Req find a way to retain privs on shield tv when updated
flood of posts because people cant search "Kodi doesnt see my drives after update" maybe theres a way to retain or re-request the privs from android before the other 60% of the play store users get their updates
@jepsizofye

Try posting now.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks @Karellen
My understanding is it's something that Google requires so not anything we can do about it.
@jjd-uk forgive me if im talking out of turn but i believe there is something that can be done from kodi, i think this has to do with the way the main kodi process code is separated from the android process code
basically the android side is just there to start the static library which is the core code you would find on most other systems

i believe the answer is here https://developer.android.com/training/p...requesting in requesting the permissions from the android code side of things, could be ran as a check and then request if it doesnt have permissions

of course, this is not easy because the android part is the rather "dumb" part of the code which doesnt really do any kodi things so it doesnt read or know about sources in kodi

not calling the code dumb just that in this space its, for lack of a better comparison, more or less like a batch script that starts kodi but doesnt interact with it
That is done

See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...sh.java.in

All we can do is request the permission, we dont choose what levels are shown, and the All Files All the time is not a level Android shows at request. There truely is nothing we can do about it.

We had to jump through an insane amount of hoops for google to even allow that level of file permission to be used. Its not something any app can use
that sucks then, oh well eventually everyone will be on the same page and know how to change settings on their own devices (ha ha)

only thing left to do is mark this thread solved or done or delete it or leave it, whatever feels best in the moment

thanks for all the replies
i see someone found a *workaround* to the flood of posts by posting a banner up top, very nice thinking!
people are still struggling to comprehend android needing permissions

would it be possible to compromise, have kodi access a file on startup just to check if it has permissions to do so and if not alert the user they need to adjust the settings?

(note we're also talking about people who dont feel it necessary to inform others what android device they have and cant follow the nvidia directions simply because it says file management app instead of kodi)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
find a way to retain privs on shield tv when updated0