Req Add separate subtitle color option for HDR content
I know that this has been mentioned before, but I didn't want to necro old threads and, more importantly, this seems to me like the right timing to bring this up as the needed pieces of the puzzle seem to be in place. Most importatly, proper HDR content cataloguing is landing in v20. Add to that the extensive rework that subtitles are getting in v20 and this seems like a no-brainer to me, un less I'm missing something.

As for reasoning, it's well understood that a sub color that serves SDR content well will always be way too bright for HDR and, as an added "bonus" will also probably mess with TV's auto-dynamic tonemapping function in the case of vanilla HDR10. HDR blurays take this into account by providing their subtitle images in a color similar to the "Dark Gray" that's available in KODI v19(are they also pre-tonemapped?). Conversely, that sort of dark gray will not be easily legible for SDR content. There's just no way to have a single color work well with both AFAIK.
(2022-11-11, 22:55)HLLLLLLLLL Wrote: un less I'm missing something.

On windows you are missing this:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18984
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21973
(2022-11-17, 11:51)jogal Wrote:
(2022-11-11, 22:55)HLLLLLLLLL Wrote: un less I'm missing something.

On windows you are missing this:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18984
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21973

True, I wasn't aware, since I'm not really using KODI on Win. Do you have any idea if there's any such work underway for Andoid? Regardless, I still feel that it wopuld be a good idea to have the option.
Hi, I'd really like to see these settings on linux too as it could help a lot of users with libre/coreELEC boxes.
I agree with that, HDR mode and subtitles could  be dangerous for OLED displays (burn in). Personally I change the subtitles opacity (or color), but it's difficult to do that every time. I hope that they add this option soon on Android (/TV) version also.
(2022-12-16, 11:14)AntonyT Wrote: I agree with that, HDR mode and subtitles could  be dangerous for OLED displays (burn in). Personally I change the subtitles opacity (or color), but it's difficult to do that every time. I hope that they add this option soon on Android (/TV) version also.

Yes, that too, though I personally don't think that is still a concern with 2018+ OLEDs. Whatever the reasoning, though, I'm surprised that this post isn't getting any more traction.
Unfotunatelly nether on Kodi v20 option "GUI peak luminance in HDR PQ mode" is available on Android TV Sad
Each OS has it's own unique way is displaying video so it's not something you can simply enable for every OS Kodi runs on. So to get this on Android someone needs to code it for the Android display methods, however the Team currently lacks any with both the knowledge and the time so might take someone from outside the Team having a go.
(2023-01-17, 17:14)jjd-uk Wrote: Each OS has it's own unique way is displaying video so it's not something you can simply enable for every OS Kodi runs on. So to get this on Android someone needs to code it for the Android display methods, however the Team currently lacks any with both the knowledge and the time so might take someone from outside the Team having a go.
I presume that you are referring to the equivalent work done on Windows to "tone-map" the entire GUI, and I can imagien that that's no small feat. However, this ties neatly into my original reasoning for this feature request: even if it may be somewhat superseded by a more ample rework, having the option to set a different subtitle color for HDR content makes total sense and could be platform-independent, considering that HDR detection and all that subtitle rework are already released with v20. Subtitles beeing, adfter all, the biggest problem in this regard.
(2023-01-17, 17:14)jjd-uk Wrote: Each OS has it's own unique way is displaying video so it's not something you can simply enable for every OS Kodi runs on. So to get this on Android someone needs to code it for the Android display methods, however the Team currently lacks any with both the knowledge and the time so might take someone from outside the Team having a go.

As a developer I understand this limitation, of course you don’t want to cut features per OS Smile. But it’s a pity Sad and uncomfortable to view dark scenes with peak brightness on subtitles (and dangerous on OLED)

As HLLLLLLLLL said, the main problem isn’t on GUI (we use it for few seconds and only on video playback) but on subtitles. Currently there is an option to change the opacity of subtitles and it works.
One way is to allow us to choose different subtitles settings for SDR and HDR content. But another way is to enable “GUI peak luminance in HDR PQ mode” only for subtitles that changes the opacity, and in future if it’s possible to find way to build entire functionality on Android (/TV).

But if the problem is how to “detect” HDR content on Android TV’s I will understand it.

By the way, thank you and the KODI team for the best Media Player that ever made Smile, personally I choose Android TV only for KODI option.
(2023-01-18, 20:14)AntonyT Wrote: But if the problem is how to “detect” HDR content on Android TV’s I will understand it.

That is covered, as mentioned in my OP.
(2023-01-18, 20:27)HLLLLLLLLL Wrote:
(2023-01-18, 20:14)AntonyT Wrote: But if the problem is how to “detect” HDR content on Android TV’s I will understand it.

That is covered, as mentioned in my OP.
I mean for widevine streaming addons (Disney+, Netflix etc). I don't know if there is a similar procedure for that, but thanks for the link I will read the details.
(2023-01-18, 20:45)AntonyT Wrote: I mean for widevine streaming addons (Disney+, Netflix etc). I don't know if there is a similar procedure for that, but thanks for the link I will read the details.

I test KODI v20 for few days on my Google TV (Android 10 and 12) using Netflix and Disney plus addons (I test it also in Windows version of KODI)

As you mentioned for local files HDR/Dolby Vision tag appeared on media info. For Netflix addon (CastagnaIT) it works also even if it’s not exported on library, all episodes/movies tagged as HDR/Dolby Vision at start (without playit). Disney+ (SlyGuy) addon have different approach. First it doesn’t support export on library. Also, watchlist items doesn’t tagged as HDR/Dolby Vision. But the good is when it played once and returned on list, HDR/Dolby Vision tag (and more info) appeared as normally. Maybe Disney+ addon doesn’t request for each item further info unless it played once.

So, it’s possible to detect HDR/Dolby vision on streams, and if someone add an extra feature on subtitle options for different settings on HDR content will be work.
Hi, it seems things are moving well regarding subtitles and HDR, great! I'm on the latest kodi version (using CoreELEC on a ODroid N2+) and I can now see that HDR information is available on the UI.

What should the next step be ?
A new setting with : 
- different color option for SDR and HDR ?
- color for SDR and the same color but darker for HDR ?
Or an addon that sets subtitle color regarding SDR/HDR status ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add separate subtitle color option for HDR content0