Video Overlays and/or post processing overlays -- possible?
I've looked around for a while for an answer to this but I can't seem to find an up to date answer or much details at all really.  I was just wondering if it's possible to add an overlay, for instance a scanline overlay, over a video within Kodi.  I've done this with Retroarch, and you can use a multitude of shaders and cool overlays and stuff.  However, it doesn't have the functionality I want that you can get in kodi, playlists and other stuff.  Also I have a wife and children to consider for ease of use.

Ideally I'd like to be able to at least just slap a scanline .png over video files (it would be nice if it could detect 480p video sources or 4:3 aspect ratios or something as well).  I can achieve this effect relatively easily within VLC media player -- as it offers quite a few post processing adjustments but again, the functionality just isn't great otherwise.

If someone's able to point me to an add-on or even if it's just something I'm missing in the default Kodi setup, I would be extremely grateful.  Old 4:3/480p content that looks absolutely atrocious looks waaayyyyyy better with an overlay and a bit of noise/film grain added.  It eliminates a lot (maybe all) of the chunky pixel artifacting and aliasing issues normally present.  This is extremely nice for old t.v. shows and old cartoon shows that don't have widescreen or higher resolution releases.
Maybe something here can help... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=316537
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-06-15, 11:40)Hitcher Wrote: As I was curious as to how it would look I did one better and coded it all for you to try out!

Download these files; drop the scanlines.png in the media folder of the skin you want to use; and drop the Custom_1199_Scanlines.xml in the folder containing the XML files (xml in Estuary or 720p in Confluence) in the same skin.

This is what it looks like in action -

[url=javascript:void(0)]Image[/url]
Maybe Hitcher still has the files lying around somewhere.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-12-04, 08:10)Karellen Wrote: Maybe something here can help... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=316537

Thanks! I found that thread earlier this evening, but unfortunately none of the files are linked anymore and there's no instructions at all as to what to do to accomplish anything.  I can edit .xml files, but I would need to know some more details about how the file is setup, what the flags are within it, etc.  I found some of that on the kodi wiki I think?  It's a bit out of my grasp to code that. 

Looking at the code here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...Screen.xml  .  I'm not really able to see where I would insert another image layer or the parameters to make it only apply to 4:3 content, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Overlays and/or post processing overlays -- possible?0