• 20(current)
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024
Lightbulb 
(2024-04-25, 07:56)meridius Wrote: Hi there what about the Ugoos AM8 that looks like it supports Dolby vision all formats and av1 ? I have app with Kodi and looking to upgrade as I am going 4k but wanted a system that will play all hdr content so wonder if this is the box to get. And would it be worth it over the Am6B+
A lot of devices can playback DolbyVision, but are they doing it correctly? The AM6B+ is one such device that can, but it needs to use the CoreELEC operating system with a unique dovi.ko module to have bit-perfect DoVi playback. There is two major DoVi problems for media players, one is playing DoVi Profile 7 FEL from UHD discs that have been ripped into an .MKV container without losing the EL (enhancement layer), second is correct transmission of Standard DolbyVision (a.k.a TV-LED) so that DoVi is processed correctly by the TV's picture processor to the best of the TV's capabilities.

Extensive tests have been done by members of AVSforum, read this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/picture...s.3243456/

Verdict from that thread is Ugoos AM6B+ is best.

So, you can buy the AM8 now and cross your fingers its software gets better over time, though no guarantee it will, or buy the AM6+ and know it works correctly with CoreELEC. And functionally speaking the AM8 doesn't add any "new" Android features over the cheaper Ugoos X4Q_Extra (S905X4-J) box, except the more powerful chipset.
(2024-01-24, 19:13)hdmkv Wrote: > A rooted Fire TV Cube 3 is another option, but performance is limited by its USB 2.0 port

The link provided specifically states that the solution is for Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation, not 3rd.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Oops, thanks, my bad, meant Cube 2.
(2024-04-25, 09:58)ricklar Wrote:
(2024-04-25, 07:56)meridius Wrote: Hi there what about the Ugoos AM8 that looks like it supports Dolby vision all formats and av1 ? I have app with Kodi and looking to upgrade as I am going 4k but wanted a system that will play all hdr content so wonder if this is the box to get. And would it be worth it over the Am6B+
A lot of devices can playback DolbyVision, but are they doing it correctly? The AM6B+ is one such device that can, but it needs to use the CoreELEC operating system with a unique dovi.ko module to have bit-perfect DoVi playback. There is two major DoVi problems for media players, one is playing DoVi Profile 7 FEL from UHD discs that have been ripped into an .MKV container without losing the EL (enhancement layer), second is correct transmission of Standard DolbyVision (a.k.a TV-LED) so that DoVi is processed correctly by the TV's picture processor to the best of the TV's capabilities.

Extensive tests have been done by members of AVSforum, read this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/picture...s.3243456/

Verdict from that thread is Ugoos AM6B+ is best.

So, you can buy the AM8 now and cross your fingers its software gets better over time, though no guarantee it will, or buy the AM6+ and know it works correctly with CoreELEC. And functionally speaking the AM8 doesn't add any "new" Android features over the cheaper Ugoos X4Q_Extra (S905X4-J) box, except the more powerful chipset.

Cheers so

read the whole thread and seems that the Am6b+ is the toy to buy for all Dolby vision support but a few questions as I am upgrading to a 4K tv soon.

does the Am6b+ do
1. All audio pass through to amp to decode for audio such as atmos and dtsx
2. Will the player do a better job at video picture quality than my 12 year old pc ati card running kodi meaning a much better image.
3. Do auto fame switching like 24fps from 50
4. Will it play all dvd and Blu-ray formats from old encodes like mpeg2 and avc
5. Run all demanding skins
6 have no lip syncs issues as I had a few with my pc.
7 play the most demanding high bitrate 4K Blu-ray untouched rips
8. Play web-dl Dolby is on or hdr
9 play hdr10 and hdr plus or do you not need this support.
10 plays SDR AND 1080P better than a pc can in picture quality as I have some SDR videos

i was going to build a new pc but found out nothing plays hdr correctly until the Am6b+ for the correct support so looks like I might need to buy this box.

Is there any disadvantages in the Am6b+ over a pc meaning I will not lose what I can do now apart from gaining Dolby vision and hopefully better image

I always use kodi for the front end to and will that support Dolby vision.

