• 4(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC
For those of you who can't be bothered with vi (like me) or want to use it but are struggling, you can use nano instead. It's much more intuitive, allows you to navigate using arrow keys....

it's the notepad of linux.

eg: sudo nano filenameandpath
Thanks for that howto !!!

Maybe you could add that infomation to the wiki article doiing the same (but not working correctly due to an error in the xbmc-live script)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

Installation of Ubuntu Jaunty Mini-CD:

When asked use GRUB Legacy instead of GRUB2
(there are more Infos and Howtos (i.e. DualBoot) available)
sudo apt-get install usplash-theme-xbmc-*
sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
sudo update-initramfs -u

NVIDIA Driver installation -generation of a xorg.conf file:

Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate

Check available resolutions for upsplash (after graphicdriver installation):

Code:
sudo apt-get install hwinfo

hwinfo --framebuffer

And i would suggest to follow the "testing of the xserver" section before adding autostart and autologin
like done here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#Te...on_of_XBMC

another tip for beginners would be to install mc:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mc

Midnight Commander is a text-mode full-screen file manager and included editor.

greetz
joe
Thank you!

And now I even have sound over HDMI working. YEY!
Is it possible to install a lvm using the minimal cd?

The main reason why I haven't used XBMC Live is because there wasn't a ways to change partitioning at all. LVM is very handy for people without NAS.
there is an option for lvm creation within the installer.
Wow thanks a bunch for the howto - worked easily for me (noob Laugh)

All I added on for mine was Samba and Lirc and usbmount.
I'm fairly new to Linux. I was following your how-to when I came upon a problem at this step in the ATI driver install:

5. Install the binary drivers:
Code:

sudo dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source_jaunty.deb

It gives this error in the command line box when I do that step:

dpkg: error processing fglrx-kernel-source_jaunty.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory

This may be a simple problem but I do not know or cannot find information on how to fix it. I'm setting up XBMC on a fresh build using a M3A78-EM board, a 2 GHz X2, 2GB ram with the OS intalled on a 1.5 TB drive (20 GB partition).

Thanks for any help.
piccolo0u812 Wrote:sudo dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source_jaunty.deb

I may have solved my own problem. I noticed when compiling, it created files named similarly to what I was looking for, so I put those file names in the place of fglrx-kernel-source_jaunty.deb and it did something. The video seems to have improved and I'm moving forward with installing xbmc. Feel free to let me know if what I've done is not correct.

Great info in this post btw, very excited about getting it working!
Three things...

1. THANKS!
2. "sudo apt-get install xbmc-scripts" should be changed to "sudo apt-get install xbmc-scripts-*"
3. What about the nVidia ION Chipset and HDMI audio drivers available at nVidia's site. Don't they need to be installed or?
There aren't Linux Drivers for HDMI Audio on the Nvidia website so I'm guessing they aren't needed as Ubuntu already has them anyway.
In order to get Audio over HDMI be sure to set the audio output device and passthrough output device to '[COLOR="black"]hdmi' (no quotes) in the System/Audio Hardware Settings in XBMC[/COLOR]

You will also want to perform the following steps from the command line:

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

Insert the following and save to /etc/asound.conf:

Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }
}

That should do it for the sound...I don't know if you need to reboot but it wouldn't hurt. Make sure you shutdown XBMC prior to rebooting or reboot from within XBMC.

I noticed that by default CPU and GPU temperatures do not show up in XBMC. I found documentation on how to get this working. First you need to install a couple things:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

Then you need to perform the following steps from the command line:

sudo sensors-detect

There will be a lot of questions here, but you can answer by "enter" key to all of them except the last question which is "Do you want to add these lines automatically?" At here, you have to type "yes", then enter...Once that completes there is one more thing to do while still in the command line:

sudo nano ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Insert the following and save to ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<cputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/Core 1: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
</advancedsettings>

You'll then need to reboot. Make sure you shutdown XBMC prior to rebooting or reboot from within XBMC. When the system comes back up you can check that the sensors are working via XBMC under Info or via the command line by performing the following:

sensors -u

That's what I've got to add...please let me know if you have any questions regarding this
nmiller, thanks for trying to help. However your suggestions for sound does not make any difference on my ASRock ION 330. The only time I heard some sound was with the XBMC Live CD however that was only the two front speakers- the rest was silent (and no downmixing was not enabled and I could not hear voices (center))

