Testing out Intel N100 MiniPCs for 2024, are they any good?
(2024-02-06, 18:53)clarkss12 Wrote: Those low powered, low cost mini PCs with multiple USB 3 ports, make great servers.  I used LibreELEC because I am not great with Linux, so I could NOT get the SAMBA server to work correctly using Linux.

I have one of these powerful Beelink GTR6 mini PCs connected directly to my "entertainment" center, but only use it as an Emby and Plex server.  To me the days of having a 10 year old $10k PC connected to a big CRT TV are gone and will never resurface again for me..  *** Of course I do have a 11" CRT connected to my "entertainment" center for nostalgia effect***.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0kX4tS3...kil4AaABAg

same for me, i can spend $10k over the next 10 years buying many devices and never end up with something 10 years old instead

love the mini CRT

i did "sort of" the same thing for the aesthetic but mine is not nearly as authentic - https://www.ebay.com/itm/176181209845
(2024-02-06, 19:05)izprtxqkft Wrote: i did "sort of" the same thing for the aesthetic but mine is not nearly as authentic - https://www.ebay.com/itm/176181209845

I think Stuart Little would love that TV.  Don't think my fingers are small enough to change channels. Smile
(2024-02-06, 19:19)clarkss12 Wrote: I think Stuart Little would love that TV.  Don't think my fingers are small enough to change channels. Smile

ha

i actually have more of an affinity for vintage audio, i have this exact console https://www.flickr.com/photos/thelonerid...2199860520
and i do use it and maintain it, much better than digital imo but of course you can't put it in your car so i just stream otherwise
(2024-02-06, 19:23)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 19:19)clarkss12 Wrote: I think Stuart Little would love that TV.  Don't think my fingers are small enough to change channels. Smile

ha

i actually have more of an affinity for vintage audio, i have this exact console https://www.flickr.com/photos/thelonerid...2199860520
and i do use it and maintain it, much better than digital imo but of course you can't put it in your car so i just stream otherwise

I would kill for that console.........
(2024-02-06, 18:53)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 17:12)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-01-09, 22:52)clarkss12 Wrote: The one I have in the basement that is my file server

thanks for this suggestion
after testing it out for player capabilities i went ahead and set this up as a mini file server with debian
seems to work very well for media and dual lan ports means i can bridge and connect the primary media player directly to it eliminating hops through the router

...  I used LibreELEC because I am not great with Linux, so I could NOT get the SAMBA server to work correctly using Linux...
Honestly I think setting up nfs shares are easier than samba.They are faster too. No passwords needed. No complicated config files. Not as easy as right clicking and saying "Share" but pretty close. Downside is they aren't supported on as many clients.
(2024-02-06, 21:34)calev Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 18:53)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 17:12)izprtxqkft Wrote: thanks for this suggestion
after testing it out for player capabilities i went ahead and set this up as a mini file server with debian
seems to work very well for media and dual lan ports means i can bridge and connect the primary media player directly to it eliminating hops through the router

...  I used LibreELEC because I am not great with Linux, so I could NOT get the SAMBA server to work correctly using Linux...
Honestly I think setting up nfs shares are easier than samba.They are faster too. No passwords needed. No complicated config files. Not as easy as right clicking and saying "Share" but pretty close. Downside is they aren't supported on as many clients.

Are you talking about NFS shares running under LibreELEC or Linux?
(2024-02-06, 22:15)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 21:34)calev Wrote:
(2024-02-06, 18:53)clarkss12 Wrote: ...  I used LibreELEC because I am not great with Linux, so I could NOT get the SAMBA server to work correctly using Linux...

Are you talking about NFS shares running under LibreELEC or Linux?

Just a general linux distro like Debian or fedora. I'm aware librelec has really easy already set up samba configs.
I still have the $10K server approach but mostly just due to storage, over 1PB.  No easy way to do that with a mini-PC.  I did pickup a Raspberry Pi 5 this week, along with my recent N100 addition, and will add the results to my endpoint performance Wiki page.  Should be tomorrow or over  the weekend.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-17, 16:27)MoreCowbell Wrote: Any help for a power user with a huge library and tens of thousands of pictures that get accessed often?

An Intel NUC12 Pro with NVME Gen4 SSD (Samsung 980) with 2.5GBE Ethernet (WiFi 6). The Kodi (LibreElec) UI is blazing fast. I have a i3 and very happpy. If you have the budget i5 maybe.
Assume you're using your wired 2.5GbE vs wi-fi 6? My only (big) pause with going HTPC is losing Dolby Vision. Wish there was a tonemapping solution with Kodi/LibreELEC for DV & HDR10+ that didn't involve madVR. Looks like Sam@OSMC has a solution for this for Vero V.
Yes. 2.5GBE.

I tried Firestick 4K Max for DV but I hate the UI. I’m undecided whether I’ll use the FTV just for 4K DV.

