MKA audio stream switch
Hi Guys,

certain MKA files include 48/24 DTS and 96/24 FLAC files. 
The audio switch option during audio playback not avaiable on the GUI, tried even with JSON-RPC with the same result: "Failed to execute method."

Is there any way to switch audio stream during audio playback?
Any workaround? Should I add them to Music video instead of Music?

Thanks.
Ok, could've checked before I post, but adding it to Music video doesn't work.
MKA tags is not supported by Kodi.

You can use a cue file to get MKA files into the Kodi music library.

Regarding multiple audio streams: If you really need to have two then create two versions of the file. One with each codec then you can use a file format with tags that are supported in Kodi: FLAC for pcm, .m4a for DTS and Atmos etc.
Actually, mka tags ARE read by my Kodi Nexus, CoreELEC flavor. I've generated some files with Dolby Atmos tracks from my Blu-rays, tagged them in foobar2000 from Discogs and musicbrainz and Kodi can read and play sond and info perfectly. The Atmos symbol lights up on my receiver as sound comes in via HDMI pass-through. The only small thing that doesn't work yet is that the files don't appear as albums in my music overview.

If anybody wants to test tags and receiver response, here's a "small" file (well, 26 MB) ripped from the BR "John Williams - The Berlin Concert" which doesn't contain any copyrighted material, just applause. The immersion is still pretty impressive, though.

Incidentally, the file contains two streams, one TRUEHD and the other AC3 if you want to try switching.
(2023-01-13, 00:25)HeresJohnny Wrote: The only small thing that doesn't work yet is that the files don't appear as albums in my music overview.

No, they'll appear as audiobooks.  I have some stuff in mind to change this, but whether or not it sees the light of day.........
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2023-01-13, 09:56)black_eagle Wrote:
(2023-01-13, 00:25)HeresJohnny Wrote: The only small thing that doesn't work yet is that the files don't appear as albums in my music overview.

No, they'll appear as audiobooks.  I have some stuff in mind to change this, but whether or not it sees the light of day.........

Even if I add .mka in advancedsettings under musicextensions it's not picked up as music... that should at least work?
Shouldn't need any advancedsettings to make it work.

Vanilla fresh install of Kodi.  Music added as a source, then navigating music -> files -> pink floyd -> Live at Knebworth 1990 gives me this

Scanning that to my library gives me

Debug log of you attempting to scan an mka might be revealing.....I guess you will have already looked but it would be a place to start.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Here's a logfile. There are 18 files in that folder, 9x FLAC with a 5.1 mix and 9x MKA with 7.1 Atmos mix. Only the FLACs get picked up for some reason. If I want to play the MKAs I need to go to file view.
I looked in the database and the MKA files have sorted themselves in the table "audiobook" as singles. Maybe this could be solved with a single switch in Kodi like "Use audiobook functionality" to turn filling this table on or off?
Nevermind.  The problem I had was the .MKA files were on the internal Shield hard drive and despite it apparently having file permissions, I apparently needed to check them off again anyway. 

I have found from another site that .MKA Atmos music will apparently play gapless if you force it to use the videoplayer instead of the paplayer.  The time count shows the total into the single file album instead of the song, but it doesn't "stutter" like it used to.  I have to test it with something like Pink Floyd to see how well the gapless works, however.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I can verify .MKA files that have an album in them have gapless playback if you use the Video Player instead of PAPlayer in Nexus. That's great. It solves a lot of album issues. It also doesn't cut off the end of a song like PAPlayer dies with that format.

Unfortunately, the playback position shows the position in the album, not the song itself. It also doesn't update the display when the song/track changes. So it's a bit of a tradeoff, unfortunately.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKA audio stream switch0