• 2(current)
Release [obsolete - now in nightlies] Build - Dolby Vision compatibility/quality improvements
(2023-03-07, 19:05)quietvoid Wrote:
(2023-03-07, 18:35)aarodynamics Wrote: Is Kodi passing through TrueHD and DTS:X for you too? If so, how'd you accomplish that?

No, I just don't need those.
So close to a perfect device...
Do you know if the Shield still has the Red Push issue? Asking since you found the Fire TV to not have the ST2084 tracking issues described by RESET_9999.
I just wish someone could write some custom firmware for a readily available device, that a version of modern/maintained version of Kodi could come out for Realtek 1619DR devices, or that OSMC would release a Vero 4K++ already with DoVi P8.1 support.
let me add some here

this video https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=43254366

DOVI configuration record: version: 1.0, profile: 5, level: 9, rpu flag: 1, el flag: 0, bl flag: 1, compatibility id: 0

Kodi (20.0 (20.0.0) Git:20230220-3485a1274c) (from fritsch) - no DV
Kodi (21.0-ALPHA1 (20.90.101) Git:20230309-3940d2037f) (from fritsch) - no DV
Kodi (21.0-ALPHA1 (20.90.101) Git:20230130-649515c6c8) (from kodi-21-Omega-armeabi-v7a-release-quietvoid-2023-01-30.apk) - no DV

same device, same tv, same file, approximately the same timestamp. advanced video overlay on.

its really quite unmistakable side by side, sorry for the skew as you know firetv wont allow screenshots during video playback so i had to use a cell phone

video playback looks the same in all kodi installs, did not duplicate a new picture per install just to show the same thing

Debug Log for your reading pleasure includes component log on for video and 15 seconds of video playback

https://paste.kodi.tv/onuqoqofeh.kodi

jellyfin client on firetv gen3 using exoplayer

Kodi (-*)

follow up question
why did it choose to use OMX.amlogic.hevc.decoder.awesome instead of one of the OMX.amlogic.dolby-vision* ones?

EDIT:
follow up answer to follow up question
i backtracked this to CAndroidUtils and once i was there i realized it had not reported a DV display available - "CAndroidUtils: Display supported HDR types: HLG HDR10"

so now, i guess its moot until the decision to support DV on a setup is moved from does display support it to is video decoder present

i think im going to try a hack and just insist to kodi that it is a DV display
(2023-03-10, 00:00)jepsizofye Wrote: i backtracked this to CAndroidUtils and once i was there i realized it had not reported a DV display available - "CAndroidUtils: Display supported HDR types: HLG HDR10"

so now, i guess its moot until the decision to support DV on a setup is moved from does display support it to is video decoder present

Well yes, does your display support Dolby Vision?
I don't know what would happen if the display capabilities would be overidden, most devices don't tone map.

Currently Kodi only selects the Dolby Vision decoder if both display and MediaCodec support Dolby Vision.
It's pretty clear in the logs:
Quote:CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::Open Dolby Vision playback support: Display: false, MediaCodec: true
Hello @jepsizofye, in case you want to try to see what happens with your device and get feedback: #22950

kodi-20230309-ec4cec90-PR22950-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20230309-ec4cec90-PR22950-arm64-v8a.apk  
it may not officially support DV, its from 2019 and when purchased dolby-vision wasnt a decision made as far as features

it *appears* that since jellyfin on the gen3 cube will use and output DV (the first picture above) using one of the OMX.amlogic.dolby-vision* there is no downside to allowing the codec to be used on my TV, it seems to tone map just fine

i understand my stuff is my stuff and kodi needs to do whats best supportable for many

but if its a matter of me changing displaySupportsDovi to true always then compiling my own version so i can enjoy DV i would take the responsibility for my own stuff

as far as your build, its moot since i realized theres nothing you can actually do if my display doesnt say its capable
(2023-03-07, 21:06)aarodynamics Wrote: So close to a perfect device...
Do you know if the Shield still has the Red Push issue? Asking since you found the Fire TV to not have the ST2084 tracking issues described by RESET_9999.
I just wish someone could write some custom firmware for a readily available device, that a version of modern/maintained version of Kodi could come out for Realtek 1619DR devices, or that OSMC would release a Vero 4K++ already with DoVi P8.1 support.

Yes, unfortunately the Shield still has the red push issue, it looks like Nvidia is never going to fix it, that’s why I also own a Zidoo Z9X. There is ZDMC for the Zidoo devices which calls the internal player for playback. They have t updated it to Nexus yet.
(2023-03-10, 01:26)joseluismarti Wrote: Hello @jepsizofye, in case you want to try to see what happens with your device and get feedback: #22950

right on

its works perfectly for the sample file

https://paste.kodi.tv/zixigexaxo.kodi

tested with a 3 more full hd "2160p.UHD.BluRay.REMUX" movies also perfect
tested DV from disney+ with matthuisman's addon and also perfect

-----
EDIT:

mutiple tests, played a 2hr 25m movie start to finish without downsides

please make this permanent or at least user configurable for those with capable displays
(2023-03-10, 01:15)quietvoid Wrote:
(2023-03-10, 00:00)jepsizofye Wrote: i backtracked this to CAndroidUtils and once i was there i realized it had not reported a DV display available - "CAndroidUtils: Display supported HDR types: HLG HDR10"

Well yes, does your display support Dolby Vision?
I don't know what would happen if the display capabilities would be overidden, most devices don't tone map.

Currently Kodi only selects the Dolby Vision decoder if both display and MediaCodec support Dolby Vision.
It's pretty clear in the logs:
Quote:CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::Open Dolby Vision playback support: Display: false, MediaCodec: true

AMLogic and MediaTek definitely do support LLDV (which you can fake on a panel with an EDID hacker) to get DoVi sent and decoded. AndroidTV on my Bravia X900E also recognizes this as DoVi being sent.

I don't know if there's a way to force it on the device to ignore EDID flags, but it definitely works well on a FireStick 4K and a chinese AML box.
just read everything on the PR, very happy it all worked out

thanks to everyone for bringing it all together
(2023-03-10, 01:26)joseluismarti Wrote: Hello @jepsizofye, in case you want to try to see what happens with your device and get feedback: #22950

Getting HTTP ERROR 404 Not Found. Is there a newer version? Thank you.
As it has been merged you can test the change with the latest v21 nightly build.

Let us know if you get any improvement or it looks the same.
I've rebased the build on the latest Kodi commit (2023-03-11).

Now there's also a new setting to ignore HDR10+ or Dolby Vision.
Before it was hardcoded to always ignore HDR10+.

I would open a PR for it but it's not ideal at all and still doesn't work for all video containers (just like Dolby Vision on-the-fly conversion).

64 bits build should be up soon-ish.
lets leave this thread to discuss quietvoid's work

made a general thread here for everything else - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=372462
@quietvoid
Thank you for this update. I was missing my HDR10+ movies.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[obsolete - now in nightlies] Build - Dolby Vision compatibility/quality improvements0