• 4(current)
Video playback drops back to menu after 30 seconds (approx)
Devs, do you know if this fix is going to be going into SVN yet? (No problems for me as yet) or at least whether it will go into the next release? (btw, when is the next release due?)
Vista Home Premium, Core2Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M GT, 2GB RAM
How shall we put a fix in svn if we can't reproduce it nor know the cause?
We have to find out what you all have in common because it works fine for me on XP and Vista.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
WiSo Wrote:How shall we put a fix in svn if we can't reproduce it nor know the cause?
We have to find out what you all have in common because it works fine for me on XP and Vista.

Since the fix I've used is from:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4520

I don't know anything about the origins of that ticket, but has the fix worked for the issues it was originally addressing? and will it go into SVN on the back of that?

If so, then - whether we know why the issues in this thread are occurring or not (I know - that's a very short term view) - it could be that we won't see this 30 second problem in future builds...even though a fix specifically for this problem hasn't been implemented.

Is the ImageLib.dll related to the Pure Virtual Function Call?

There seemed to be more people posting with the 30 second problem before the potential "fix" was posted in this thread. I guess it would be good if everyone that had the problem could try this fix and post back the results (maybe more have tried and not posted back to say it's fixed?.

My system specs are in my sig - if there's anything else you need to know to find the common denominator please let me know. BTW, not much else runs or is even installed on my system - I used to use iRSS, but now use EventGhost.
Unfortunately this isn't a fix but a test build to see if we can narrow down the problem. It works for some but not for other so it seems we have different problems here. As said unloading the imagelib.dll never caused any exception on my systems tested on two XP SP3 systems and one Vista SP1 32Bit system.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
WiSo Wrote:Unfortunately this isn't a fix but a test build to see if we can narrow down the problem. It works for some but not for other so it seems we have different problems here.

Oh I see - that's a shame, as whatever the test build did worked for my problem!

If there are any tests I can carry out (a script that specifically loads / unloads ImageLib.dll?) I'll be happy to revert to standard Beta 2 and provide logs.
calvinf Wrote:If there are any tests I can carry out (a script that specifically loads / unloads ImageLib.dll?) I'll be happy to revert to standard Beta 2 and provide logs.

Yes please post your findings with beta2 and the tests build (with logfile) to the ticket. This might help us to hopefully find something.
WiSo Wrote:Yes please post your findings with beta2 and the tests build (with logfile) to the ticket. This might help us to hopefully find something.

XBMC now seems to be totally crashing after approx 30 secs without the workaround, no idea why since it used to just quit back to the menu and I've changed nothing else.

Here's the log without workaround posted in this thread:
http://pastebin.com/m164b9120

And here's the log with the workaround:
http://pastebin.com/mf4b727d

Hope this helps. Let me know if any other tests will help - the sole purpose of the machine is to run XBMC, so everything else should remain constant in any tests I do.

EDIT: I previously posted extracts of a log when it was crashing back to the menu (file browser)...here's the end of one of those logs from a couple of weeks ago:
http://pastebin.com/m23da7bb3
WiSo Wrote:Yes please post your findings with beta2 and the tests build (with logfile) to the ticket. This might help us to hopefully find something.

I also just added my debug logs with the extended logging exe to the trac ticket. Hopefully the devs can find a fix for this. ATM the workaround exe works great, but of course I would like to be able to use the final Atlantis release when it becomes available.

If I understand correctly, the cause of the problem is the dll responsible for showing the fanart/poster image associated to the movie rather than the movieplayer itself?

If so, could it be that the imagelib.dll fails to unload after showing some images, but not others? I ask this because I only get this particular problem on some movies (with fanart/poster image shown), but for these movies where it occurs it does predictably so.

Could someone who reported no issues with the imagelib.dll unloading try to rename a movie so XBMC thinks it's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (one of the movies that almost always causes this problem for me) and let XBMC get the poster and fan art. Then try to play the movie a few times and see if it stops playing after 30 secs?
calvinf: Was it you that had a simple way to always reproduce this by playing a certain file? If so, have you distributed said file for others to test with?

RickDeckard Wrote:If I understand correctly, the cause of the problem is the dll responsible for showing the fanart/poster image associated to the movie rather than the movieplayer itself?

Rick, I think you and I should rename a problem video file and NOT get IMDB info, then try to play back. Then do an IMDB lookup and try to play back once again? I'll try this myself tomorrow.

Further to your post, the obvious question to you is, if you rename your Indiana Jones file to something else ("Video" for example) does the problem still occur? Is Indiana Jones HD / SD, locally stored / SMB, XviD / DVD / MKV, do you have any similar files (eg same res / bitrate / residing in same folder) that reliably DO NOT cause crashing? I have no idea if these questions are relevant to our problem, but might help the devs in narrowing down.

jmarshall: I simply use the same file to test every time, but that's only because I tried it so many times that I know where I expect it to crash without watching the timer! To be honest, it reliably happens with any of the HD files I play back (all locally stored) and also happens to SD content over SMB. I haven't distributed it (not sure what the copyright issues might be) - is there a mechanism for this in trac or somewhere else?

EDIT: Just reading through the trac ticket referenced earlier in this thread (http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4520) I'd like to point out that I was experiencing problems with IMDB scraping, but ended up scanning bits of my library in at a time (to prevent losing too much upon crashing / freezing). I did start a thread about this at the time, but unfortunately there didn't seem to be many others in the same boat at that time. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think I've scanned entire folders on an automated scan since without problems. I've never had problems just calling "info" on movies without plots / cover art - purely with the initial automated scan, after doing "set content".
Brand new Dell hybrid, with Vist Prof Home.
Installed XMBC, worked fine. Installed Aeon + Horizon.
Big problems with getting library to work on TVshows or else works fine.

Could not find any episodes etc. After fiddeling aroud for a long time libary seem to get along.

Everything worked fine until library came along. Nothing else is changed on the machine.

Now, I cannot play MVK x264 or HDTV material. It hangs after about 30 -60 secs. This is for every file that has HDcontent. Can reproduce if needed.

-- UPDATE ---

im thinking this has *something* to do with a corrupt library...

Manually deleted the databasefiles.
Now all previous problem files works fine.

Allthough, i dont have a library anymore... :p
benjammin_72 Wrote:im thinking this has *something* to do with a corrupt library...

Manually deleted the databasefiles.
Now all previous problem files works fine.

Allthough, i dont have a library anymore... :p

I've cleared all my user data out a couple of times and installed XBMC from scratch, re-scanning library, but since Beta 1 this problem kept coming back. When I did have problems with automated scan, it wouldn't always freeze on the same file either.

Have you tried the workaround in trac? It definitely seems to have worked for some of us.
I guess I'm not to bright since i did not understand how to use the workaround.

Its a an xbmc.exe file and a diff. file, but just replacing the xbmc.exe just gives me a windows runtime error and the program wont even start... Undecided

Please enlighten.. :-)
Just to be clear:

This has nothing to do with scanning or the library. It merely crops up more in library view as you have fanart and the like which ensures the imagelib is loaded at the time you start playing videos.

Did you guys tried the attached Exe in the post?
It completely resolved the problem for me!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback drops back to menu after 30 seconds (approx)0