Best way to rip a TV DVD series for XBMC without recompression
So I really want to rip all of my TV DVD series without recompressing them. I understand that I can save a lot of space and what not but I don't want to recompress. In my opinion it takes long enough to rip a 6 Disc box set without then having to recompress it.

First, I tried just ripping the DVD's as .ISO and naming them so the scrapper would properly add them to the library (i.e. Lost - s*e* - s*e*.iso). The downside to this method is that you don't get individual episode thumbs and selecting the file starts up the DVD menu for the disc containing the episode rather than just starting the desired episode.

Second, I tried using the this guide minus the second part, using AGK to recompress each episode. The included DDMFR.bat file included in the aforementioned guide works very well at ripping each episode off of a DVD disk leaving you with a file structure like this:

Lost Series 01/Lost S01e*/

in each episode folder: VTS_*_*.IFO and VTS_*_PGC_*_*.VOB

My problem with this setup is that XBMC (or any other DVD playback software) doesn't seem to be able to make use of the .IFO file that is created through this process leaving you with a watchable .VOB file except that XBMC doesn't know how long it is and the loss of chapters.

In summation, my ultimate goal is to find a way to rip TV DVD series so that I don't have to recompress them but still take full advantage of XBMC TV library mode.

If anyone has advice or help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
MacTheRipper on OS X is pretty good at ripping DVD's, you can split them up into individual titles that play without menus. If you named them appropriately they should get individual thumbnails and whatnot.

For Windows, I believe DVDShrink does the same thing, though don't take my word for it, I'm a Machead.

EDIT: Wow. I didn't see this was in the linux forum. Neither of my answers will help you out. Check out K9Copy, it should do what you want.
Thanks for the response. I actually have access to a mac and windows so your response is very helpful.
See:
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=79
and:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows_(Video_Library)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to rip a TV DVD series for XBMC without recompression0