Testing out Intel N100 MiniPCs for 2024, are they any good?
(2024-03-01, 17:29)jjd-uk Wrote: This is only an issue with Alder Lake chips. There is no issue with other Intel hardware.

i understood that but it's still "always something", i've tested quite a few devices this passed 12 months, some i've posted about and some i've returned without mentioning because it was just terrible
(2024-03-01, 17:12)izprtxqkft Wrote: that's a common theme though, every platform has some sort of caveat
windows are listed above
libreelec you have to use a kernel patch to limit to 10bit or suffer audio drop outs
coreelec doesn't actually do DV profile 7 and converts it to profile 8 under the hood due to a kernel/driver thing (unless fixed recently)
android depending on the device cannot switch refresh rates and/or certain audio passthrough won't work

it's still very much buy something that does MOSTLY what you want and then accept some sort of deficiency

Right. I've already become familiar with Windows and Android over the years, and as long as one of those two can be made to work, I really had no interest to learn the ins and outs of Linux and the various standalone projects. At the least, I want to be able to edit configuration files and backup the system; with Windows I can log in directly or Remote Desktop in if I want to, and I've learned enough adb to do what I need in Android. I also like that I can easily Bitlocker a Windows system, which protects things like passwords.xml, which I realize is more of an "It's the principle of the thing" than a real concern, as I created a limited account on my NAS (media files) and main system (photos) and share only what's necessary on a readonly basis, but still...

As I explained, my path to the N100 went through years of Windows/Nvidia, five years of Android, about a month of Windows/Nvidia, a couple of weeks or so back to Android, including a brief detour from CCwGTV and Onn 4K 2023 to a Fire Cube 3, and then the N100. There it ends, because it doesn't suffer the problems I listed for the other platforms, and its only deficiency is topping out at 4K@30Hz@10bits, which only hinders playback of a couple of test files I have. On Windows 11 Pro, it's giving me the best Kodi I've had to date. TBH, I would've stuck with Kodi running on my A80J TV (Android 10) if I hadn't gotten the "Match refresh rate" itch, because that experience had been essentially perfect for two years. My only complaint there was that the TV liked to shut Kodi down when turned off, and I was never able to fully solve that problem like on my other Android boxes. The N100 has been going in and out of sleep flawlessly, so it even works for always-on Kodi.
(2024-03-01, 20:44)crawfish Wrote: Right. I've already become familiar with Windows and Android over the years, and as long as one of those two can be made to work, I really had no interest to learn the ins and outs of Linux and the various standalone projects. At the least, I want to be able to edit configuration files and backup the system; with Windows I can log in directly or Remote Desktop in if I want to, and I've learned enough adb to do what I need in Android. I also like that I can easily Bitlocker a Windows system, which protects things like passwords.xml, which I realize is more of an "It's the principle of the thing" than a real concern, as I created a limited account on my NAS (media files) and main system (photos) and share only what's necessary on a readonly basis, but still...

LibreElec and CoreElec are both a long way from standard Linux - they are really much more 'plug and play'. However if you can Remote Desktop into Windows, you can use Putty to SSH into LibreElec or CoreElec should you need to edit files. If you can use a Windows CMD command line, you can use Linux. There's a pretty shallow learning curve - I went through it (I hadn't use Unix-like OSs since university in the early 90s before I started using Linux in the late 00s)

If you're tied into an OS proprietary security infrastructure though I can understand you wanting to stay with Windows - but Linux-based systems like LE and CE are far less scary than sometimes they sound.

Pretty much everything I play for main living-room viewing in SDR or HDR, and with full HD Audio, I now play on a Linux-based OS - LE, CE or OSMC.

All my DRM SVoD stuff I play on an Apple TV 4K.
(2024-03-02, 12:43)noggin Wrote: LibreElec and CoreElec are both a long way from standard Linux - they are really much more 'plug and play'. However if you can Remote Desktop into Windows, you can use Putty to SSH into LibreElec or CoreElec should you need to edit files. If you can use a Windows CMD command line, you can use Linux. There's a pretty shallow learning curve - I went through it (I hadn't use Unix-like OSs since university in the early 90s before I started using Linux in the late 00s)

I'm sure there are ways to do it. I used to have a Synology NAS that I set up with SSH in WSL so that among other things, I could mount encrypted folders from my PC, and I would need a major reason to go through anything like that again. I was so happy when I built my current PC a couple years ago, which let me relegate my old PC to Windows 10 file server status and get rid of the Synology. That was the most seriously I had to think about Unix-like systems in quite some time, and there are things I enjoy more these days.
So what are you now using for live tv interlaced content? You are _the_ person to ask about it. I'm considering Intel N100, but that is not on your list. Live (european) DVB-C is the main consumption. N100 will cost me around 300 EUR, and I could go for something cheaper (even with a low noise fan) rather than that 300 EUR. Recommendations for a 1080i content main consumer who also want's to decode at least some common HEVC?
(2024-04-16, 00:04)IwantThisToWork2 Wrote: So what are you now using for live tv interlaced content?

i dont use live tv
i dont use interlaced content
so the answer to the questions is nothing

if i happen to view live tv it's through one of the streaming offers, Hulu, Pluto, Tubi, Google TV, YouTube TV, Samsung TV
but those usually require an L1 device (android) to view the content in any decent quality

if i'm following a tv series "as it airs" i usually purchase the season on Amazon or watch it as it airs on Hulu

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testing out Intel N100 MiniPCs for 2024, are they any good?0