XBMC, Vista and PS3.
Hi all. I just stumbled across your product a couple of days ago and must say I am very impressed! I have some questions and hopefully someone is willing to help. I do not own an Xbox nor do I plan on it but I am in love with the feature set in XMBC.

I have installed XMBC on my Windows Vista 64 pc and have it up and running (somewhat). I would love to stream videos to my PS3 over my network and I am having issues at this time, I see the folder strycture but get "Unsupported Data". I have ripped alot of my DVD's (both in mkv and vob formats) to an external drive on my pc so I can share across my network with other Upnp devices.

The questions are as follows:
1. Can I stream to my PS3? Is XMBC DNLA compliant?
2. Is it at all possible to view library mode on my PS3 so I can view the information from IMDB of each video?

Thanks for any info help on this.

Bob
I'm not exactly sure what your setup is, but it sounds like you want to stream from your Vista machine to your PS3? XBMC will not help you with that. XBMC is intended to be a media front-end that is hooked up directly to your TV. You are attempting to use your PS3 as your front end, and XBMC cannot be installed onto a PS3 at this time (maybe never).

If you have an old computer or decide to pick up a used Xbox for cheap, then you can install XBMC on it, and XBMC has the ability to view media from a samba server (such as your Vista machine) over your network.

For streaming to a PS3, I have had some success using Tversity. There are many guides for that if you google around. You basically install Tversity on your Vista machine, and the PS3 should detect it as a media server. Alternatively, Windows has built in functionality for this as well with Windows Media Player.

If I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do, let me know and I or someone more knowledgeable will try to help.
XBMC has a upnp server built in, and thus should be able to act as a server for the PS3.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Why compromise buy an Xbox! Smile

You wont regret that 20 quid!
Yes, this is possible. Someone in another thread (maybe another forum) mentioned they were using xbmc to streame mediafiles to ps3.
the xbox does not do hd.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
Thx for all the replies.

onesojourner - I agree.

Deepsearch - Any possibility that you can remember which forum? I can see XMBC on my PS3 but files show as "Unsupported Data" and yet they are in a format (vob) that the PS3 can play. Thx!
onesojourner Wrote:the xbox does not do hd.

Think I knew that... just light hearted banter.... xbox doesnt cost 300-400 pounds ether.... and will play VOB files extreemly well. Rolleyes
Geeba Wrote:Think I knew that... just light hearted banter.... xbox doesnt cost 300-400 pounds ether.... and will play VOB files extreemly well. Rolleyes

Maybe so but I have a dedicated HT with a 10' wide screen and have full HD capabilities so hence to need to use my PS3 instead of the Xbox.
Dark_Wizard Wrote:Maybe so but I have a dedicated HT with a 10' wide screen and have full HD capabilities so hence to need to use my PS3 instead of the Xbox.

Sweet... but are you aware that the Xbox will output 720p with ease (via component output) and upscale all your DVD rip as good as (probably better) than the ps3 will without jumping through hoops? As well as Youtube, Apple movie trailers and the footie results.. it will only let you down on native HD resolutions.... just a thought as I notice you were new to the forum.

Funny enough just last weekend I was using the Xbox at 720p in portugal at an exibition on a screen somewhat larger than 10' I'll dig out some pictures.... it looked fantastic and not one person walked past it without remarking Nod
Dark_Wizard Wrote:Thx for all the replies.

onesojourner - I agree.

Deepsearch - Any possibility that you can remember which forum? I can see XBMC on my PS3 but files show as "Unsupported Data" and yet they are in a format (vob) that the PS3 can play. Thx!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=234030
Hate to dig an old article up but I am having similar issues and dont want to start a new thread since one already exists.

In the past I was stream Upnp from my Windows 7 box to my PS3 using Media player. I wanted to switch to a linux box as my Win 7 is my gaming rig. So I picked up an old HP and installed Natty on it and then XBMC. I setup the Upnp and my PS3 can access it just fine.

Now the issue I am having with Natty and XBMC is that 98% of my movies are now showing up as "Unsupported Data". This was not an issue when streaming from my Win 7 box using Media Player.

Any suggestions on what to do? I would hate to go back to Microsoft as I am not a big fan.
XBMC Upnp isn't brilliant for the PS3, in that it doesn't transcode unsupported formats to compatible formats on the PS3 which is probably why you keep getting the unsupported data messages.

I use PS3 MediaServer for this which works a treat.
I shall give that a try. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC, Vista and PS3.0