• 4(current)
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024
(2024-01-27, 12:30)ashlar Wrote:
(2024-01-26, 19:51)hdmkv Wrote: added N100 to post #1. Please LMK if I captured the pros/cons correctly.

Are you sure that small Intel boxes have enough GPU power to run madVR effectively, for tone mapping purposes?
You're probably right, no. As madVR is really a separate solution, I'll remove it.
Homatics updated atv 12 beta and surprise surprise

Form telegram group:

Quote:. hello, everyone.
homatics box r 4k plus v61762 has dts.hd and dts.x now.
Anyone who wants it could contact me privately.
(2024-01-28, 21:32)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-01-27, 12:30)ashlar Wrote:
(2024-01-26, 19:51)hdmkv Wrote: added N100 to post #1. Please LMK if I captured the pros/cons correctly.

Are you sure that small Intel boxes have enough GPU power to run madVR effectively, for tone mapping purposes?
You're probably right, no. As madVR is really a separate solution, I'll remove it.

That is awesome news.
Indeed. Happily updating post #1. @Roby77, how does one join the Telegram group? Assume this is beta testers only.
------------------------------
Looks like the new Dune Pro One 8K Plus w/S928X-K/J SoC is available to order now.
(2024-01-29, 17:42)hdmkv Wrote: Indeed. Happily updating post #1. @Roby77, how does one join the Telegram group? Assume this is beta testers only.
------------------------------
Looks like the new Dune Pro One 8K Plus w/S928X-K/J SoC is available to order now.

Beta telegram group:
https://t.me/+rysDipqwuZk4NDBl

I don't have homatics yet (I would like to buy dune for ir remote and black version it's more waf)

2) strange world.. I would bet in s905x5 devices in 2024

On cnx website some one told me that s905x5 is more powerful than s928

Let's see
So I read the specs
Interesting but really expensive

S905x5 has also h.266 does it really matter ?
Looks like S905X5 will be AmLogic's budget line offering (rumored for Google TV 2 later this year), and S928X premium. Latter is starting to be available now, and former is expected mid-2024. H.266 seems will be a AV1 competitor. Probably too soon to worry about it for media player support as even AV1 is just now getting some adoption. New SoC's also mean new bugs & time to get decent firmwares.
wanted to share this, it's a pretty accurate comparison of the bottom 2 options

N100 MiniPC vs Raspberry Pi5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjzvh-bfV-E

compares price, performance and wattage so rather comprehensive

*notes
all complaints about the N100 seem to be windows related
the setup time on Windows that was complained about was probably less time than building the Pi
the nvme on the Pi was pre-imaged but that time was not included in comparisons of setup time
of course Pi is Linux so comparing a Linux to Windows experience is really not the point, just run whichever suits you i'm not trying to start a journey down that road

and Jeff is a really big Pi fan so he was really trying to lean in favor of the Pi
Can N95 or N100 do 23.976 refresh rates properly? My Nvidia RTX 3060ti has continuous hitching trouble with this motion bars sample file from the Kodi Wiki when switching refresh rates:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

2. H.264 1080p/23.976

OTOH, the 24 Hz version plays fine. My Android 12 devices like CCwGTV and Onn 4K (2023) handle both files fine. Both my PC and Android are connected to my Sony A80J TV. Last time I tried a PC for Kodi was several years ago with a GT 1030 card, and I moved to Android because I was observing non-reproducible split second stutters occurring once an hour or so in real material. I think this probably explains it, and I found this post that bolsters my conclusion:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/23-976h...t-60496675

Unfortunately, moving from GT 1030 to RTX 3060ti and i5 4670 to 5800X hasn't improved on this problem, and I'm back to my Android devices. So does anyone know if these N95 or N100 mini PCs play 23.976 properly? Does AMD do better than Nvidia in desktop systems?

NB: I'm using Windows 11 Pro on my desktop PC and would by default use it on a mini PC.
(2024-01-30, 06:57)crawfish Wrote: Unfortunately, moving from GT 1030 to RTX 3060ti and i5 4670 to 5800X hasn't improved on this problem, and I'm back to my Android devices. So does anyone know if these N95 or N100 mini PCs play 23.976 properly? Does AMD do better than Nvidia in desktop systems?

I've been using Intel NUCs with Intel UHD graphics chips and LibreElec for years and never had any problems playing 23.976.  These N95, N100s also use Intel graphics chips so as long as the drivers don't have any issues I would hope they perform as well.  I may grab one of these N100s to do some testing.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-29, 22:24)izprtxqkft Wrote: wanted to share this, it's a pretty accurate comparison of the bottom 2 options

N100 MiniPC vs Raspberry Pi5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjzvh-bfV-E

compares price, performance and wattage so rather comprehensive

*notes
all complaints about the N100 seem to be windows related
the setup time on Windows that was complained about was probably less time than building the Pi
the nvme on the Pi was pre-imaged but that time was not included in comparisons of setup time
of course Pi is Linux so comparing a Linux to Windows experience is really not the point, just run whichever suits you i'm not trying to start a journey down that road

and Jeff is a really big Pi fan so he was really trying to lean in favor of the Pi
This was a mostly fair video. I think for most people the n100 is the better deal right now. The pi 5 just chokes really bad in desktop mode when connected to a 4k monitor. It does ok at 1080p but no one is buying devices for 1080p anymore. But for a librelec device only if you get the 4 gig model and stick to sd card the pi 5 is still kinda price competitive.
(2024-01-30, 13:07)jbinkley60 Wrote: I've been using Intel NUCs with Intel UHD graphics chips and LibreElec for years and never had any problems playing 23.976.  These N95, N100s also use Intel graphics chips so as long as the drivers don't have any issues I would hope they perform as well.  I may grab one of these N100s to do some testing.

Jeff

Have you tried that specific file I linked? It makes the problem painfully, unmistakably, immediately, and continuously obvious on my Nvidia card, while just watching normal video, the issue is somehow masked to a split second stutter occurring perhaps once per hour, at least to my eyes. It's rare and quick enough that you could miss it. And it's not just that one file. There's a set of "Motion Bars" files I've had since 2012 that elicit the same behavior, in particular, "MotionBars_1080p23.976.m2ts". It's similar in principle but clearly different.

These mini PCs do seem very interesting, especially as they're getting more affordable!
(2024-01-30, 19:28)crawfish Wrote: and continuously obvious on my Nvidia card

it is entirely possible to get different behavior in LibreELEC vs Windows as well, it could be in the windows driver that Libre doesn't use f.e.
so if you're on windows and plan to be on windows i would wait for a report that it works fine in Windows

if i can get over installing windows i will check it but don't hold out too long, i'm not sure i can force myself to do it
(2024-01-30, 19:55)izprtxqkft Wrote: it is entirely possible to get different behavior in LibreELEC vs Windows as well, it could be in the windows driver that Libre doesn't use f.e.
so if you're on windows and plan to be on windows i would wait for a report that it works fine in Windows

if i can get over installing windows i will check it but don't hold out too long, i'm not sure i can force myself to do it

Good point. It's almost funny, Nvidia works on shiny stuff like AI upscaling but just punts on the most basic thing.
(2024-01-30, 23:13)crawfish Wrote:  Good point. It's almost funny, Nvidia works on shiny stuff like AI upscaling but just punts on the most basic thing.

alright, i sucked it up and prepped this mini-pc with Windows 11 and Kodi on it, i'll do testing tomorrow
what am i looking for in the sample video above?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 20240