2.35:1 screen handling of aspect-ratio changing movies
Some movies use changing aspect ratios during the movie. Examples are the new Top Gun Maverick where it changes between 16:9 to 2.35 during the movie. For people having chosen a 2.35:1 screen, this is extremely annoying.

The feature I would love for KODI to have: KODI should be able to always display a movie in it's full width and you should then be able to choose where the top and button of your screen is (which you can already do in the video calibration). KODI should then completely crop/remove all video content below and above your screen. The end result is, that you would see a movie like Top Gun Maverisk as intended in all the 2.35:1 scenes and when the movie changes aspect ratio to 16:9, you won't notice because the image will be cropped.

I know of many people who would appreciate a feature like this. I will gladly assist in making the use cases and various settings.
This would be a bit of an ask.  The movie is still 16:9, be it 1920x1080 on the blu-ray or 3840x2160 on the UHD Blu-Ray.  The 2.35:1 segments have hard letter boxing to fit in the 16:9 frame.  What you're asking for would be real time detection of the letter boxing, then with an automatic crop and zoom to be carried out, and then automatically undone when returning to the full frame images.  So you'd need a basic machine vision processing running and scanning the video at all times and to respond in less than one frame.
I agree. But I was actually asking for the "simple" version, as I know real-time detection is difficult and CPU-consuming.

What would satisfy my goal was, to basically just crop the image without any "intelligence". So above and below the "2.35:1 frame", just crop. The displayed video will always by full width
Have a look at this new addon, still a work in progress... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=369869
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-11-05, 21:28)Karellen Wrote: Have a look at this new addon, still a work in progress... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=369869

Thanks, I actually looked at it before creating this thread, but the add-on doesn't fulfill the need (see this post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3112935)

I need to "crop" the 16:9 video to a 2.35:1 frame. (Same width but height changed)
(2022-11-05, 21:56)Jonas_h Wrote: I need to "crop" the 16:9 video to a 2.35:1 frame. (Same width but height changed)

You could try manually to adjust such videos using ffmpeg, and create a cropped version with a 21:9 aspect of the whole video. Then, no aspect changes by the player during that video would be necessary.
The only changing aspect videos I have come across already added black bar sections to those video parts where the display was 2.35:1, making it harder for the video player to sense the difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2.35:1 screen handling of aspect-ratio changing movies0