NextPVR client over the internet
I'm using the NextPVR client in LibreElec successfully with the NextPVR service running on a Windows host. The client simply finds the server automagically, and populates its IP address and port in the client add-on.

I'd like to be able to use Kodi Clients to access the server over the internet (with appropriate IP restrictions, PIN #'s etc... tp prevent unauthorized access). I've forwarded UDP/IP port 8866 through my FW to the NextPVR server.

I've tried specifying the NextPVR server by both hostname and IP address of my FW when the client is on the internet. The client complains it can't find the server. 

Any ideas? I suspect the client is doing a broadcast to locate the server when on the local LAN (hence the auto-population of the IP address). But it seems odd to have that configuration option if it uses broadcast to locate the server and won't let you specify it. It's also odd that field is "hostname", yet it continues to override whatever I type there with an IP when on the local LAN.

Any tricks for allowing the NextPVR client to talk over the internet to a static host?

Thanks.
you are asking about server configuration, this is for client configuration for the kodi addon, you will do better asking on the nextpvr forum

https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=57581
Importantly NextPVR works over TCP not UDP, UDP is only for discover (not on port 8866)  There shouldn't be any problems, once you enter the server IP, TCP port and PIN . The only "trick" is that  PIN 0000 is not allowed over the Internet.  Make it larger than 4 characters to prevent brute force attacks and although it says PIN, characters are also allowed.

Martin
(2023-07-13, 18:38)jepsizofye Wrote: you are asking about server configuration, this is for client configuration for the kodi addon, you will do better asking on the nextpvr forum

Well it would seem this is the client not making a connection despite the server/ports being reachable. The server happily services clients on the local LAN. It's the client moving outside the FW that is the change.

Nonetheless, I'll ask there as well. Thanks.
(2023-07-13, 18:47)emveepee Wrote: Importantly NextPVR works over TCP not UDP, UDP is only for discover (not on port 8866)  There shouldn't be any problems, once you enter the server IP, TCP port and PIN . The only "trick" is that  PIN 0000 is not allowed over the Internet.  Make it larger than 4 characters to prevent brute force attacks and although it says PIN, characters are also allowed.

Martin

OK, well both protos are open. I've properly entered the IP/Port/PIN, but no go. 

Is the PIN needed for the Kodi client add-on to access, or is that just for accessing the server via HTTP? (I assume the latter, as if the Kodi client can see the server via IP address/port, then it shouldn't really be any different than LAN access...)

Thanks.
The PIN is the security but as I posted the default 0000 is not going to work.

Martin
(2023-07-13, 19:04)emveepee Wrote: The PIN is the security but as I posted the default 0000 is not going to work.

Martin

I should have been clearer when I mentioned entering the parameters.. I've changed it from default, and still no-go.

(I still am unsure how the server would distinguish an app connection NAT'ed to it's IP on 8866 in order to refuse it, whereas it's clearly able to distinguish an HTTP request not on it's local LAN, but that is neither here nor there)
Follow up: 

I've verified the server is reachable from the internet through my FW by telet'ing to it on port 8866... it answers with "Kestrel", same as on my LAN... it's internal name for itself?

So the system is reachable. The Kodi add-on just doesn't seem happy. It feels like it's trying to do UDP/broadcast discovery and unable...
No the UDP discovery is only on the first time setup.  Once it is saved or fails, everything is manual.  Kestrel is the server for netcore.

I guess there is another not so hidden trick. Did you log onto the server and click allow remote access on Settings->Access

Martin
(2023-07-13, 18:55)scaesare Wrote:
(2023-07-13, 18:38)jepsizofye Wrote: you are asking about server configuration, this is for client configuration for the kodi addon, you will do better asking on the nextpvr forum

Well it would seem this is the client not making a connection despite the server/ports being reachable. The server happily services clients on the local LAN. It's the client moving outside the FW that is the change.

Nonetheless, I'll ask there as well. Thanks.

sure looks like youre having to configure the server to allow the connection
(2023-07-13, 19:28)emveepee Wrote: No the UDP discovery is only on the first time setup.  Once it is saved or fails, everything is manual.  Kestrel is the server for netcore.

I guess there is another not so hidden trick. Did you log onto the server and click allow remote access on Settings->Access

Martin

I had, but on a whim I changed copied the config-dont-edit.xml to config.xml and changed the AllowRemote* flags to "true" and restarted the service.

Bingo!

Thanks for the help all...
What you did doesn't make sense because copying the default what also copy the 0000 PIN.   Going to Settings->Access to allow remote access would do the same thing for access control.

If you must manually edit config.xml in LE/CE it is in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.nextpvr/config/config.xml

Martin
(2023-07-13, 19:49)emveepee Wrote: What you did doesn't make sense because copying the default what also copy the 0000 PIN.   Going to Settings->Access to allow remote access would do the same thing for access control.

If you must manually edit config.xml in LE/CE it is in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.nextpvr/config/config.xml

Martin
Hmm... well after reading that, I just renamed the config.xml and restarted the service again, and it still works. So now it appears that perhaps the service restart after the changes (including checking the "remote access" box on the server) is what did it.
I tried a remote connection and the server didn't have to be restarted for this setting to work.  However when it fails the addon did get disabled, re-enabling it was alll that was necessary.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NextPVR client over the internet0