Passthrough issues on Nokia ATV box
Hi, can somebody please help?

I am running Kodi 20.3 on a Nokia 8010 ATV box, connected via HDMI to Onkyo TX-NR696 7.2 AVR, currently in a 3.2 speaker config. I use passthrough (RAW), there was no audio at all with the IEC one. When playing videos with DD sound, I am getting massive audio delays (ca. 4 seconds and more) when starting playback and after (un)pausing it. In the latter case quite often the sound won't come back at all. The issue seems to be with the audio switching from DD to PCM 2.0 whenever the content isn't playing. This is not happening with DTS sources, only DD.

After experimenting with all possible setting combinations, what seems to have helped somewhat is setting number of channels to 7.1 and enabling stereo upmix. Strange, I know, these settings should be ignored with pasthrough.

Now, the delay on start is approx. 1 second rather than 4, and the audio remains in DD rather than going into PCM when paused, at least as per the icons on AVR display - input audio OSD info shows nothing, not even PCM. After unpause, after ca. 1 second the sound starts (again rather than 4 before) then however it becomes unstable. With 5.1 sources it usually only breaks once or twice again for a fraction of a second, then all is good. With 2.0 sources it breaks more times, quite often not resuming normally at all. During these breaks again the AVR OSD is showing no audio input.

Anyway, my question, any tips for getting rid of this annoying behaviour completely, please? Is there a reason why the DD passthrough doesn't simply stay engaged when paused, same as DTS does?

When I play the same videos using say VLC (outside Kodi) this change from DD to PCM happens as well, but sound always resumes within less than a second w/o further issues.

Thanks, TG.
Most likely problem is Nokia 8010 bad/broken firmware. Many complaints on Reddit {r/AndroidTV} and AVSforum thread: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/homatic...st#replies

​​​​​Complaints are with every version of Firmware released for your device so far.

Suggestions:

1) Download all Audio Test clips to verify exactly what format of Dolby is causing the problem. Samples: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#4K_.28UltraHD.29_Formats

​​​​​​2) Provide a Log: https://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=Log_file

3) Or, Upgrade KODI to Omega.Beta.3 and see this thread for changes: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376161

---
Suggested KODI Audio Settings for Amlogic devices with Android:
  • Audio Output Device: AudioTrack(IEC) {default}
  • Number of Channels: 2.0
  • Output Configuration: Best Match
  • Maintain Original Volume on Downmix: ON
  • Stereo Upmix: OFF
  • Keep Audio Device Alive: 1 Minute or Always
  • Send Low Volume Noise: ON
  • Play GUI sounds: Only when playback stopped or Never
  • Allow Passthrough: ON
  • Passthrough output device: AudioTrack(RAW), Android packer
  • -- Enable DolbyDigital (AC3) transcoding: ON
  • -- Also Enable/Turn-On the audio formats that your AVR/SoundBar is capable of playing (check your specs).

Note: most all Amlogic devices with Android are broken when using the AudioTrack(IEC) passthrough output device setting.
Hi ricklar, thanks.

Problem is with AC3 2.0 and 5.1 formats, don't seem to be available in the list?

Broken FW sounds surprising since the issue is not observed outside of Kodi.

Omega Beta - no change.

Suggested settings were my starting position.

Let me try the debug log.
Just to confirm same behavior with the EAC3 samples. However, touching all wood around, problem seems to be gone or minimal when changing 2.0 to 7.1 in the suggested setup above, nothing else.
Ignore my last comment. Seemed to have been working well for a while - AVR even kept showing DD when paused, but after restart back to the usual 2.0 or 7.1 makes no difference.
(2024-02-28, 11:11)tyrol_gangster Wrote: Omega Beta - no change.

If running Beta3 make sure to read post #1 of this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376161
...maybe you need to Add the <superviseaudiodelay> setting like the Cube.3 needs.

What are the SOUND settings you've selected in the Android.TV.Settings? If you're using Passthrough, maybe you need to leave on AUTO, or if you're using AUTO maybe you need to switch to Passthrough.
(2024-02-28, 14:19)ricklar Wrote: ...maybe you need to Add the <superviseaudiodelay> setting like the Cube.3 needs.

any audio supervision only applies to the Kodi IEC, the RAW IEC is provided by android and Kodi has no control over what it does/doesn't do

this box just has broken firmware as you pointed out in post #2

OP is more than welcome to provide the required Debug Log in order to attempt to disprove this

The instructions are here... Debug Log

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2024-02-28, 14:19)ricklar Wrote:
(2024-02-28, 11:11)tyrol_gangster Wrote: Omega Beta - no change.

If running Beta3 make sure to read post #1 of this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376161
...maybe you need to Add the <superviseaudiodelay> setting like the Cube.3 needs.

What are the SOUND settings you've selected in the Android.TV.Settings? If you're using Passthrough, maybe you need to leave on AUTO, or if you're using AUTO maybe you need to switch to Passthrough.

Or maybe - he needs a new pair of ears. Or maybe he need to time travel to Alderan. No idea, might be both.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Now that everyone had a good laugh: Debug Log or no help possible.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough issues on Nokia ATV box0