Code:
┌─────────────────────────────────────────────[AlsaMixer v1.0.20 (Press Escape to quit)]─────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA NVidia                                                                                                                   │
│ Chip: Nvidia MCP7A HDMI                                                                                                            │
│ View:  Playback  Capture [All]                                                                                                     │
│ Item: Master Front [dB gain=12.00, 12.00]                                                                                          │
│    ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐                                          ┌──┐     ┌──┐              │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │  │      │  │     │  │     │  │                                          │  │     │  │              │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │  │      │  │     │  │     │  │                                          │  │     │  │              │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │  │      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                          │  │     │  │              │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │  │      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                          │  │     │  │              │
│    ├──┤     └──┘     ├──┤     └──┘      ├──┤     ├──┤     └──┘     ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     └──┘     └──┘   Stereo M   │
│    │OO│              │OO│               │MO│     │MM│              │OO│     │OO│      │OO│     │OO│                                │
│    └──┘              └──┘               └──┘     └──┘              └──┘     └──┘      └──┘     └──┘    L    R   L    R             │
│                                                                                                        CAPTUR   CAPTUR             │
│  100<>100 100<>100 100<>100   0<>0     10<>10    0<>0     0<>0                                          0<>0     0<>0              │
│ <Master F>  PCM     Front   Front Mi    Line     Mic    Mic Boos  IEC958  IEC958 D  IEC958 1 IEC958 2 Capture  Capture  Input So   │
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

Like you can see in my other posts, I can run the speaker test fine but nothing is heard no matter what.

Regarding the sensor stuff, that doesn't work either:

sudo sensors-detect ->

Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported.

Tnx
nmiller Wrote:sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

Insert the following and save to /etc/asound.conf:

Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }
}

That should do it for the sound...I don't know if you need to reboot but it wouldn't hurt. Make sure you shutdown XBMC prior to rebooting or reboot from within XBMC.

It appears this did the trick after all. Second time I rebooted, I suddenly had sound in menu and when playing back movies. Amp says MultiCH and I can see all 6 channels which was in the movie Smile

Amazing. Now I just need to figure out how to get proper image. I tried fixing modelines but hasn't worked out.
Image is jerky even with VDPAU and audio a little out of sync.
I'm waiting for my new plasma to arrive shortly then I will give the picture a go again. Pioneer LCD is just such a piece of crap.

One thing I noticed though, was then I fast forwarded, XBMC stops emitting sound which causes the Amp to click. It would be nice if XBMC just outputted silence while fast forwarding so that app would stay "tuned" in to the multi ch. I might have to trac this one I guess.
ultrabrutal Wrote:It appears this did the trick after all. Second time I rebooted, I suddenly had sound in menu and when playing back movies. Amp says MultiCH and I can see all 6 channels which was in the movie Smile

Amazing. Now I just need to figure out how to get proper image. I tried fixing modelines but hasn't worked out.
Image is jerky even with VDPAU and audio a little out of sync.
I'm waiting for my new plasma to arrive shortly then I will give the picture a go again. Pioneer LCD is just such a piece of crap.

One thing I noticed though, was then I fast forwarded, XBMC stops emitting sound which causes the Amp to click. It would be nice if XBMC just outputted silence while fast forwarding so that app would stay "tuned" in to the multi ch. I might have to trac this one I guess.

Good to hear! Glad you got it going...I haven't seen the jerky image so I don't know if I can help you that much. I can definitely try to recreate what you're doing, if possible. I've noticed the Receiver clicking or losing signal as well...it is a bummer that it does this. I also noticed it in the menu sounds as well that sometimes the Receiver doesn't get the signal fast enough to transmit the clicks between some menu items...but if I keep moving around constantly in the menu the Receiver never loses signal and then it works fine. For me that was tolerable as long as everything else works fine. One thing I did notice is that when playing some trailers I get a "Failed to initialize device" message and no sound...still working on figuring that one out.

I'm really a linux noob. I've been a PC guy for ages, am a IT Network/Security Engineer by trade and have had to touch on linux here and there but never anything too advanced. Most of my stuff I've figured out has been due to hours and hours of reading and research in multiple forums and a lucky guess or two...if it wasn't for others posting their success and knowledge I'd probably still be at step 10 out of 50 Smile
Great Guide, Going to try it this weds!

THANKS!!
HTPC SPECS:Samsung Series 850 58" PDP
[email protected] (full Screen)
XBMCLive : 10.00
HDD: 500GB WD Blue MOBO:P5n7a-VM
GPU: Geforce 9300/nforce 730i/PCI/SSE2
MEMORY: 2 GIG 1066MHZ DDR3 (single)
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal Ubuntu Jaunty install with XBMC6