Abit I-N73H with Intel E8400 reports 92 degrees celcius
Anyone else where with this configuration? Is it a bug? A faulty board?

I'm sure the CPU is fitted well (I fitted it three times to be sure). The CPU works fine in another board I have. It goes to 92C instantly (according to the BIOS).

I'm afraid that it's reporting a true temperature but I just can't believe it. It's WAY beyond the operating temp of the CPU.

Any ideas? Oh, and I've updated to the latest BIOS and it didn't help.
Uhm...you have fingers, they're always a good second opinion. I'd put my money on a bios bug. There's no way it could heat up that fast AND actually work.
xbmc is reporting here a cpu temperature of 22 degrees (doesn't change), but lm-sensors is reporting +/- 50 degrees.
Where does XBMC get this temperature from?
I have this board (An I-N73HD actually) and an E8200, my tempratures are reported correctly in the bios, much lower than 92, (like 50 degrees lower, from memory)

I'll post my Bios rev. later when i get home.

Shorty
ShortySco Wrote:I have this board (An I-N73HD actually) and an E8200, my tempratures are reported correctly in the bios, much lower than 92, (like 50 degrees lower, from memory)

I'll post my Bios rev. later when i get home.

Shorty

like above check the cpu block with your finger.. see how hot it is..

check if the cooler is correctly mounted.

do a bios upgrade just incase.

if non of the above works
remove the cpu cooler
remove the artic silver, on the cpu & cooler
replace it.
place the CPU cooler back.
Be sure that its correctly mounted.. (also do diagonal.. so if these would be the pins
1---2
| |
3---4
then do 1&4 then 3&2 (or other way around).

Also check the bios for the cool and quiet feature (aka if the cpu is under X degrees rotate at x rpm etc)
We get the temps from /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/.
icekiller Wrote:like above check the cpu block with your finger.. see how hot it is..

check if the cooler is correctly mounted.

do a bios upgrade just incase.

if non of the above works
remove the cpu cooler
remove the artic silver, on the cpu & cooler
replace it.
place the CPU cooler back.
Be sure that its correctly mounted.. (also do diagonal.. so if these would be the pins
1---2
| |
3---4
then do 1&4 then 3&2 (or other way around).

Also check the bios for the cool and quiet feature (aka if the cpu is under X degrees rotate at x rpm etc)

I've actually done all the above three times with no joy.

When touching the CPU block (at the time it claims the CPU is 92C) it doesn't feel particularly hot at all. I wish there was someone here with this motherboard and that particular CPU. I may need to pull out the Q6600 from a friends PC to see if it also reports ridiculous temperatures. That may help me at least narrow down whether it's a hardware fault or a BIOS fault :/

I expect that if I had the CPU the wrong way around I wouldn't be able to boot into Linux so I don't think it's that.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Just to complicate things further maybe it's the CPU's fault and other motherboards handle the problem better?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=545708

Another Abit is as bad as mine in that thread.
i have an Abit I-N73HD thought, also running E8400.. but never saw any crazy temps. Will take a look at it when i get home tonight.

I read somewhere it often is a bios error, you are running the latest firmware?
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
Yes, I'm running the latest firmware. It's from December last year though.

I know it must be a BIOS problem but it complicates things as summer is coming soon nd the CPU will get hot but with this problem I can't really monitor it or have variable cooling.

I don't think I can have the PC shutdown if the CPU gets too hot if I disable the feature in the BIOS.
Did you ever figure out this problem because I seem to be having the exact same problem. My CPU temp is always 92 celcius no matter what I do.
No I never did. It had no problems with other CPU's so I think it's just that combination. Perhaps the very latest E8400's don't have the problem but I have one of the older ones.

I could have risked trying to exchange the board but then there would have been a risk of a hefty fee if they couldn't find fault with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Abit I-N73H with Intel E8400 reports 92 degrees celcius0