[VideoVersion] Video version auto detection discussion
As the VideoVersion feature has been merged now, the next problem is the how to detect video version automatically.

A common practice is using special format for the file name, like what @da-anda suggested in the PR to use "movie name (year) - version.ext" or "movie name (year) [version].ext". The issue for this is the special characters used ("-" or "[]") may be already used in the file name, which will trigger false positive.

The auto detection for video extras type (deleted/behind the scenes, etc.) is also a problem.

How to solve the conflict if multiple videos have the same detected type also needs be discussed. I want to get more inputs for these problems and decide what's the best way to do.
The method Plex and Radarr use was mentioned in a team chat about this.

{edition-{Edition Tags}}

Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Directors Cut}.mkv

Plex Multi-Version Movies

Radarr Edition Tags
Emby has a similar approach.

https://emby.media/support/articles/Movi...ion-movies

https://emby.media/support/articles/Movi...vie-extras
With Mezzmo I have avoided the automatic discovery collection / version approach for now and tried not to constraint to file naming standards.  Instead I leverage a manual tagging approach which is easy do do via the Mezzmo GUI.  There's pros and cons of this manual editing approach.  My reasoning so far has been that folks aren't going to have a large number of movie versions / collections, unlike movie sets, which folks tend to have a large number.  Up to this point this has proven to be true. 

Mezzmo Movie Collections

I am interested to see where this discussion ends up and may adopt the consensus view for consistency purposes.. I've also downloaded the latest nightly and see the two new version tables.  I'll be looking at whether syncing from Mezzmo versions to Kodi versions via the Mezzmo Kodi addon makes sense.    The other sharing solutions already mentioned and the Kodi Media Importer solution will have to make the same determination or keep them totally separate.  Again there are pros and cons to either direction.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[VideoVersion] Video version auto detection discussion0