Android Kodi decides to go for MCH PCM 5.1 (for whatever reason)
the goal would be to just backup whats on the disc as-is

makemkv will do all the tags you mentioned Karellen, just skips the step of first copying the entire disc then sorting out the content, you sort it out before copy and reduce the copying time by only copying what you need/want

-----

this thread has far exceeded the scope of "general android support for kodi"
(2023-05-15, 05:14)jepsizofye Wrote: makemkv will do all the tags you mentioned
I've use makemkv for dvd's, but never for blurays. I never spent time figuring out where to find and apply the encryption keys for each disk. I've has DVDFab for many years, so never felt a need to.
So will it tag for commentary, forced, hearing impaired, original etc?

(2023-05-15, 05:14)jepsizofye Wrote: this thread has far exceeded the scope of "general android support for kodi"
Yes and no. Kodi relies on certain tags in the file and this helps explain that.
Also, using bluray folders is not a great experience with Kodi so its good to set users right by using single file before they devote too much time on the more difficult approach.
I've been through both the bluray folder and m2ts file phases.
Once you sort out advancedsettings.xml, the bluray folder works.
m2ts is annoying because Kodi invariably picks the wrong audio track, when there are more than one. Forced subtitles rarely worked, and there were no chapter markers.
I've settled on mkv as the best way to save video files for use with Kodi.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-05-15, 06:04)Karellen Wrote: I've use makemkv for dvd's, but never for blurays. I never spent time figuring out where to find and apply the encryption keys for each disk. I've has DVDFab for many years, so never felt a need to.
So will it tag for commentary, forced, hearing impaired, original etc?

not in recent versions have i had to enter any keys, it does it by itself - i have a modified LG drive which has libredrive enabled for 4k but not in several years do i recall having to load my own keys

you will have to check on hearing and other tags supported but i use default and forced all the time, when a stream is selected you change "mkv flags" from the drop down on the right where name filename is

for default i enter 'd' and for forced i enter 'f' into the field, for both i use df - there should be a tag for the rest but im not aware of them

might have to enable expert in the settings/general tab

(2023-05-15, 06:04)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-05-15, 05:14)jepsizofye Wrote: this thread has far exceeded the scope of "general android support for kodi"
Yes and no. Kodi relies on certain tags in the file and this helps explain that.
Also, using bluray folders is not a great experience with Kodi so its good to set users right by using single file before they devote too much time on the more difficult approach.

sure point taken, my point was all the general questions about bitrate/framerate/how to copy/etc - didnt see how it was relevant, my mistake

(2023-05-15, 06:04)Karellen Wrote: I've been through both the bluray folder and m2ts file phases.
Once you sort out advancedsettings.xml, the bluray folder works.
m2ts is annoying because Kodi invariably picks the wrong audio track, when there are more than one. Forced subtitles rarely worked, and there were no chapter markers.
I've settled on mkv as the best way to save video files for use with Kodi.

agreed wholly, kodi is "not ready yet" to replace a full bluray experience with menus and proper tags - hopefully in the future but mkv is the way to go for the present

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi decides to go for MCH PCM 5.1 (for whatever reason)0