my experience with kodi of late
update

with using kodi v21 alpha on fireos everything has been copacetic for the last 30+ days

being mindful of what addons are installed, sticking to the default skin has had tremendous improvements where i could now compare it to a windows server setup instead of pre-sp1 xp

i still get an occasional freeze if i attempt to move too quickly when its starting up but being aware of it i just allow it a few seconds to finish its startup and its solid after that

the addons that caused issues still cause issues though, i simply dont use them any longer - i see the same issues reported by their users on this forum but that is nothing kodi is in control of and cannot be held accountable for

-----

so, my experience of late (now) has been very positive

keep up the good work team kodi and i will work with the addon developers where i see fit to resolve the other things
I love Kodi. I've used it daily for at 12 years and have to say the audio dropouts have been getting worse. My wife has even started to notice. Running through an AVR with a full Home Theater setup, I just need it to play the signal.
(2023-06-21, 02:41)Tennyten Wrote: have to say the audio dropouts have been getting worse.
Something not configured correctly? Post a Debug Log that captures the problem. Start a new thread.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Update, switched to VLC midway through a movie and not one audio drop out, perfect video, and no judder. Breath of fresh air. I know there's alot of work being done coding behind the scenes but before any features there should be two things on the list. Flawless Video and Audio. Don't think I can play another video through Kodi until that's the case.
(2023-06-21, 05:40)Tennyten Wrote: Update, switched to VLC midway through a movie and not one audio drop out, perfect video, and no judder. Breath of fresh air. I know there's alot of work being done coding behind the scenes but before any features there should be two things on the list. Flawless Video and Audio. Don't think I can play another video through Kodi until that's the case.

nice you figured it out, now you can stop hijacking my thread and head over to their forum to tell them how great their software is - https://forum.videolan.org
(2023-06-21, 05:40)Tennyten Wrote: switched to VLC midway through a movie
For hardware challenged systems, External players (wiki) VLC specific. Issues should be addressed in one of the support forums as @jepsizofye suggested.
I don’t have a hardware challenged system lol. It’s a home theater. Turns out I’ve had some level of adjust refresh rate on for 10+ years, mostly on ‘start and stop’ due to people’s advice and simply turning this off fixed the problem. That’s why other software worked straight away due to not having that feature.
Putting up with audio drop outs with more than capable equipment for so long drove me bonkers.
(2023-07-22, 16:19)Tennyten Wrote: adjust refresh rate on for 10+ years - simply turning this off fixed the problem.
There was a time older equipment and lower resolutions/refresh etc worked fine, needs of modern users demand more. Suggest your hardware is not keeping up.
8 months later ...

addons that didn't work still don't but i have given no input to the developers

i have been compiling my own versions of kodi with quite a few things removed and/or disabled just to improve stability - nothing i can contribute because it only results in loss of features for other users who may actually want them
- disabled PVR* by removing their startup entries in ServiceManager.cpp
- disabled the Game* subsystem in the same way as well as from advancedsettings
- compiled without SMB/NFS/UPnP/MariaDB
- removed OS components on android which were using more than a little memory so that kodi could have more

and yet i still would not turn it over to someone non-technical because of the chance it will break

it still occasionally freezes where i have to force-stop, still crashes, still consumes more and more memory, still cannot be allowed to run when the device is idle

the one consistently working component is the video playback
- developers like fritsch have been diligent about getting audio under control
- developers like quietvoid still pushing the dolby vision side of things

the one thing that has changed dramatically since the first post here is my level of understanding of the inner-workings of kodi and how certain parts of kodi are actually unmaintained as a whole even though they occasionally get a patch

kodi is still greater than other offerings in terms of features and support but lagging behind in terms of the platform i still choose to run which is android

honestly, i have no ideas at all to make kodi better other than a total revamp using modern sub components such as a webkit engine and/or a node.js engine to aid or replace python

anyway, thanks for reading my rants i hope it serves to motivate and push improvements

thanks to everyone for their time on the project
May I ask why you removed PVR from your private build? Did you experience any problems because it was enabled which were resolved by removing it? I would have a look at the respective issues once they arrive at GitHub.
(2023-09-24, 05:20)ksooo Wrote: May I ask why you removed PVR from your private build? Did you experience any problems because it was enabled which were resolved by removing it? I would have a look at the respective issues once they arrive at GitHub.

nothing like that, with resource limitations on android i was looking for Anything large to remove, both Game and PVR are a large portion so i pulled them

i have never used PVR or Game in ~20 years of using kodi so i would not be the person to ask if there were an issue with them
That would be an interesting build to have though. I use an NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 model) and would love to have a "Kodi-light" build too as I don't use PVR or RetroPlay to play games through Kodi. (Although I do occasionally use the Shield to emulate older consoles via RetroArch and some stand-alone emulators. Having Kodi completely unloaded would free up space for gaming on the Shield.)
(2023-09-24, 20:15)selfcontained Wrote: That would be an interesting build to have though. I use an NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 model) and would love to have a "Kodi-light" build too as I don't use PVR or RetroPlay to play games through Kodi. (Although I do occasionally use the Shield to emulate older consoles via RetroArch and some stand-alone emulators. Having Kodi completely unloaded would free up space for gaming on the Shield.)

startup times and resource usage are definitely improved but it is a pita removing them

to remove retroplayer you have to remove game, to remove game you have to remove controllers from input and then there are still remnants you have to sift through by compile/fail a bunch of times

pvr has some remnants too, tags in videocore as i recall

perhaps if there is interest in a kodi-light we could "Feature Request" that the code can be compartmentalized and things can be disabled with cmake options like here - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ts.txt#L57

then, "all users" can keep all features but developers can do custom builds

or i am just thinking out loud and team-kodi would not be interested in tagging their code segments with #ifdef
"components such as a webkit engine and/or a node.js engine to aid or replace python"

No. Kodi was well before the curve in python adoption and should be proud of using it before it was so popular. Replacing python with node would be rubbish. 😂
(2023-09-25, 06:58)matthuisman Wrote: "components such as a webkit engine and/or a node.js engine to aid or replace python"

No. Kodi was well before the curve in python adoption and should be proud of using it before it was so popular. Replacing python with node would be rubbish. 😂

Tongue

i can trace all of kodi's crashes to addons using python - i have never been able to crash node.js with a script (and ive ran some heavy multi-threaded ones leveraging SHA256 hashing)

that being said, none are yours and if i can fanboy out here for 1 second, i think yours are the best around - /end fanboy

i personally can crash kodi multiple times a day when testing out some addon code, not even on android, on a standard Intel i7 PC

i recently abandoned an addon because it was running just this side of "too much" then i tried adding features and it pushed it over the limit and became slow and unstable

-----
edit:

even though i feel your framework is the best - i can still crash kodi using it just by Issuing Container.Refresh() enough times

i just added a function in my addon which would route 300 movie results through your framework, using @plugin.route(), import plugin, folder = plugin.Folder, folder.add_item(...)

~10-15 refreshes

so it's not the quality of the addon code that's an issue

Quote:Kodi (21.0-ALPHA1 (20.90.101) Git:20230321-124023d6ff). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
Running on Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye), kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 5.10.0-25-amd64

the same code does Not crash on my android build but it is using 815M physical memory after running it - for context kodi uses 275M at startup when idle

Quote:Starting Kodi (21.0-ALPHA2 (20.90.201) Git:20230721-f087be63b4-dirty). Platform: Android ARM 32-bit
Running on Amazon AFTGAZL with Android TV 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 5.4.125-ab23

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my experience with kodi of late0