H264 problems
Hi I recently swapped Nvidia to AMD GPU. I am now able to use wayland. However, Kodi is not playing H264 format. I can hear audio but no video. VLC plays the same file fine. It's just Kodi I have this issue> I have tried various options ie.e adjust refresh rate etc that I found on this forum, but none of them seems to be working. I tried the same in X11, but no luck. I deleted Kodi along with the config file and reinstalled.

Any suggestions?

OS Fedora 39 (Wayland)
AMD GPU
Kodi version: 20.4
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi pasted on this site

https://paste.kodi.tv/aqarixicoj.kodi
I don't think you played any file in that log so there is nothing we can look into.
Sorry this should work. From line 458

https://paste.kodi.tv/ijusebofij.kodi
can you create an additional paste with the output of "vainfo" (in a terminal)?

just to ensure it has the decode profile for what you're attempting to play
The flatpak version of kodi doesn't play nice with hardware decoding (at least with AMD). The choices end up being:
1. Turn off h/w decoding (allow hardware acceleration - vaapi [unchecked])
2. Use your distro's native repo version of kodi
3. Compile kodi (and need binaries) from source

I say this because after I found out the Ubuntu PPA (I run linux mint) wasn't being maintained anymore I switched to the flatpak version and had the same problems as you, both on a laptop with an AMD A-series APU and on my Ryzen HTPC with an RX 5500 XT. I could deal with software decoding on the HTPC, but not on the laptop since I watch interlaced content. I ended up compiling Nexus for the desktop and Omega on the laptop, both run hardware decoding/de-interlacing fine. I didn't use my distro's repo because it is still on Leia or Matrix.
Hi I get the below, however, on further reading about this, I realized Fedora has disabled AMD/Intel GPU video acceleration. Kind of let down.

vainfo: command not found

I will have to see what I need to do to enable this.
Thanks for this recommendation. The RPMFusion version works although hardware acceleration is switched on.

What's the difference, HA was enabled on both Flathub and RPMfusion versions. But one works and the other doesn't. Does it mean the RPMFusion version is bypassing HA although it is enabled?
No, it's just the way flatpak sandbox works sometimes; It has some weird GL issues with AMD for some reason. Sometimes it's just easier to go another route then to troubleshoot. I can tell you, however, that the RPMfusion version is using your native drivers on your native DE, and the flatpak version is running on the freedesktop platform (in a sandbox) using the video drivers that are compiled for whatever version (of freedesktop) kodi-flatpak was built against.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H264 problems0