Headless use on Shield TV Pro
Hi,

My Shield is currently connected to a TEAC amplifier using USB connectivity, or to a BT JBL speaker depending on my needs.

HDMI audio output is not used, the TV is just used as a big monitor.

Everything is working pretty good except one thing.

As I don't need my big TV to be switched on and consuming power just for a nice screen saver while I am listening to some music, I was planning to switch it off and control the Shield with Kore.

It's working pretty good too, until I ... switch the TV off !

All of a sudden the playback is stopped and there is no way to have it play again, even Kore seems to "loose it" after a couple of seconds.

But if I switch the TV on again, everything resumes as soon as the device is ready.

I just made a more silly test by violently unplug the HDMI cable : the playback stops and starts over as soon as I replug it !

Of course, I have disabled any CEC operation related to pause or shutdown of the Shield.

But if I perform the same tests with the YouTube app, it's still working flawlessly in both cases, with no interruption.

Is there some hidden settings I forgot to tweak ?

Regards
I can only think of 2 things:

1) On the Shield, Device Preferences -> Screen saver -> Stay awake on music.

I too have CEC disabled and Spotify on Shield keeps playing to my wireless headphones even if I turn the TV off. (but our setups may not be the same, and there may be more variables; I run it Shield -> AVR (with passthrough, but off at all times through this exercise) -> TV)

2) If all things fail, buy an HDMI dummy plug. One that does HDCP handshake, to have that covered. I didn't test this, so it may help or not.
Thanks for your reply.

I have now checked with another random radio app I have found on Google Play : there is no problem, neither there is with YouTube app.

So this problem is Kodi related but I have not found anything I could tweak in the settings.

Regards
How is the Shield connected to the TV? With my setup I can play music and turn off the TV just fine - Shield > Denon AVR > TV all via HDMI.
The Shield is connected to the TV using a simple HDMI port, and for the audio the Shield is connected to my TEAC NP-H750 using USB, which can act as a class compliant audio interface.
Definitely sounds like something HDMI related. Maybe a debug log will help.
I was hoping to find clues without doing it, but here we go : hastebin - vuvijigifa (kodi.tv)

I see events related to HDMI connection status next to stuff related to audio, but nothing obvious enough for me !
After many researches on several forums, it seems this problem could be solved by changing CEC settings in "settings/system/input/peripherals". But on the Shield, there is no device listed as generic Android implementation is used, if I understand good.
Do someone know if there is a chance I can get some results by tweaking "peripherals.xml", by altering some values I can not reach using the GUI ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Headless use on Shield TV Pro0