Context Menu entry for Tagging
I created a tag for TV Shows called "ToWatch"...  

And I want to tag some shows that are in my library that I've fogotten about over time as I browse the cover art.  But there's no context menu item to do that.

Is there a way to edit the context menu to include an option "Tag As..." and have a list of my tags show to accomplish this (or alternatively a plugin that would add the menu entry)?

I know that I can go into the tag editor itself and add items to the tag, but then it's just from the text list of TV shows and it's not as useful or intuitive to me as browsing the cover art and saying to myself "ah yes, that one looks good, I should watch it".

Many thanks for any help
TRJB
Try this... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=353783

Remember to restart Kodi after you install.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
==deleted==
(2023-11-26, 20:50)therealjoeblow Wrote: ...but it just points back to the same thread.  I don't see any download link for the updadated v19+ version.
Ah, sorry. My blooper. I pasted the wrong link yesterday when I added the mod edit.
Try now. It should lead to ... https://github.com/bacon-cheeseburger/sc...agoverview
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-11-26, 21:02)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-11-26, 20:50)therealjoeblow Wrote: ...but it just points back to the same thread.  I don't see any download link for the updadated v19+ version.
Ah, sorry. My blooper. I pasted the wrong link yesterday when I added the mod edit.
Try now. It should lead to ... https://github.com/bacon-cheeseburger/sc...agoverview
Thanks @Karellen, I did manage to find it after scouring through the whole thread (that's why I deleted my post text above, my bad).

After getting it installed, the "Tags" entry does show up in my context menu now, but it doesn't do anything when I click it, the menu just disappears and back to the main UI.  Not sure why.  I guess I'll have to followup on the addon thread unless you have a quick idea.

Cheers and thanks again
TRJB
(2023-11-28, 23:25)therealjoeblow Wrote: After getting it installed, the "Tags" entry does show up in my context menu now, but it doesn't do anything when I click it, the menu just disappears and back to the main UI
It's working on my v21 install.
What version of Kodi are you using? Provide a Debug Log that captures you trying to use the tag option.

(2023-11-28, 23:25)therealjoeblow Wrote: I guess I'll have to followup on the addon thread unless you have a quick idea.
That would be best as I am not a developer so won't be able to poke around the code.
My Signature
Yeah, my bad again, was too busy last night to get a log file.

It's here:

https://paste.kodi.tv/vasatotera.kodi

I just loaded Kodi and then went to one of my TV show entries and invoked the Tags script from the context menu.

The script invoke starts at line 1148 in the log. It shows "error: exception in thread" and then just a bunch or additional errors.  Let me know if you see anything obvious that makes sense to you.  Otherwise I'll post the log and my question on the addon thread.

Cheers and thanks again!
TRJB
(2023-11-29, 17:15)therealjoeblow Wrote: Otherwise I'll post the log and my question on the addon thread.
Yep, best to post there as I don't undersand the error.
My Signature
(2023-11-29, 17:15)therealjoeblow Wrote: The script invoke starts at line 1148 in the log. It shows "error: exception in thread" and then just a bunch or additional errors.  Let me know if you see anything obvious that makes sense to you. 

line 1242 shows the error originated in the xml parser
line 1246 shows that error as invalid token at line 3, column 8
line 1175 shows the file it was trying to parse was advancedsettings.xml
line 29-62 shows the contents of advancedsettings.xml
line 32 would equate to line 3 of the advancedsettings.xml
that line shows a weird indent compared to the lines around it

edit

i just noticed the problem, line 2 of advancedsettings.xml has an unclosed comment line, starts with <!-- but there is no -->
(2023-11-29, 19:56)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2023-11-29, 17:15)therealjoeblow Wrote: The script invoke starts at line 1148 in the log. It shows "error: exception in thread" and then just a bunch or additional errors.  Let me know if you see anything obvious that makes sense to you. 

line 1242 shows the error originated in the xml parser
line 1246 shows that error as invalid token at line 3, column 8
line 1175 shows the file it was trying to parse was advancedsettings.xml
line 29-62 shows the contents of advancedsettings.xml
line 32 would equate to line 3 of the advancedsettings.xml
that line shows a weird indent compared to the lines around it

edit

i just noticed the problem, line 2 of advancedsettings.xml has an unclosed comment line, starts with <!-- but there is no -->
Thanks for pointing that out.

My advancedsettings.xml had some commented lines in it, they've been there forever and I *thought* they were properly formatted as far as I knew, as they never caused any problem before with anything else.

I do see the commented line that you pointed out without being closed, yes, apparently the culprit. Dopey me.

I fixed it, and now the Tags addon works as expected.

Thanks all for the help, very much appreciated!

Cheers
TRJB
It seems like that addon directly accesses Kodi's databases.  Normally we prefer addons use the json-rpc api to do that.  As it's "unofficial" of course it's up to you to trust it (more from a breaking things rather than any security).

scott s.
(2023-11-30, 22:42)scott967 Wrote: As it's "unofficial" of course it's up to you to trust it

this can be assumed on any addon installed that does not come from the kodi repo, only the addons in the kodi repo are fully checked and verified "reasonably" secure (to the best effort of team-kodi)
(2023-11-30, 22:42)scott967 Wrote: It seems like that addon directly accesses Kodi's databases.  Normally we prefer addons use the json-rpc api to do that.  As it's "unofficial" of course it's up to you to trust it (more from a breaking things rather than any security).

scott s.

I sometimes use the official web interface (Chorus2) to search my library when I'm at my computer, and I just noticed that the info dialog for a movie has an editable Tags field. I was able to enter multiple tags separated by semicolons and also delete tags. While not as convenient as the addon, this might be good enough for some, and presumably it uses JSON and will remain supported.

I'd been missing tag management and wanted to resume making watchlists and "multisets" so recently got the tags addon working again, but sadly not before doing it with NFO files for 10-20 movies. It was that drudgery that motivated me to look into this again, but not before looking at Trakt. AFAICT, there's no way to view Trakt stuff inside Kodi, so it seems tags continue to be my best bet. Of course, to make use of tags, you need to disable the default to add the hundreds of useless ones when scraping a new source or somehow mass delete them all after the fact.
(2023-12-01, 19:12)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2023-11-30, 22:42)scott967 Wrote: As it's "unofficial" of course it's up to you to trust it

this can be assumed on any addon installed that does not come from the kodi repo, only the addons in the kodi repo are fully checked and verified "reasonably" secure (to the best effort of team-kodi)
True of course.  My only point is that in this specific case, if the addon has a bug you might need to do a full rescan of your library so backup is recommended (though a good idea in any case).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Context Menu entry for Tagging0