Also where is best in the uk to buy them from.
Thanks for any help.
So, your questions prompted me to conduct extensive testing with my AM6B+ under CoreELEC, which I had not done... I'm actually more impressed with this box. It's my favorite pure Kodi box ever, and I'm a looongtime Kodi fan.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes to MPEG2 & AVC. To my surprise, VC-1 plays back just fine under CE, contrary to what I'd read about (don't care to test under Android). Several of my VC-1 Blu-ray rips that are 1080i/60, 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 all played fine
5. Yes, but can only speak to Estuary and Arctic: Zephyr - Reloaded
6. No lip synch issues
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. Plays both HDR10 and 10+ well
10. As good, and possibly better with this Dolby VS10 development

The only format AM6B+ struggles with is AV1. Tested 24p to 60p and all stuttered. However, another pleasant surprise, VP9 and VP9 Profile 2 videos, at any framerates, all play just fine.

Quote:Is there any disadvantages in the Am6b+ over a pc meaning I will not lose what I can do now apart from gaining Dolby vision and hopefully better image
From Kodi perspective, none that I can think of. Only that with a solid HTPC, performance will be snappier. As a media player though, AM6B+ is no slouch, and rather snappy under CoreELEC.

Quote:Also where is best in the uk to buy them from.
Not sure, but got both my AM6B+ units from AliExpress. Second one was about $157 shipped to the U.S.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thanks @hdmkv - I am now leaning towards the AM6B+ over the Cube 3 (will keep the Shield Pro for general streaming).

EDIT @hdmkv - is it still possible to move the Kodi data frolder from Shield to AM6B+ despite the OS differences?
Believe so Smile. You'll need to go into Kodi settings to (re)select video & audio options, as well as new CoreELEC DV options. I use FileZilla with my AM6B+ to move data, including advancedsettings.xml and playlist files.
(Yesterday, 03:00)hdmkv Wrote: So, your questions prompted me to conduct extensive testing with my AM6B+ under CoreELEC, which I had not done... I'm actually more impressed with this box. It's my favorite pure Kodi box ever, and I'm a looongtime Kodi fan.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes to MPEG2 & AVC. To my surprise, VC-1 plays back just fine under CE, contrary to what I'd read about (don't care to test under Android). Several of my VC-1 Blu-ray rips that are 1080i/60, 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 all played fine
6. No lip synch issues
7. Yes
8. Yes

The only format AM6B+ struggles with is AV1. Tested 24p to 60p and all stuttered. However, another pleasant surprise, VP9 and VP9 Profile 2 videos, at any framerates, all play just fine.

Quote:Is there any disadvantages in the Am6b+ over a pc meaning I will not lose what I can do now apart from gaining Dolby vision and hopefully better image
From Kodi perspective, none that I can think of. Only that with a solid HTPC, performance will be snappier. As a media player though, AM6B+ is no slouch, and rather snappy under CoreELEC.

Not sure, but got both my AM6B+ units from AliExpress. Second one was about $157 shipped to the U.S.

Thank you very much this box might just retire my 20 year old pc running Xbmc/ Kodi installs over the years. It’s been a long time coming as I have been looking at at different front end for years and nothing ever really could replace a pc until a box that could Do all hdr formats.

Believe it or not my fav skin is Arctic: Zephyr - Reloaded. Love it as I have trailers auto playing and skin is totally custom to my liking and was worried these boxes could not run it.

The other questions I could not remember but now do is

1 I use smb share as I have a windows based server that hold all my drives would the AM6B+ be able to access the shares. ?

2 I don’t think I use av-1 coded videos as these tend to be YouTube and streaming service are they not ? I am not sure on what tv and movie rips code they use in 4k in web-dl content but I am sure they are hevc / H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2 and these should play on the am6b+
3. What sort of picture improvement would the output do compared to a ati driven based pc just out of interest.

And it’s the Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 box as there seems to be three versions.

https://ugoos.com/ugoos-am6b-plus-2021
And there’s

Says 2024 version but link says 2021 ??
https://ugoos.store/products/ugoos-am6b-plus-2021

It’s their own official site I think something about 2024 firmware.

Also just thought I bring this up what about all this Chinese spying stuff that went on about android boxes does this not apply

Thanks again
Homatics released a new beta firmware (5394) for 4k plus  that solve the problem with local file playback

So for me now this box is the best option (imho) for my use
Homatics is a good (and almost do-it-all) box.

