• 4(current)
Computer hardware best suited 720p playback in XBMC today?
Ok. So I've ordered the EEE box and I've ordered a 2Gb Lexar Jumpdrive Lightning to run XBMC live from. Theres one last thing I need...a remote control.

Can anyone recommend something that going to work right away? I understand any MCEUSB2 remote will work but any recommendations?

Is a PS3 Blueray remote easy to get working with Live?
HexusOdy Wrote:Ok. So I've ordered the EEE box and I've ordered a 2Gb Lexar Jumpdrive Lightning to run XBMC live from. Theres one last thing I need...a remote control.

Can anyone recommend something that going to work right away? I understand any MCEUSB2 remote will work but any recommendations?

Is a PS3 Blueray remote easy to get working with Live?

The first step is a Bluetooth-dongle! Laugh Or is BT onboard? I know, there is a way to use the PS3-Sixaxis-Controller and PS3 Remote under Windows XP and Vista, but XBMC Live is an other story...
Avenger_Zero Wrote:The first step is a Bluetooth-dongle! Laugh Or is BT onboard? I know, there is a way to use the PS3-Sixaxis-Controller and PS3 Remote under Windows XP and Vista, but XBMC Live is an other story...

PS3 BT remote is possible, and it comes with the BT dongle. I have a stock in the Live support forum that tells how to get it working. But I know zero about Linux so for now I want a remote that will work out of the box.

I know all version 2 of MCE USB remotes work out of the box, but would like to find a nice one. Alot of them are ugly silver plastic crap!
I see that my thread has been renamed from "The Ultimate XBMC configuration?" to "Computer hardware best suited 720p playback in XBMC today?".

However, I do not only want to address 720p, but all HD regions, such as 720p and 1080p and even 1440p. Please change the thread title accordingly Smile

Thanks you in advance,

FLX
I went for a prebuilt system for my HTPC

I had tried NMTs like the Popcorn Hour and Istar, but the lack of XBMC style graphics just left them lacking something,

Tried several PCs, till I found a Medion at Aldi that hit all the buttons

Quadcore Intel CPU - 3Gb Ram - Nvidia Graphics with HDMI - DVI & Component Outputs (Freeview and Sat Tuners built in) X10 Remote and the real deal maker, an ESata Hard drive bay on the top that you can plug in 750Gb Esata drives with no hassle just hot swap and off you go (I already had a 2Tb NAS), and with 10 of the 750gb external drives that covers my needs for the next few years! (Excessive I know but Aldi were selling the 750gb hot swaps off at £49.99 to get rid of them, so it would have been rude not to!)

PC was £469 with 3 year warranty, its whisper quiet and XBMC has never been so good. May not suit all but fits my needs like a glove!

I don't know much about it other than what is on their website, but looks like slingbox is coming out with a new product that can do pretty much what xbmc can already do, for only 299.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher
TeknoJnky Wrote:I don't know much about it other than what is on their website, but looks like slingbox is coming out with a new product that can do pretty much what xbmc can already do, for only 299.

Where's the fun in that??

Acer Revo 1600 | SpeedLink SL-6399 | Kodibuntu :nerd:
vickyl Wrote:I went for a prebuilt system for my HTPC

I had tried NMTs like the Popcorn Hour and Istar, but the lack of XBMC style graphics just left them lacking something,

Tried several PCs, till I found a Medion at Aldi that hit all the buttons

Quadcore Intel CPU - 3Gb Ram - Nvidia Graphics with HDMI - DVI & Component Outputs (Freeview and Sat Tuners built in) X10 Remote and the real deal maker, an ESata Hard drive bay on the top that you can plug in 750Gb Esata drives with no hassle just hot swap and off you go (I already had a 2Tb NAS), and with 10 of the 750gb external drives that covers my needs for the next few years! (Excessive I know but Aldi were selling the 750gb hot swaps off at £49.99 to get rid of them, so it would have been rude not to!)

PC was £469 with 3 year warranty, its whisper quiet and XBMC has never been so good. May not suit all but fits my needs like a glove!

Nice setup! BTW is that a polaroid TV?
No the TV is the same as the Computer Medion

40" LCD 1080P its getting a bit old now (3 years), was the first 1080P Medion did, soon to be shunted to the bedroom and replaced with something shiny and new...
It's good that you've got the good output capability, just for me, as setup like that would have a very low. WAF.. (Wife Acceptance Factor).

That's one of the really good things about the Xbox.. It sits in the hi-fi rack and is unobtrusive. That's why something like the Mac Mini would be ideal, just with a slightly faster CPU so it'll cope with 1080p and we'll all be happy.
Mine looks like this... clean.

And the hi-fi at the other end.

So it's critical that an XBOX replacement is small and neat!
You can easily built a HTPC smaller than an Xbox in a slimline Micro ATX chassis that will do 1080p. Most HTPC cases from Silverstone, Antec etc are smaller than Xbox 1 and will take everything you need to do 1080p easily.

Where it gets harder for 1080p is really small and really quiet.
HexusOdy Wrote:There is an Atom 330 CPU just out that is dual core so has more power but that won't do any better than 720p either and while it might be faster doing windows tasks it won't make much difference to your Media box. And there are no prebuilt systems out with the 330 yet.

I'll let you know soon, I have the dual-core atom 330 in an ITX formfactor arriving in a few days Wink
davilla Wrote:I'll let you know soon, I have the dual-core atom 330 in an ITX formfactor arriving in a few days Wink

I hope it works for you. From what I have read while the raw CPU power seems to be around 180% that of the single core the limited tests I have seen still say it wont do 1080p Sad
HexusOdy Wrote:I hope it works for you. From what I have read while the raw CPU power seems to be around 180% that of the single core the limited tests I have seen still say it wont do 1080p Sad

Actually I don't care much about 1080p, for that you need to go with a fast Core (2) duo. I'm after 720p high profileWink
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Computer hardware best suited 720p playback in XBMC today?3