• 1(current)
Release [obsolete - now in nightlies] Build - Dolby Vision compatibility/quality improvements
Note: The changes previously discussed here are now all available in Kodi Omega nightlies.

Hello, I have made some Android builds to test pull requests that should improve current Kodi Dolby Vision playback.
They are built on top of Kodi master, so not compatible with 20 Nexus.

There are a couple of changes so far:
  • Implemented on-the-fly Dolby Vision profile 7 conversion.
    Upstream pull request: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/22546
    Now merged.

This feature adds a setting under the Videos/Processing section.
    Enabling the setting makes Kodi convert Dolby Vision profile 7 (single track/video) files into profile 8.1.
    Profile 7 is from UHD Blu-ray discs, this only applies to local backups made by MakeMKV.
    The setting also ignores the enhancement layer, so it does not get sent to the decoder.

It should help some devices that have issues when playing these type of files, such as blank screens or unstable playback.
    Some known devices this could help: FireTV devices, possibly some Android TVs.

• Added setting to choose between HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision playback.
    Upstream pull request: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24584
    Now merged.

The change adds a setting under the Videos/Processing section, where users can choose which HDR type should be allowed.
    By default, the video bitstream is kept intact, so all metadata is kept.

If you don't want HDR10+, uncheck HDR10+.
    If you don't want Dolby Vision, uncheck it.

For FireTV Stick 4K devices, it's recommended to only leave one enabled HDR format to avoid blank screen issues.
    You should set your preferred HDR format, or switch in between manually.

Both changes only work for MP4/MKV containers, maybe others.
.TS files are probably not going to be processed at all.

I'm interested in any feedback regarding the changes made, especially if there are regressions.
Or if it helps devices that I haven't listed as having problems.

As of 2024-01-28, the custom builds are not necessary anymore as all the patches were merged in Kodi upstream.
Nightlies starting from 2024-01-29 should contain both features described above.
Thanks for your efforts,.
it runs perfectly on the SonyTV 95H. FEL is not supported in 95H. Hopefully, your PR will pass the review quickly.
Waoh - that is awesome. Buidlsystem and dependency people are a bit concerned about the rust dependency - but let's see. Will check my "transparent hack" from the past tonight. Would be great to get this ancient Sony Hack out ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
There's a crash when playing .ts (transport stream) files,
I'll do a rebuild with the fix later.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it'll be possible to convert Dolby Vision when playing .ts, as the BitstreamConverter isn't used.
There might be other places where the bitstream can be modified, though.
Thank you for your work! Works good on my firestick 4k max, and my some other android tv boxes. Cool
I've updated the builds and description.
The 2nd change is now the revert of an old Sony HDR10 workaround.

While it might improve grey bars in Dolby Vision, it would be useful to know if Sony TVs still have the grey bars issues from https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=328294.
It's testable with cropped HDR10 videos, as far as I can tell.
hi,@quietvoid quietvoid,i just buy a ugoos am6b-plus,bu I opend the setting"Enabling the setting makes Kodi convert Dolby Vision profile 7 (single track/video) files into profile 8.1.",the playback also freezing.
Im use only  this build now, in all of my android devices, and my firestick 4K maxes.
I have no any problem at all.

Thanks again Smile
hi,@quietvoid ,I used your build on my ugoos am6b+,it play from the begging perfectly, but after ff/rw,or from middling playback, sometimes video freezing, but audio goes correctly, how can I do?
(2023-02-25, 10:49)jeffc3753 Wrote: hi,@quietvoid ,I used your build on my ugoos am6b+,it play from the begging perfectly, but after ff/rw,or from middling playback, sometimes video freezing, but audio goes correctly, how can I do?

Complain to Ugoos.
(2023-02-25, 16:42)quietvoid Wrote:
(2023-02-25, 10:49)jeffc3753 Wrote: hi,@quietvoid ,I used your build on my ugoos am6b+,it play from the begging perfectly, but after ff/rw,or from middling playback, sometimes video freezing, but audio goes correctly, how can I do?

Complain to Ugoos.
  Confused oh, thank you anyway.
@quietvoid Do you know of a device that can run Plex on Kodi with accurate DoVi P8 and Atmos TrueHD + DTS:X audio passthrough?

I tried your build on a Fire TV 4K Max with Plex Mod and it is great in theory but I ran into some issues with the video hitching/skipping and I also think there's likely an ST2084 tracking issue after reading this:

Thanks!
(2023-03-07, 03:09)aarodynamics Wrote: @quietvoid Do you know of a device that can run Plex on Kodi with accurate DoVi P8 and Atmos TrueHD + DTS:X audio passthrough?
Nope. My Fire TV Stick 4K Max works for me, and it doesn't have inaccurate PQ tracking (measured it).
Is Kodi passing through TrueHD and DTS:X for you too? If so, how'd you accomplish that?
(2023-03-07, 18:35)aarodynamics Wrote: Is Kodi passing through TrueHD and DTS:X for you too? If so, how'd you accomplish that?

No, I just don't need those.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[obsolete - now in nightlies] Build - Dolby Vision compatibility/quality improvements0