v22 Add support for identifying Atmos and DTS:X now that ffmpeg supports that.
Indeed, I do. Some of the Fast and the Furios movies' German tracks have been mastered as HRA based DTS:X. So, it's not just a theoretical format.
OSMC Skinner      |    The OSMC Skin for Kodi v20 Nexus (native 16:9, 21:9 and 4:3 skin, special cinemascope/CIH version available)      |     GitHub: https://github.com/Ch1llb0/skin.osmc
(2023-11-30, 14:56)jjd-uk Wrote: Quick update, ffmpeg recently released 2 new versions. a 6.0.1 which is a maintenance release (bug fixes only) and a 6.1 feature release (both feature updates and bug fixes), and the neccessary code in ffmpeg is only in the 6.1 feature release. However as we are so close to getting v21 Omega released, the decision was taken to only take the 6.0.1 maintenance release which means this can't be done for for v21 Omega.

If anyone can build ffmpeg for themselves then I have the Kodi code partly done, it may or may not work as it's been coded blind as I'm not able to test, see https://github.com/jjd-uk/xbmc/commit/b2...ffa3448f9b Note the flags in Estuary have not been added yet, so on it's own it will only mean you may get the correct audio type reported in the log and maybe in player process.
What a let down... months of waiting... :-(

I understand it's not your fault but I came here after checking ffmpeg.org, to check whether what you stated about a good chance of implementing a new release if it came before RC would turn true and then I read your message. :-(

How long before nightlies might implement 6.1?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
What skin do you use? If you're ok with modifying skin xml files then it maybe possible to set a flag based on Atmos being contained in the filename. I had considered doing something like this for Estuary but dismissed it as too much risk of misidentificaion, for example anything with atmosphere in filename would trigger it.
(2023-12-03, 19:32)jjd-uk Wrote: What skin do you use? If you're ok with modifying skin xml files then it maybe possible to set a flag based on Atmos being contained in the filename. I had considered doing something like this for Estuary but dismissed it as too much risk of misidentificaion, for example anything with atmosphere in filename would trigger it.

At a personal level I wasn't that interested in flags. I mean, they'll be nice when they come, but I needed the code to change because of this: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3155572 see my post and the following small discussion, that led me to write here.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
In any case, I've been thinking about this. And I am no coder, I can't object to the usual "commits are always accepted" but... Kodi lagging behind FFMPEG has often been a problem in the past. Somebody did the awesome work enabling use of upstream FFMPEG, stressing how that would allow easier upgrades. I have been waiting months for FFMPEG to update, for a feature that was committed literally days after they published 6.0. Omega is still in Alpha stage and yet you choose to go for a maintenance release instead of the proper, full new release that's available. And that most likely will have been available for months once Omega gets released.
It's a bit of a let down, so I ask: has FFMPEG 6.1 been tried with the current codebase and did it lead to problems? FFMPEG team states that 7.0 will come in February, they specifically say that they will try to be more prompt with this release. Chances are high Kodi Omega will end up two full main releases behind, compared to FFMPEG. Thinking about the work to "allow easier FFMPEG updates in the future" it is kind of ironic.

Unfortunately, I repeat, I cannot code, so I don't know the effort involved in picking 6.1 over 6.0.1. The only thing I can do is donate money and I have done that more than once in the past. Which doesn't make me entitled to anything. It's just that I don't wanna pass for a complete freeloader, that's all.
The problem seems to be bad timing, as we are far to close to release to be bumping ffmpeg and risking something breaking. The ffmpeg developers have been removing a lot of legacy interfaces and no one is 100% to what extent we might be still using some of those, the last 2 ffmpeg bumps to new feature releases have both caused breakages that needed fixing.
(2023-12-07, 18:12)jjd-uk Wrote: The problem seems to be bad timing, as we are far to close to release to be bumping ffmpeg and risking something breaking. The ffmpeg developers have been removing a lot of legacy interfaces and no one is 100% to what extent we might be still using some of those, the last 2 ffmpeg bumps to new feature releases have both caused breakages that needed fixing.
Thanks for letting me know. Am I wrong in thinking that, given the current Alpha status, it's quite likely that FFMPEG 7.0 will come (if it comes in February) together with Kodi still using 6 (and so two major releases behind)? Maybe I am pessimistic about Omega release, but I seem to remember months passing between Beta and final release. And it's already December...

EDIT: Omega is currently in beta, not alpha. My bad.
If all goes to plan then final Beta 2 will release very soon then we'll be onto RC, so there's a chance Omega should be out before ffmpeg 7 Wink
I found out FFmpeg has implemented Object-Based Audio after reading this post. Thank you.
I built FFmpeg 6.1 for Kodi and added the Object-Based Audio flags with some code modifications.
I also made it work when using inputstream adaptive so I can see the ATMOS flag with Netflix addon.
I've attached the link of the Object-Based Audio flags for Estuary skin for those interested in building Kodi.

<screenshot>
https://imgur.com/a/AsJ6KA2
<flags link>
https://mega.nz/file/KtZ3FSoD#CYJB9b6nOh...OwG8_oNDug
@masonlee Can I ask what code modifications you did? I shared some partially done code earlier in thread but it was untested, did you use that? or did you do your own changes? if your own changes then I'd be interested to see what you did.
(2023-12-07, 19:38)jjd-uk Wrote: If all goes to plan then final Beta 2 will release very soon then we'll be onto RC, so there's a chance Omega should be out before ffmpeg 7 Wink
Ok, I wish a speedy path to final release, obviously. Still... it then will be months and months before getting this feature. But, at this point, I probably sound whiny and I don't want to do that. Thanks for all the answers and your time and dedication to the project.
Adding a new streamdetails param is somewhat cumbersome and unnecessary, so I assigned a new object-based audio profile to a new strName so that a skin can recognize it.
Actually a similar method was done in the Kodi code before.
Check out xbmc/cores/VideoPlayer/DVDDemuxers/DVDDemuxFFmpeg.cpp line 2102.
For example, "DD+ ATMOS" profile to "eac3_atmos" and in the skin xmls added ATMOS mediaflag using "String.Contains(XXXXXXX.AudioCodec,atmos)".

I think the current estuary media flag for "turehd" is weird 'cause nobody call it "dolby hd" omitting "true".
The "eac3" flag is also inappropriate 'cause just "dolby" is inadequate to express "dolby digital plus".
So I changed the flag terms to "TRUE-HD" / "DD+" which are actually more commonly used terms.
(2023-12-07, 19:38)jjd-uk Wrote: If all goes to plan then final Beta 2 will release very soon then we'll be onto RC, so there's a chance Omega should be out before ffmpeg 7 Wink
Just read that there's going to be a beta 3. Does that change anything with regard to the subject of this discussion? One can always hope, I suppose. :-)
The only hope is no hope Laugh
(2023-12-22, 18:46)jjd-uk Wrote: The only hope is no hope Laugh

Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add support for identifying Atmos and DTS:X now that ffmpeg supports that.0