Samba version risk
I am curious about the risk of using Samba V1 in my home network.

I have been using V2, but I recently had issues with Kodi accessing my router with USB external memory - it was not streaming video (some videos) for more than 4-6 seconds, and it was getting a "software stopping connection" message.

After trying different configurations, shares, protocols and searching for fixes, I simply backed the maximum version down to Samba v1, and it instantly worked. (I am going to guess the difference between the router and Kodi v2 protocols had compatibility issues.)

I know that v1 is shunned, but I only use Kodi to access files on my own network (barring the YouTube add-on or Kodi updates).

Does this leave my network vulnerable?
(router has firewall enabled)

Thx

-Router: Asus RT-N66R with latest Merlin firmware.
-I am not able to to spend time updating Kodi and risk losing all the tweaks and additions I've made for Kodi, so I plan on using my current installation if vulnerability is reasonably low.
Kodi 18.7 on Raspberry Pi 4B
you should perform your own security analyses

here is a list of some vulnerabilities but by no means is exclusive - https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=smbv1
Thanks. Staying on v2 would be better.

To be direct, how do I get these two to be compatible on v2? Can't see what's so different between files.
Kodi 18.7 on Raspberry Pi 4B

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samba version risk0