Kodi HDR not working correctly, greyed/washed out (works fine outside of Kodi)
Hi,

Xbox Series X
Samsung S90C

basically when playing 4K x265 HDR10 movie through Kodi, the Kodi applies some weird filter and everything is washed, greyed out. Looking at TV settings HDR settings are not available meaning that no HDR content is detected while playing the movie in Kodi.

Playing the same movie through movie app or Plex works correctly, also displays correctly outside of the console (not a movie issue), all settings available everywhere outside of Kodi and HDR colours are correct.

This has only started happening around 1 month ago since I updated Kodi.

Tried to fresh install Kodi, issue continues.

I could watch the 4K x265 HDR10 movies on another player on Xbox where they play correctly, but I would really love to keep using Kodi. Is there anyway to fix it?
Please post the MediaInfo output of the video.
Example 1 
Example 2 
Example 3

Forgot to mention that the washed out/grey effect filter thing also effects the UI, not only the movie. When movies are played the normally blue progress bar and dot are now this greyish colour, blacks are washed out even in menu while watching that movie.
As long as you've enabled 'Adjust display HDR mode' Everything.Everywhere.All.at.Once.2022.2160p.UHD.BluRay.x265.10bit.HDR.DDP5.1.Atmos-RARBG should play OK as it's HDR10 whereas the others are HDR10+ and Dolby Vision without a compatible HDR10 layer which can't be played on the Xbox.
Height : 2 076 pixels

Height : 1 600 pixels

Writing library : x265 3.5+rarbg-HDR-38-20255e6:[Linux][clang 16.0.0][64 bit] 10bit

These videos are all are cropped (not 3840 x 2160) and re-encoded. Also x265 command line max-luma=1023 suggest that has luma values altered...

Can you try again with untouched videos (remuxed only)?
No Xbox here, but the three files have HDR10 fallback and should play correctly (even if not optimally, the additional HDR10+ or dolby vision metadata is not used).
Black bars cropping is unlikely to have an impact on colors.

The GUI color changes reported in your second message seems to indicate that Kodi is trying to use the HDR mode. However it seems that the TV seems remains in SDR (maybe there is a TV OSD to confirm?).

As a workaround you could disable the "Adjust display HDR mode" to play in SDR with tonemapping.

A debug log wouldn't hurt to confirm what's happening from Kodi's point of view.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hey Guys

I have the same or at least a very similar issue.

Having an older Sony Bravia TV (Android TV app, no xbox) and had no issue until the latest update (Kodi 21 Omega).
  • Now every HDR 10 movie which have different aspect ratio from 1.78:1 they got a grey line/area above and below the movie and if I open the menu during a running movie then the menu has lower contrast like there would be a darker/grey opacity layer covering the whole screen.
  • When HDR 10 is just a fallback (next to DolbyVision) then looks ok. (with disabled DV manually in the settings)
  • When running DolbyVision movie it has also proper picture but very very laggy.
  • (I had the same movies working properly with the earlier release of Kodi)
Not familiar with collecting logs from the TV and I will not be rechable in the next few days but if you tell me what data you need and how to collect them then I will handle it.
@apostx wrong section of the forum. Post in the Android support subforum, this is really not the same.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi HDR not working correctly, greyed/washed out (works fine outside of Kodi)0