Kodi project
Not sure where to post this.(hardware or general discussion)

I have been using Kodi on a Linux PC, Shield TV and a Firestick for streaming video/live video and music.

I would like to build out a mini PC but I had a few questions.

First since Kodi runs on a variety of OSes which is the most supported?  Android, Linux, Windows

What hardware requirements are needed to give an equivalent or better experience than a Shield TV box?

I am a software and electrical engineer so a Rasperry Pi is also an option.

Not worried about cost either.

Is it worth the effort to build something or just stick with a Shield TV?

Thanks for any input.
depends on what you want to use it for

No Dolby Vision outside of Android
Limited HDR on Windows
No HDR on Linux (to the best of my knowledge)

No 4K streaming content outside of Android, other platforms are limited to ~720p due to widevine limitations so if you want to use netflix, prime, hulu, disney+ it will be very limited.

for the features and footprint i choose android personally but it's backed with a jellyfin media server so really limits how much Kodi actually has to do outside of display the library and play it back

if you only play SDR BluRay h264, SDR 4K BluRay HEVC from local sources then you should be fine with an HTPC

but still an HTPC is going to cost a lot more for less features even though the cost itself is not an issue for you the loss while paying more should be

highly agree with eliminating a Pi from the options, it's more gimmicky than it is feature packed and does less than an HTPC
Thanks for the reply.

So it sounds like just a purchase of another ShieldTV would be the best option.
What @izprtxqkft said with one clarifiying point. There are a few devices that can playback Dolby Vision HDR profiles 8.1 & 5 as long as the AMLogic SoC is the "-J" or "-K" designation and has Android installed with Dolby-licensed binaries allowing DV HDR playback. These can use the native Android with Kodi or NOVA player or, with the Homatics Box R 4K Plus, with CorELEC https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/coreele...sion/20982 - it is linux but makes use of the installed Android's binaries (although you never need to use Android or authenticate with a Google account.)
(2023-11-22, 21:44)selfcontained Wrote: with one clarifiying point

ah yes, i should have done that, thanks

*correction - an Android device for Dolby Vision but that device does not necessarily need to run Android - some will work under CoreELEC and have DolbyVision there
@selfcontained and @izprtxqkft

Thanks for the info guys.
youre welcome

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi project0