• 15(current)
Jittery Video?
LolitaRainking,

Provide a small sample and your configuration so the devs can see it. Without devs being able to reproduce, it is hard to fix right?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I just installed the latext XBMC for Mac and the jitter was gone. I guess last time I tried it was back when ffmpeg wasn't multi-threaded in XBMC.

So, now it works on Mac as well. But why should it work better on MacOS? They can't have a better OpenGL-implementation, could they? I thought Apple focused all their energy on CoreGraphics. Shouldn't Linux at least run better?

Very strange. I've tried the Linux-version with both a Radeon HD4870 and a Nvidia nForce 730i-chipset (it has 7100 in it, I think) with the jitter-problem on both.
What are your vsync settings on linux (both in nvidia control panel and in XBMC).

You are providing information, but no settings or configuration settings.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
@LolitaRainking-> Are you also running latest release under Linux?
tslayer Wrote:What are your vsync settings on linux (both in nvidia control panel and in XBMC).

You are providing information, but no settings or configuration settings.

I know. Working as developer my self I know I'm a "bad user" right now. Okey, here's the setup for my HTPC:

C2D E6400 (2.13ghz), Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H (Chipset: nForce 630i, Graphics: Geforce 7100), 2gb PC6400. The motherboard has an HDMI-out that I use to connect it to an Samsung 40" A6-lcd (1920x1080).

When I ran Intrepid Ibex (8.10) I installed the latest nvidia-driver and then forced vsync in the Nvidia control panel (there where a couple of occurances scattered in the control panel, but I ticked them all). When running XBMC I tried setting vsync to off, on and use settings from driver. All gave the jitters.

The same hardware running XP with newest drivers gave the exact same result. As did running both Linux and Vista on a C2D E8500 (3,16ghz), Asus P5B (Intel P965), 4gb PC6400 and a Radeon HD4870 with latest drivers.

Then I tried installing the latest XBMC on my MacBook Pro (2,4ghz penryn, GeForce 8600M GT, 4GB PC6700) and voilá! It worked.

Most of my test-files are in the, hm, legal gray-zone - but you can try this movie (gives the same result) http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/bbc-blue.html.

I can get you more details if you need. No more Linux, though. I reinstalled the HTPC with XP since I couldn't get the audio working with HDMI, and my Ubuntu Live-stick died a tragic death yesterday. I can't even repartition it.
davilla Wrote:@LolitaRainking-> Are you also running latest release under Linux?

Yes, the gold-version released yesterday.
Maybe it is the onboard video. Not sure. I have an 8600GT and it is great in linux.

Yeah, it's probably something with the hardware. Strange that the same problem appears with both the radeon and the integrated Geforce 7100. It must have been a lot easier on the xbox. There weren't all that many different hardware combinations... Well, I'll have to live with mediaportal on the htpc for awhile then. Too bad. It's not all that good. Pretty ugly and hard to use. Guess the girlfriend will have to stick with the xbox for the time being.
@ LolitaRainking.

Im using that same motherboard with the onboard hdmi with a E8400 in linux and also suffered from video problems @ 1080p. My problem was when the resolution in xbmc was set to 1920x1080 (fullscreen) it was somehow locked at 30hz which caused a huge amount of judder. I fixed this by setting xbmc to 1080i 16:9 (its still 1080p from xorg.conf), then restarted xbmc. After sorting out the video calibration in settings all is good. smooth playback and no dropped frames anywhere. You can check if you have the same problem by hitting the power button on the home screen then go to system info.Look at the screen resolution and see what hz you are getting. Its worth a shot anyway.

hope some of this helps

cheers.
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:@ LolitaRainking.

Im using that same motherboard with the onboard hdmi with a E8400 in linux and also suffered from video problems @ 1080p. My problem was when the resolution in xbmc was set to 1920x1080 (fullscreen) it was somehow locked at 30hz which caused a huge amount of judder. I fixed this by setting xbmc to 1080i 16:9 (its still 1080p from xorg.conf), then restarted xbmc. After sorting out the video calibration in settings all is good. smooth playback and no dropped frames anywhere. You can check if you have the same problem by hitting the power button on the home screen then go to system info.Look at the screen resolution and see what hz you are getting. Its worth a shot anyway.

hope some of this helps

cheers.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that as soon as I get myself a new usb-stick. I just reinstalled XP with MediaPortal on the HTPC, so I'm not very keen on going through all the hassle again.

The HTPC's like a MacBook Air - it hasn't got a DVD. I just figured who needs one, so now I install everything via usb which was fine until my 4gb stick got murdered by ubuntu yesterday.

If wasn't so lazy I'd just use the MacBook when watching videos - I've installed cables and everything - but I want to use my HTPC!
I read a lot of things here talking about graphic cards, refresh rate all of this implying this could be hardware related, well it's not or at least not for me, keeping same settings and same sample, video is just bad on XBMC and fine in VLC, this is purely a software problem due to the inability of XBMC to render a steady frame rate, just press *O* and see how the frame rate can vary easily from 23.5 to 24.5.

A very good test is Wall-e first chapter, around the one minute mark, this is the first time we see Wall-e in the movie, shot start with a camera move from left to right filming from the sky and in the end you see Wall-e running in the bottom right corner, look closely at this shot, focus on the lamp right in the middle of the shot when camera is moving left-->right i can see clearly judder here, while not perfect in VLC it's much better
@ m0gwai

Could you provide a sample of this clip? I dont have a copy of this movie and would like to test.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:@ m0gwai

Could you provide a sample of this clip? I dont have a copy of this movie and would like to test.

cheers

it's copyrighted material, I'm not so sure I can upload a sample, legally that is... will have a look.
m0gwai Wrote:it's copyrighted material, I'm not so sure I can upload a sample, legally that is... will have a look.

I think you will be ok.
ashlar Wrote:If you have different refresh rate on the desktop it switches between that and 60Hz. Sad
Is there a switch to start in windowed mode? The -fs is for fullscreen, I guess, what's -p for?
Any answer to this? Or it suffice to omit the -fs?
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jittery Video?1