they seem to die.
Meh, perhaps you are just unlucky. I have a couple of 'simple' pc boxes (passively cooled) that still work, such as a Celeron 1037 from the Intel 'Ivy Bridge' generation, which is some 8(?) woops, 10 years old. It's now used as a 24/7 server but it still runs fine.

(2023-05-24, 05:30)hebekiah Wrote: If you have decent internet there are plugins for live streaming the F1 races as well as replays.
Let's not start promoting the not-so-legal stuff here, unless you want your forum account to crash into the barriers prematurely.
"Meh, perhaps you are just unlucky." Or perhaps you got lucky or early flagship models were more robust. We have used 10 of them at work stations and home environment. Accidentally ordered some B-Max instead of Beelink and they had more issues.
I did try to be careful and not promote any "not-so-legal stuff" and did not suggest avoiding paywalls or subscriptions: you went there. (but, yeah, I didn't exclude that either)
(2023-07-14, 20:22)hebekiah Wrote: you went there. (but, yeah, I didn't exclude that either)

I know.
(2022-10-18, 16:32)safetyp1 Wrote: Surprised that CEC still works in this setup, the shield remote turns everything on and off.

CEC is a common bus between HDMI devices - so an HDMI device connected directly to a TV can still switch off an AVR connected to another HDMI input on the TV as the TV, device and AVR are all on the same CEC bus I think (or usually are?)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC or Android box? Reqs inside0