• 11(current)
Jittery Video?
VDRfan Wrote:This is a already known issue. NO need to find all related posts and quote them ..
Is there a thread where possible solutions are discussed? I would like to have some insights on why this is a problem on XBMC and not with the DirectShow players. Just curiosity, frankly. Smile
Would allowing XBMC to use other codecs "fix" the issue? Does that offload the decoding?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:Would allowing XBMC to use other codecs "fix" the issue? Does that offload the decoding?
It probably would, but it would be against the whole philosophy of the project, I guess.
I wouldn't call supporting any codec the user has on his system as being against the philosophy. If it is deemed to be then the philosophy needs to change.
Its always nice to hear what people think about what is good for us.
Please note we do this because we have fun with it and therefore we do that what we want first.
Of course we're interested what the users think but please be aware that this isn't a commercial product where you can complain about.
XBMC has it's root on the Xbox and now we're trying to keep it portable. This isn't always the best solution but the only possible for a project which has a lack of developers. Every OS dependent code will only be improved or fixed by the OS developer whereas the portable stuff is fixed by all.
So to come back to the topic we decide about our philosophy and not you!
There might be a day we support external codecs but then it must fit into the concept. If anyone is willing to code it please provide us a patch.
DirectShow belongs to directX which we don't use. XBMC uses OpenGL and therefore you should only compare it to players using the same abstraction layer-
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The biggest problem is that opengl drivers on windows are very often far from as good as d3d/dshow ones now a day.

Also one thing to note. VSYNC pretty much NEVER works in windowed mode opengl on windows.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

WiSo,
(me not being an expert here)
I'm not sure that being "portable" and using Windows codec would be mutually exclusive?
Could there be an option to use Windows Dshow (or not to), if available?

elupus,
If the Win OpenGL drivers are kinda crappy, to me it seems that using code native in Windows would make sense? (I think dshow is native?)

... so, in all, if Dshow is native in Windows then XBMC would still be "portable" and we could have smooth video, I'd guess.

I'm sure hoping a windows dev takes this on... since the main point for many of us is video playback, I think leveraging what is in windows is the best option... and if a new-fangled fancy codec comes out it could be leveraged too.

just my $.02
WiSo Wrote:So to come back to the topic we decide about our philosophy and not you!
I think you got it but I wish to stress that this was exactly my point when I mentioned philosophy. Big Grin
Using directx for the windows build changes a lot of the graphics code and we would be separated from the other builds.
Agreed that we might have the better experiences with it since the driver are better but this would be a huge change which we don't have the time atm.
Livin Wrote:(me not being an expert here)

i'm not trying to be offensive, but that sums up the rest of your post...
eriksmith200 Wrote:i'm not trying to be offensive, but that sums up the rest of your post...

so you must just be offensive without trying then... says a lot for your character.

you are a noob with only 22 posts in 3 years... try to be less of a jerk, at least until you have 10 posts per year under your belt. Rolleyes
Livin Wrote:so you must just be offensive without trying then... says a lot for your character.

you are a noob with only 22 posts in 3 years... try to be less of a jerk, at least until you have 10 posts per year under your belt. Rolleyes

well sorry for being offensive then Shocked
lol @ comparing post counts, yours is bigger then Tongue

but your post still didn't make any sense at all, and does not help the devs in any way... but hey you have a bigger post count so you probably know better. can we stop arguing now?
WiSo, I understand where you are coming from. This is a project that alot of people work on for fun and for free and I can see why you wouldn't want people telling you how to do what you do.

But on saying that I don't see the unity and portability of any cross platform application as more important than the performance and usability on any single platform.

Going forward XBMC can't survive as an Xbox only software. There are less and less Original Xbox units and the user base is never going to grow because there are no new units. It can only shrink as units die. Its Linux and Windows that are going to be the future of XBMC. More so Windows with its infinately bigger user base.

If OGL drivers suck in Windows to the point the video playback isn't smooth in XBMC then there isn't an option but to look at other solutions. Well other than scrap a Windows version.

But I hope there is a quicker and easier fix than that and I agree people should speak here with more respect and recognise that these guys volunteer their time and skills for all our benefit.
greetings to all Cool
i think i just have found a solution for jittery video, been playing with xbmc for two days and everything was perfect except that. try increasing the cache size in options it worked for me, just watched hulk 1080p and it was buttery smooth Big Grin my hardware is in sig, latest ati driveres etc... going to donate, great peace of software...
Xbmcbuntu
Let us know what cache sizes you adjusted and to what new size. Thanks.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery Video?1