The Vero 'V'
(2023-12-15, 00:21)hdmkv Wrote: Remux solving the macroblocking issue is new to me. Can you confirm Sam? I assume this would work for all affected titles like 'Avatar', 'A Christmas Carol', etc.? Thanks.

It's always been the case that a remux solves the issue for some times and transcoding fixes it for all affected titles.
Nothing new here.
Transcoding is out of the question for me, but I’ll try remuxes for all known affected titles.
I have read about, possibly in this very thread, that some use coreelec on the vero V.

What are the pros and cons, coreelec VS the included OS on the vero V?

And is it possible to cast youtube from androidphone to the vero V?

Thanks
(2023-12-25, 21:04)Hometv07 Wrote: I have read about, possibly in this very thread, that some use coreelec on the vero V.

What are the pros and cons, coreelec VS the included OS on the vero V?

And is it possible to cast youtube from androidphone to the vero V?

Thanks

You cannot run CoreELEC on Vero V unfortunately. 
You can run other operating systems that are open source. 

However CoreELEC despite claiming to be an open source GPLv2 project is a GPL violator and doesn't release public sources anymore, so we don't know how we would even begin to get our device supported with their platform. 

Quote:There are currently no sources public available. Amlogic-no is based on Amlogic Vendor Kernel 5.15.78.

Quote:If you do not agree with this fact please do not install Amlogic-no!
Any requests or discuss about “where is the source” will just be deleted without comment.

Illegal, but hard to enforce. OSMC has contributed huge amounts of code to CoreELEC particularly in the kernel (HDMI, HDR, multi channel audio). We are happy to do this and that's the nature of open source. But CoreELEC doesn't play fair and doesn't release any source code at all.

The result is that only the end user loses out. There's now less choice for users. Sadly, CoreELEC users will suffer as it is impossible for them to acquire new developers if there's no source code to pick apart and work on. They are now reliant entirely on the few developers they have and the knowledgeable OSMC engineering team that make improvements available publicly in terms with the appropriate open source licenses. Vero customers will be just fine -- but they won't be able to run CoreELEC. As harsh as it sounds, I think if they tried CoreELEC, they wouldn't care..
I think I would rather have librelec on the vero v and vero's os on corelec compatible devices myself.
(2023-12-29, 03:51)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: You cannot run CoreELEC on Vero V ..

Thank you for the detailed answer.
Thats a good thing then, then i wouldnt need to decide. :-) Omsc seems very light as it is!

And i guess its not possible to cast youtube as theres no chromecast right?
(2023-12-29, 09:57)Hometv07 Wrote:
(2023-12-29, 03:51)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: You cannot run CoreELEC on Vero V ..

Thank you for the detailed answer.
Thats a good thing then, then i wouldnt need to decide. :-) Omsc seems very light as it is!

And i guess its not possible to cast youtube as theres no chromecast right?

Unfortunately it’s not possible at this time.

OSMC should be light for your needs but also expansible via Debian.
Well Sam, I know you have a commercial problem launching a device that doesn't answer to the current expectations of the media center market. The only thing that OSMC has to offer is 3d, whose sources, by the way, you keep well hidden under a pile of tar balls.
CoreELEC is the best way to use Kodi in an amlogic device and that fact is well known. It's a shame that this comes from a Team Kodi member but I guess that this comes from the fact that you have a dual role as a Kodi box seller also.
CoreELEC has been experimenting a new kernel, yes. There's nothing on past kernels that CE hasn't publicly released, history confirms it.
For the record, you also benefited from work of team CE members so don't act like a Saint Sam. I just wished that another war between the sons of Xbox Media Center wouldn't start but when some are here for the community and others for the money that's inevitable, I guess.
Stay safe and happy new year.
Sam, you could just tell the user that CoreELEC is not compatible with the Vero-V without bringing up "GPL violations".
Amlogic-no is still in early stages and is not yet fit for public release as it is going through constant and breaking changes.
If you actually wanted/needed to look at the sources, you could have contacted us first and asked for them, without throwing out accusations into the public domain, when we could say the same thing about you and your practices.
I would like to ask you where are your sources for the linux kernel you use for the Vero V? In your public GitHub, I can only see vero2-linux and vero3-linux, which have not seen new commits in years.
I'm not even going to mention that time when we asked for your non-existing sources and and you provided us with a tar without git history and a bandwidth limit of 100KB/s... Oh oops...
All of our other kernels are publicly available, including 5.4.
You can be sure that 5.15 sources will be released when it's mature enough.
Sam appears to be right that corelec is violating gpl. https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/amlogic...rder/44728

I believe if you distribute a linux kernel you must provide sources if asked. And list any significant changes you made.  You can't just tell people not to ask for it if they want to use it. Thats not how the gpl works.

Corelec too could also just include a tar ball with no compilation instructions and no git history to insure you aren't breaking gpl.
You missed this part
Quote:There are currently no sources public available.
with emphasis CURRENTLY which means there will be sources when project will be mature enough.

And as written in post above there are also Vero sources in question.
@calev, nobody asked. Accusations were made solely based on the announcement post.
All the post said is that not all sources are currently publicly available.
We will provide sources if asked, but I hope that common sense prevails and people understand that posting sources that do not yet work correctly publicly does not make sense.
(2023-12-29, 16:21)The Coolest Wrote: @calev, nobody asked. Accusations were made solely based on the announcement post.
All the post said is that not all sources are currently publicly available.
We will provide sources if asked, but I hope that common sense prevails and people understand that posting sources that do not yet work correctly publicly does not make sense.
Quote:Where are the sources of Amlogic-no?
There are currently no sources public available. Amlogic-no is based on Amlogic Vendor Kernel 5.15.78.
We just received new sources with Amlogic Vendor Kernel 5.15.119. So it is quite useless to publish all the sources as they will be replaced shortly anyway. Some parts (drivers) are already online at CoreELEC Github 35.
If you do not agree with this fact please do not install Amlogic-no!
Any requests or discuss about “where is the source” will just be deleted without comment.

This is fine but imo I think it would sound better if you reworded it. As it stands it looks like you are breaking gpl. You are in fact stating you are breaking gpl.

You could change it to something like this,

"Sources will be offered to those who request as required by gpl but we suggest waiting until they are more stable and organized as it is currently under heavy development with daily breaking changes. "
The question to be posed is why here? Why using this flaming language here, in a Vero V thread. It's obvious why and I repeat that this is below Kodi's standards and a shame for a Team Kodi member.
Quote:The question to be posed is why here?
Normally I could understand this but then over on the corelec forum
Quote:Any requests or discuss about “where is the source” will just be deleted without comment.
So that kinda answers the why here and not there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Vero 'V'0