(Yesterday, 07:57)meridius Wrote: The other questions I could not remember but now do is

1 I use smb share as I have a windows based server that hold all my drives would the AM6B+ be able to access the shares. ?

2 I don’t think I use av-1 coded videos as these tend to be YouTube and streaming service are they not ? I am not sure on what tv and movie rips code they use in 4k in web-dl content but I am sure they are hevc / H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2 and these should play on the am6b+
3. What sort of picture improvement would the output do compared to a ati driven based pc just out of interest.

And it’s the Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 box as there seems to be three versions.

https://ugoos.com/ugoos-am6b-plus-2021
And there’s

Says 2024 version but link says 2021 ??
https://ugoos.store/products/ugoos-am6b-plus-2021

It’s their own official site I think something about 2024 firmware.

Also just thought I bring this up what about all this Chinese spying stuff that went on about android boxes does this not apply

Thanks again
Hmm, wasn't aware they had a "2024" firmware updated version. I'd expect you could update the firmware on your own. Maybe just applies to the Android OS, don't know. I'd ask in the CoreELEC forum.

No problems with SMB shares; it's what I'm using to stream from my Synology & Qnap NAS-es. Re: AV1, all my videos are YouTube downloaded samples (like these, or recent music videos). On PQ improvement over an ATI based PC, sorry I'm not well versed in PC's for Kodi/home theater use.
thanks all 
what about 
the  VC-1 codec blu rays what happens if there is a problem like the shining, and is there a way to fix it as i have many olde Blu rays like
Video

ID :1
Format :VC-1
Format profile :Advanced@L3
Codec ID :V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
will these play

2 is there any problems with using a usb dongle and Logitech keyboard with tis unit
3. using any remote like a Logitech 
4. can you leave this box running all the time or is it best to power it up from cold and can you boot Straight into Kodi 
5.  someone said to go for the minix u22-xj unit box is this a better unit than the am6b+

which unit to go for out of the links i posted ?

thanks
(Yesterday, 14:08)Roby77 Wrote: Homatics released a new beta firmware (5394) for 4k plus  that solve the problem with local file playback

So for me now this box is the best option (imho) for my use

I bought one last year but it’s performance when navigating a large media library (movies and music) is horrendous. Even scanning my files is snail slow. Users can’t run off the eMMC storage, only a USB thumb drive.

I updated to latest firmware recently. It’s unusable on my network (two Synology NASs with NFS, I have multiple Kodi boxes. No problems with others).
(2024-04-24, 19:21)ashlar Wrote:
(2024-04-24, 03:16)HomerJau Wrote: I suspect the Ugoos AM6B+ with Kodi does not output 24bit audio after looking at some screen shots proving DoVi is working correctly over on CoreElec forum.

I’ve got one on order and will confirm as soon as I can.

Unless you're talking about FLAC music, I don't see how it could not if it bistreams TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Apologies. Yes I meant 24bit PCM. I have a large library of 24bit FLAC music.
(Yesterday, 03:00)hdmkv Wrote: So, your questions prompted me to conduct extensive testing with my AM6B+ under CoreELEC, which I had not done... I'm actually more impressed with this box. It's my favorite pure Kodi box ever, and I'm a looongtime Kodi fan.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
6. No lip synch issues
7. Yes
8. Yes

So you all bought from the Play TV seller at aliexpress ? , I noticed they have two versions which is £1 difference one states the Bluetooth the other does not dot understand why they have two up for sale as the title says
UGOOS AM6B Plus TV BOX Amlogic S922X-J Android 9.0 DDR4 4GB RAM 32GB WiFi6 1000M BT5.0 OTT 4K AM6 Plus TVBOX
the other
UGOOS AM6B Plus Wifi 6 Smart Android TV BOX Android 9.0 Amlogic S922X-J DDR4 4GB 32GB BT 1000M 4k TVBOX Media Player Set top box are the just the same. also did anyone get the different remote versions ? I do have a Logitech harmony Hub and remote so not sure if i need the extra remote if i have these as i tend to use alexa to tell harmony hub to turn on pc can this be done with this am6B Plus .

I can not see anything about the  flirc be used at all with this device ? and can  any usb keyboards as i have a Logitech Bluetooth dongle that a Logitech keyboard connects to

thanks just about to pull the trigger as just needing to know if there is anything i might need to look out
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 20240