I’m pretty happy with ‘just’ HDR on my NUCs though as it’s very smooth, fast and plays everything I want…

However, I’m planning to have a go at implementing DSD and MPEG-H 3D Audio pass-through on Android. If that works I may use another Android device in the future (Chromecast 4K gets Android 14), and if that works I’ll also see if I can do same with Linux (LibreElec is my preferred Kodi distro). Android 14 supports those audio formats but I’m going to try forcing pass-through of DSD and MPEG-H 3D in Linux (@fritsch ‘pack the bus’ theory. Smile)

(I bought a new AVR that supports those two pass-through formats)
Thanks... ordered a cheap N100 to try out.
Don't buy this one. Impossible to get into boot menu. And couldn't find any way to open it up even after removing the screws in the back.
(2024-02-08, 21:21)hdmkv Wrote: Assume you're using your wired 2.5GbE vs wi-fi 6? My only (big) pause with going HTPC is losing Dolby Vision. Wish there was a tonemapping solution with Kodi/LibreELEC for DV & HDR10+ that didn't involve madVR. Looks like Sam@OSMC has a solution for this for Vero V.

It's done.

Widevine L1 next.
I did find a few minutes to get my Raspberry Pi 5 built and have posted my observations in the media player thread.  I was surprised how well it did against the N100 I just built.  

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
I've settled on an N100 box for the following reasons after evaluating Intel/Nvidia/AMD in Windows 11 Pro and also several Android players. I used my Sony A80J OLED TV for my testing and Kodi 21 (Omega) Betas 2 and 3, but my observations also applied to Nexus for Android and even earlier versions WRT Nvidia motion.

Intel, as represented by Beelink N100 mini PC (Intel UHD graphics) running Windows 11 Pro

No anomalies observed so far. In particular, I've yet to see any of the issues I talk about below for Nvidia, AMD, and Android. It's the best Kodi platform I've ever used. In addition, it goes into and out of sleep on demand without any problem. 

However, it does have a limitation. If you want 10 bit RGB color, you have to set the desktop to no more than 4K @ 30 Hz resolution. If you set the desktop to 4K @ 60 Hz, you will get 8 bit color at the desktop, and Windows will report "8-bit plus dithering" for the Color Depth in System->Display->Advanced Display when playing 10 bit video in Kodi, even for resolutions that work at 10 bits, like 4K @ 23.976. If you set the desktop to 4K @ 30 Hz or below, Windows will report "10-bit". Setting the desktop to a 10 bit resolution that allows 60Hz, like 1080p60, only affects test videos I have that are 4K @ 60 Hz, as the Kodi supported resolutions whitelist tops out at 4K @ 30 Hz, so those videos play at 30 Hz. Everything below 4K @ 60 Hz plays normally at the correct resolution, refresh rate, and 10 bit color depth. Apparently, the desktop color depth caps the Kodi whitelist, so while you might think videos could play at 4K @ 60 Hz and "8-bit plus dithering", it isn't allowed.

Nvidia, as represented by RTX 3060 Ti, GT 1030

I originally moved to Android in 2018 because video would stutter a frame or two every hour or so with my GT 1030 card. I gave Nvidia another try a couple months ago, and I found nothing has changed even with my current RTX 3060 Ti. It appears the reason is that Nvidia doesn't handle the 23.976 refresh rate properly, which I talked about in more detail earlier in this thread:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3182023

AMD, as represented by the Beelink SER5 5560U mini PC running Windows 11 Pro

This is a nice machine, but Beelink seems to have limited the HDMI port in the same way as the N100, i.e. it can't do 4K @ 60 Hz @ 10 bits. It's also more expensive than the N100, and since it doesn't overcome the one limitation of the N100 that matters to me, I don't think it's worth the extra money. Moreover, it imparted a slight green tint to video, and I opened a bug report on it:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/24712

To summarize, Kodi chose Pixel Shaders instead of DXVA for the Render Method with no way to override and select DXVA, and Pixel Shaders impart a green tint on all machines I tested, including the N100 and my RTX 3060 Ti main machine. The Pixel Shaders lock-in was due to the AMD driver stating that's all it supports, which apparently is not universal for AMD chips, but the green tint was due to a color space conversion bug in the Pixel Shaders code, which now has a proposed fix. Thanks to @thexai for figuring all this out!

Android, as represented by Chromecast with Google TV (CCwGTV), Onn 4K box (2023), and Fire Cube (3rd gen)

With these Android devices, I didn't observe the motion problem I have with Nvidia or the color problem I have with AMD, but they have their own relatively minor but still annoying problems. When I have Kodi adjust refresh rate, and I start a video that needs it changed, my TV goes black for a couple of seconds, which is normal, but then all of them like to flashbang me with the Kodi home screen for a split second before playback actually starts. As for audio, the Onn and Fire Cube have a glitch that doesn't affect the CCwGTV, in that within a second after I skip forward or back in a video, I'll hear a split second glitch/tick in the audio. Finally, the CCwGTV with the Android 12 update stutters badly on all video in Kodi, but this can be worked around by enabling Developer Options in CCwGTV settings and enabling "Disable HW overlays". Unfortunately, it's turned off when the device is rebooted, so you have to keep on top of it. Also, it seems to lose effectiveness over the course of a few days.

If I were to continue using Android, I'd seriously consider running Kodi on my A80J itself, which I happily did for a couple of years. The only downside I found was that Kodi is unable to switch refresh rates due to the TV being stuck on Android 10, which likely saved me from the aforementioned flashbangs, at the least.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testing out Intel N100 MiniPCs for 2024, are they any good?0