Linux Differences between -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gl and -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles
Is there a document that contrasts the two options for -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM= in terms of feature set, limitations, etc.?  Context is Linux X11.  Thanks.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I built a copy with gles rather than gl and found that on x11, kodi could not playback HEVC content (did not test x264). Just got a black screen. Perhaps I am missing something as a dep or a configure option.  Is this expected?
@popcornmix - any thoughts?
Hardware decode produces frames in custom YUV format (h264 and 8-bit hevc use SAND128, and 10-bit hevc uses P030).
This can be displayed fine using the DRM renderer, but is tricky (and less efficient) to import into GL (either GL or GLES).

Disabling HW decode will fix it. Using DRM renderer (so building for gbm rather than x11) will fix it.

It is possible it will work with a new enough mesa version. The recent commits that include this:
Code:
commit e97b20f3ca5e874d6944e5f914bd32b2321afa72
Author: Jose Maria Casanova Crespo <[email protected]>
Date:   Wed Nov 9 13:10:12 2022 +0100

v3d: Also expose DRM_FORMAT_MOD_BROADCOM_SAND128 with PIPE_FORMAT_P030
should add the ability to import SAND128/P030 into 3d hardware, and so may make this work
(I haven't tested this explicitly - but I've heard it was working with a development version of VLC).
Thanks.  I verified that using gles + gbm on x86_64 works... it just messes up my lircd remote.  I want to keep hardware decoding so I will probably just stick with gl/X11.  I tried using mesa-22.3.0 which should include the comment you mentioned and found that under gles/X11 the HEVC videos would not play on Matrix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Differences between -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gl and -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles0