No sound from Kodi on my Raspberry Pi 4
Just an update for those who may be interested. Sound continues to come and go for no apparent reason. To be clear, I have never lost the sound on the Raspberry Pi. It's strictly the Kodi app that seems have problems.

A week ago, I moved the OS to an SSD and have been booting from that (no SD card in use anymore). It doesn't seem to have changed much, but it should be more reliable and has more space for content later. This doesn't appear to relate to the sound issue.

Yesterday and the day before that I watched the first episode of season 4 of the The Expanse with full sound on Prime, after previously finishing season 4 of Stranger Things on Netflix. Today Kodi went silent again.

I went through all the usual audio settings but nothing seems to work. I left Kodi and updated the Raspberry Pi OS then rebooted. Still no sound.

Based on past experience, I assume that in a day or two sound will return (fingers crossed).
And on the 4th day sound magically returned. I checked in to see if I could watch one of the 3 new episodes of The Rings of Power and heard a bleep from Kodi. Of course, the Prime Video add-on had reset the language to Arabic but that was easy enough to fix.

A few times during watching the episode (season1, episode 6), the playback stopped. The interface was still active but the progress/time bar and the picture didn't change. I had to exit the episode and resume watching to get it to start working again.

The last time, the interface froze for at least 10 seconds - probably more. When it started reacting again, it had a queue of escape keys so it took right back to main Kodi panel. When I resumed the episode, the sound was missing. However I stopped playback, exited the episode then resumed it and the sound came back.
(2022-10-06, 12:45)popcornmix Wrote: kodi (assuming you are on RPiOS bullseye) by default will disable pulseaudio when launched. That allsows kodi access to features like passthrough.
You could try launching kodi with "kodi --pulse" which will leave pulse running. Then make sure the audio output settings are set to pulseaudio in kodi.
Okay, 1: How long has that been the case and 2: WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU DISABLE PULSE BY DEFAULT AND COMPLETELY UNDOCUMENTED? I've just spent three hours in a blind panic trying to work out why I can't get Kodi to recognise Pulse and this is literally the only mention I can find of this behaviour!
(2023-01-20, 12:07)holybladder Wrote: WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU DISABLE PULSE BY DEFAULT AND COMPLETELY UNDOCUMENTED? I've just spent three hours in a blind panic trying to work out why I can't get Kodi to recognise Pulse and this is literally the only mention I can find of this behaviour!
Because pulse stops kodi's audio passthrough options from working, and if we didn't we'd get more complaints about why it was impossible to enable audio passthrough.
I've had a few days now with sound but each day when I watch something, I find the audio is set to Arabic and subtitles have been turned on.

To be clear, I set the audio to English and make that the default for all media and turn off the subtitles and do the same. I don't shut down Kodi either, usually. But when I come back, the audio is set back to Arabic. Today, the sound volume was also set to -60db but, unlike the normal "no sound" problem, this is easily identified and fixed.

Interestingly, the volume boost I use (+10db) seems to retain its value.
(2023-01-22, 03:56)garydale Wrote: ... But when I come back, the audio is set back to Arabic. ...
it may be something with an addon, assuming its not a local video, whats the source this is happening from?
I am having the EXACT same experience as you. Can you tell me in the end what you think the solution might be?
(2023-03-14, 05:30)tinpanalley Wrote: I am having the EXACT same experience as you. Can you tell me in the end what you think the solution might be?

the accepted solution found is on post #10 if you read back

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3113377
Yeah, I read the thread, and actually, he states several times after that that the solution didn't work.
(2023-01-22, 03:56)garydale Wrote: I've had a few days now with sound but each day when I watch something, I find the audio is set to Arabic and subtitles have been turned on.

To be clear, I set the audio to English and make that the default for all media and turn off the subtitles and do the same. I don't shut down Kodi either, usually. But when I come back, the audio is set back to Arabic. Today, the sound volume was also set to -60db but, unlike the normal "no sound" problem, this is easily identified and fixed.

Interestingly, the volume boost I use (+10db) seems to retain its value.

Hey, so I can't solve this problem on my end. Do you happen to know if there's a version beyond which this started to happen? Because I know that the install I had from about 3 years ago never had this problem on the exact same Rpi4 I'm having trouble with now.
Don't know yet. It's been happening with every version of Kodi (including the LibreElec distro that I used to use).  I haven't watched any streaming for the last 2 or 3 months but I just went back on and sound is still working.  I can't say if it's fixed or if I just happened to return when it is working. I'm in the process of disconnecting from cable TV and switching my viewing to streaming content, so I need Kodi sound to be reliable.
Hi, I had the same problem, I solved it by starting Kodi in fullscreen mode: in "normal" mode the audio doesn't work, in fullscreen mode it always works! Don't ask me why but this is how it works WITHOUT making any changes to the configuration files or anything else

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound from Kodi on my Raspberry Pi 40