Vero 4K+ vs. Odroid N2+ 2/4Gb
I'm debating between the two products.

They will be used just for Kodi, connected to a 4K HDR TV. I need to install rclone on the device, to mount a cloud drive and access it through Kodi.

What would you suggest? Vero 4K+ seems more easy to install but, on the other hand, I perceive it as less "open", hence I fear using rclone on it might be more problematic. It also comes with "just" 2GB of RAM and, again, I fear that might be a problem for Kodi+rclone.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2022-11-24, 19:08)ashlar Wrote: I'm debating between the two products.

They will be used just for Kodi, connected to a 4K HDR TV. I need to install rclone on the device, to mount a cloud drive and access it through Kodi.

What would you suggest? Vero 4K+ seems more easy to install but, on the other hand, I perceive it as less "open", hence I fear using rclone on it might be more problematic. It also comes with "just" 2GB of RAM and, again, I fear that might be a problem for Kodi+rclone.

Obviously biased as Vero is our own product, but:

Vero 4K + is open source -- but it focuses on one disto: OSMC. There is full access via SSH to an APT based system (Debian), so you can do what you want. I don't know how much RAM you'll need for rclone however -- perhaps others can advise or you can assess on an existing Linux machine. Playing a 4K HDR video will see about 600MB RAM used in a typical scenario with a large buffer.
I own both and both are good Kodi devices,
I've no idea what rclone is so can't help with that but the major differences are:-
Vero has two USB 2 ports whilst the N2+ has 4 USB 3 ports.
The Vero has built in wifi and bluetooth the Odroid doesn't.
Vero comes with a very nice remote control but there isn't one with the N2+, but OSMC sell the remote separately so I have one of those to work with my Odroid machine.
@Sam.Nazarko and his team offer excellent after care and advice whereas you're pretty much on your own with the Odroid (there is help on the coreelec forums but it pales compared to OSMC)
Kodi operation and access via SSH is pretty much identical on both (well it is for me who hardly ever touches Linux), although you get a full distro with Vero and a "just enough" one with coreelec.

All of that being said I'm sorry Sam but I slightly prefer my N2+ to my Vero, it might be in my imagination but it just seems a bit of a smoother and snappier Kodi experience with the Odroid device
(2022-11-25, 07:13)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:

Vero 4K + is open source -- but it focuses on one disto: OSMC. There is full access via SSH to an APT based system (Debian), so you can do what you want. I don't know how much RAM you'll need for rclone however -- perhaps others can advise or you can assess on an existing Linux machine. Playing a 4K HDR video will see about 600MB RAM used in a typical scenario with a large buffer.
I honestly don't judge your bias negatively. Quite the opposite. It's your product, you're here, you're answering. That's a big plus in my book. Thank you.

What's the fastest microSD card you recommend? Don't need brand name (although I wouldn't object at all to it) but what spec to look for. rclone allows for file caching while downloading and I'd prefer to do it on a microSD, so as to allow for easily fixable wear and tear. I suppose the speed of reading a media file is plenty enough from modern SD cards.

rclone shouldn't be using too much RAM from all I understand (but I will double check with a friend using Linux, so far I've used it only on Windows).

Edit: checked RAM usage, it should be quite low. Vero 4K+ it is, then. It looks like the more complete package, with less time spent fiddling. Hope I'm right. Bought it.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2022-11-25, 14:25)ashlar Wrote:
(2022-11-25, 07:13)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:

I honestly don't judge your bias negatively. Quite the opposite. It's your product, you're here, you're answering. That's a big plus in my book. Thank you.

What's the fastest microSD card you recommend? Don't need brand name (although I wouldn't object at all to it) but what spec to look for. rclone allows for file caching while downloading and I'd prefer to do it on a microSD, so as to allow for easily fixable wear and tear. I suppose the speed of reading a media file is plenty enough from modern SD cards.

rclone shouldn't be using too much RAM from all I understand (but I will double check with a friend using Linux, so far I've used it only on Windows).

Edit: checked RAM usage, it should be quite low. Vero 4K+ it is, then. It looks like the more complete package, with less time spent fiddling. Hope I'm right. Bought it.

Pretty much any modern microSD card should do the trick. I wouldn't go over the top with spending.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero 4K+ vs. Odroid N2+ 2/4Gb0