Playback on some videos makes entire system sluggish
Hi, I have a fedora38 desktop with kodi-20.2 installed. When playing some videos, my entire system becomes sluggish and slow to respond, like the system is under extreme load or all resources are being consumed by graphics rendering.

This appears to only occur with 4k videos, although I don't think all 4k videos have this problem. This problem also only just started, despite having this kodi system for quite some time.

One video that exhibits this problem says it's using the HVEC codec. I believe this also may be common across all videos that have a problem.

I've also tried enabling and disabling all the different hardware rendering options in "Player", but it doesn't make a difference.

This is the lspci info for my video card:
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev ef)

What other information can I provide to help troubleshoot this?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Okay, thank you for your help. Here's my kodi log for playing a local version of The Equalizer in 2160.

The system is otherwise idle. I also exited most applications, including Chrome, so nothing else was playing.

I'm also not convinced this is only a Kodi problem, but may be a fedora problem. Hmm... actually, it also happens when playing this same video using vlc.

Given it doesn't appear to be a kodi problem, I suppose you could send me off to fedora somewhere, but I'd still really appreciate your help, because I have no idea what questions to ask or how to troubleshoot this.

https://paste.kodi.tv/hagatawaqi.kodi
... /home/dave/Torrents/Peter.Pan.and.Wendy.2023.1080p.DSNP ...

you could have at least pretended you were not pirating so people like me who pay for these services dont feel slighted
I also do pay for these services :-(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback on some videos makes entire system sluggish0