[Linux] input device hotpluging
Input devices should be hotplugable like on the xbox. if i trip over usb cord to my xbox remote and replug it i need to restart xbmc to get it working again. the same if i put it in sleep mode.

I guess that hal and dbus could work.
You need to give abit more info but from what I can tell that's not XBMC's fault. That's linux drivers that doesn't support hotplugging.
Most HW is hotpluggable in linux, keyboard, mouse and I think a configured LIRC is aswell.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Well actuly the linux drivers seems to work, in a hotpluging state.
it is just xbmc that needs a restart dmesg shows the device loading and unloading.
but hmms seems that you are kind of right

http://pastebin.com/f7bbfe4fd

as seen by dmesg it shows up as another input device when it gets reconected
in this case input 5 instead of input 4. but then restarting xbmc makes xbmc seeing the controller at the new adress. so a hal layer that detected new input devices should still be a great thing for xbmc.

in the same maner that xbmc can handel usb masstorage devices via hotplug
hmm i notice the Xpad (controller) indeed needs a restart of XBMC to work.. or is this just my problem? Smile
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] input device hotpluging0