Solved HDR won't activate without Mediacodec (Surface) mode
Hi! I run kodi-21.0-Omega_rc1-armeabi-v7a on Googe Chromecast wGTV, and I'm trying to play HDR videos in 4K resolution.
The thing is, playback is wrong in both cases:
  • If I enable Mediacodec (Surface) -- HDR plays properly, BUT video stutters. Like, tiny lags every few seconds. And I'm sure that LAN and WiFi is alright, other player plays same file just fine.
  • If I disable Surface and play only with Mediacodec -- HDR won't start, it renders colors wrong and TV doesn't go into HDR mode. 
So my question is - how do I fix HDR playback? Basically I need to fix stuttering in Surface mode or figure out how to enable HDR without Surface, any help will be very appreciated.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2024-03-12, 12:31)Ilmarranen Wrote: Hi! I run kodi-21.0-Omega_rc1-armeabi-v7a on Googe Chromecast wGTV, and I'm trying to play HDR videos in 4K resolution.
  • If I enable Mediacodec (Surface) -- HDR plays properly, BUT video stutters. Like, tiny lags every few seconds. And I'm sure that LAN and WiFi is alright, other player plays same file just fine.
  • If I disable Surface and play only with Mediacodec -- HDR won't start, it renders colors wrong and TV doesn't go into HDR mode. 
So my question is - how do I fix HDR playback? Basically I need to fix stuttering in Surface mode or figure out how to enable HDR without Surface, any help will be very appreciated.

As a workaround to eliminate the stuttering, try enabling Developer Mode, and then go into Settings->System->Developer Options and enable "Disable HW overlays". You'll have to do the latter every time you reboot the CCwGTV and probably more often than that, as IME, it seems to lose effectiveness after a few days. IIRC from researching this a few months ago, this has been needed since December 2022 or thereabouts.
(2024-03-13, 03:21)crawfish Wrote:
(2024-03-12, 12:31)Ilmarranen Wrote: Hi! I run kodi-21.0-Omega_rc1-armeabi-v7a on Googe Chromecast wGTV, and I'm trying to play HDR videos in 4K resolution.

As a workaround to eliminate the stuttering, try enabling Developer Mode, and then go into Settings->System->Developer Options and enable "Disable HW overlays". You'll have to do the latter every time you reboot the CCwGTV and probably more often than that, as IME, it seems to lose effectiveness after a few days. IIRC from researching this a few months ago, this has been needed since December 2022 or thereabouts.

OH MY GOD, you are life saver! It actually worked, no more stuttering in MediaCodec Surface mode! Really looking forward for updated CCwGTV, hope they'll fix some bugs in it and will include better tech.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR won't activate without Mediacodec (Surface) mode0