my experience with kodi of late
It's bugs like that you should be opening Kodi issues for with debug logs etc. Maybe just a race condition somewhere.

It'll be a random issue that keeps annoying people but never enough they take action.
(2023-09-25, 20:28)matthuisman Wrote: It's bugs like that you should be opening Kodi issues for with debug logs etc. Maybe just a race condition somewhere.

It'll be a random issue that keeps annoying people but never enough they take action.

true however if you report an issue and even mention 'when running this addon' they will defer you to the addon developer most of the time

i just keep focusing on writing better code, limit where it's too much, use del when possible, reuse connections etc and so on

when i can drill down on an error to the point where it's almost more practical to submit a PR then i will likely do so but there are too many variables usually

plus 'if kodi is not run with addons - there is no issue' so i dont think there would be much investigation in it
just give them basic python addon that calls Container.Refresh() in a loop x times to cause the crash?
variables for the actual crash on my dev PC
  1. i am running a self compiled kodi which has not been updated since march (due to debian holding back releases)
  2. i am running on debian 11 where 12 is now stable
  3. i can not provide the build in question nor the source it was built from so i would have to retest in a new compile from master and as well compare it to a stable
  4. what if it is my python environment? i should eliminate that before driving a developer nuts
  5. the code in question would not be excessively hard to reproduce in a controlled environment - but i would still need to strip it down and present it for controlled testing
variables for android high resource usage might be easier to duplicate but i would still need to cross check everything and provide a stripped down version of an addon before annoying a dev
almost 1 year update

i have been through a number of devices over the passed year, android, coreelec, libreelec, with varying degrees of usage including the androidtv-client for jellyfin
i still can't get the addons to work that didn't work on the initial post
i still have to endlessly adjust and fix things to suite my use

jellyfin as a server has been great but it's clients suck, with the kodi addon everything is copacetic with jellyfin (but this is not about jellyfin nor is the place for it)
jellyfin plus kodi has been a powerhouse where it eliminates a lot of downside of letting kodi manage it's own metadata including speed and centralization as well as multi-user and watched state tracking

unfortunately for kodi i recently purchased a Zidoo Z9X Pro which, as it turns out, does everything i want from kodi and then some without the broken addons and endless fixing and self-imposed limits to keep it from crashing if you load too much

it feels more like the purpose built devices i used to buy BITD where the software and hardware work in harmony (like the WDTV and Boxee)

so in 2024 and for the foreseeable future i will be using Zidoo for my home theater needs and not Kodi

i will still hang around the forum and help out where-ever possible as i do still see potential in the project but it needs the polishing that i recommended almost a year ago

thanks for all the hard work thus far and i hope to see good things in the future

edit

*it was not my intent to review the product on this unrelated forum (or this unrelated section of the unrelated forum), the intent was to offer some reasons as to why it drew me away, let me rephrase a bit
@izprtxqkft

This hardware synopsis really should be relegated to the hardware forum; instead of turning this thread into a discourse on the latest Chinese offering.  Of course I'm happy that users keep pushing limits and exploring new hardware with reports to our forum, given the specs it does seem to offer most of the features home theatre fans look for. I have seen this in the past with many devices which have their strengths, but most are proprietary, not open source and usually carry a heavy price tag, customization isn't a strong suit and developer support is only going to be around while the money is good. Liaison with support and streaming sites may also be a stumbling issue given it's for-profit trajectory.

I certainly can speak for Kodi reliability and it's features. I note a lot of your complaints are no longer the core project but with 3rd party scripts, add-ons, patches, layers and software with limited support. I appreciate your posts and contributions to the forum, we hope you will still entertain us with your observations and insights in the future. Kodi can only get better with community support in all areas.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my experience with kodi of late0