Songs Sorting
I am trying to sort my songs by Artist and within Artist, alphabetical order within the category Songs.

I get many options to sort by such as by Title, Artist, Track, Genre etc.

However I cannot sort A-Z titles within Artist.

Sorting by Artist actually sorts them by Artist and Album.
Sorting by Artist/Year sorts them out by Artist and Date.

However there is no option to sort by Artist/A-Z.

What we really should have is the following within the sort options:

Artist/Title
Artist/Album
Artist/Year

Could somone kindly add this option in for me, it would be very greatly appreciated.
Can anyone help, is it possible to set up your own sorting criteria in advanced settings?
Or does Kodi need to be amended to allow a new sort to be added?
Or can it be done in a skin?
Would love to have the opton to sort by Artist/Title.

Thanks in advance.
(2023-02-21, 15:00)robertlaing Wrote: is it possible to set up your own sorting criteria in advanced settings?

No, it's not.

(2023-02-21, 15:00)robertlaing Wrote: does Kodi need to be amended to allow a new sort to be added?

Yes, the core code needs changing to add a new sort method.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks for the reply.
How do I go about getting the core code changed to add in this sort?
Or will someone who amends the code pick up my request on this thread?
I always wanted to make the sorting customizable, giving users total control and flexibity, but then realised that a 10ft GUI controlled by TV remote made such nuances just too difficult for users to control.  Even just one more sorting combination on what is already a long list is just too cumbersome for the UI. Instead I use an app on a tablet to browse my music collection and control Kodi, that allows far greater sort control and filtering than Kodi UI could ever offer.
Thanks for the reply.

It would be really useful for me if I could have the A-Z Title sort under Artist so I could see an A-Z of my songs under each artist on my TV using Kodi.
How about replacing Artist/ A-Z Album with Artist/A-Z Title?
Another potential option, for those who use the various  Kodi sharing solutions, is to leverage some of the sharing solution inherent capabilities to provide this type of functionality to Kodi clients.  The solution I use has a concept called Active Playlists which allows you to do multi-tier groupings (i,e, group by Artists) and then smart playlists capabilities (i.e. selection criteria) and then finally sorting.  Not a suggested option for stand-alone Kodi instances but maybe for those with multiple Kodi clients.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2023-02-24, 16:45)robertlaing Wrote: It would be really useful for me if I could have the A-Z Title sort under Artist so I could see an A-Z of my songs under each artist on my TV using Kodi.
How about replacing Artist/ A-Z Album with Artist/A-Z Title?

Why exactly?  What does this bring to the table that you can't get in another way?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here or anything, adding a sort like this is easy enough, I just want to understand why/how you would justify it to others, as I don't recall anyone else asking about it.
Having an A-Z sort of songs withing Artist makes more sense (well to me) than what we have now:

Sorting by Artist sorts them by Artist and Album.
Sorting by Artist/Year sorts them out by Artist and Date.

Sorting A-Z of songs within Artist would be very helpful to me because I would be able to see how many songs of the same name for each Artist I have, single, album version, live and mixes.
Yes sorting all of them A-Z in one big list can help but the songs are sorted without taking into account the Artist and I have to scan down the entire song list looking for them.

It would be much neater for me having the option to allow:

Song A Artist A
Song Z Artist A
Song A Artist B
Song Z Artist B
Song A Artist Z
Song Z Artist Z

If it is no trouble then I would be over the moon if you could add this sort in, if it makes one Kodi user happy then surely that is worth doing.
And it causes no harm to anyone else.

Please and a big thanks in advance.
You mean something like this?  BTW, the bit between the [] is the album the song is from.

Yes that looks right.
Can't you just go into the artist you want to see, click All Albums, then sort by title and get what you're looking for?
Yes I can, thanks.

However Kodi does not show the artist fanart when you highlight the All Album folder!
Any way of correcting this?
Also can you change the icon of the "All Album" folder?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Songs Sorting0