Fullscreen garbled in Ubuntu 8.04
Hi all. A very nervous first time poster here. Hope I get all this right.

The issue is that I get a garbled screen when I put XBMC into fullscreen using the \ key. By default, XBMC starts in windowed mode and using the -fs flag on the command line starts it in windowed mode as well. When I saw "garbled" I mean that the entire screen is unreadable. When I switch back to windowed mode using the \ key, everything is back to normal. I wish I could send a screenshot, but unfortunately the screen shots I've taken all look normal, meaning not garbled in any way.

I've searched and searched the forums but can't seem to find anyone with the same issue. This is my last hurdle to overcome, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:

Ubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-19-generic)
PPA build as of 10/29/08
XBMC SVN:15810 (complied: Oct 6 2008)
i686
GPU: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
OpenGL Version: 2.1
Full debug log at http://pastebin.com/m6c3b60bf

Other info:

- I have tried both PM3.HD and MediaStream skins with the same result.
- I am using ATI drivers obtained from ati.com (filename ati-driver-installer-8-10-x86.x86_64). I installed Ubuntu 8.04, did NOT perform any of the updates, installed the ATI drivers, installed XBMC from PPA, disabled Desktop Effect, rebooted.
- I have Desktop Effect disabled.
- In windowed mode, everything works perfectly, meaning audio/video playback, etc.
- Using a VGA connection to an LCD monitor, I've tried setting XBMC to Auto resolution as well as set it to the same resolution as my desktop (1280 x 1024), all with the same resulting garbled screen in fullscreen mode.
- I've also plugged my machine into a 1080p capable LCD projector via the onboard HDMI cable on my motherboard. This time when I started XBMC, it did indeed start in fullscreen mode. But, it was still garbled. My desktop resolution at this point was 1920 x 1080.
- Another interesting scenario came after I followed the "How to auto start on Ubuntu" guide found at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...auto+start. When my machine booted into Ubuntu, it put XBMC in the upper left corner of the screen. The entire XBMC interface is shown, but in only the upper quarter of the screen.

OK. I hope that's enough information to start. I apologize heavily in advance if this issue was resolved in another post. I suspect an issue with the ATI drivers as that appears to be a common theme.

Thanks in advance.
are you grabbing a screen shot through ubuntu or xbmc?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Does it look like this ?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39717
Thanks for your responses guys.

Malloc. I was trying to do a capture from XBMC rather than Ubuntu. Maybe that was why it wasn't working.

Hotzenpl0tz. Funny you should paste that link! Rather than getting a screenshot of my own, I was going to just link to yours as this is exactly what I see. Did you ever resolve your issue?

All that said, I did end up solving my issue. Here's what I had to do though:

- Installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 8.04 and did not do any of the systems updates.
- Installed the EnvyNB ATI drivers from http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
- Disabled desktop effects (Preferences | Appearance)
- Installed PPA version of XBMC
- Set the screen resolution of XBMC to my desktop resolution, 1280x1024 at the time, it came up and was not garbled.
- When I ran XBMC and played a video, I did notice the issue where video plays only in the upper left corner and the rest of the image was "'ghosting". So I had to implement the glrectanglehack
- After all this, I saw tearing of the video. But after setting vsync in XBMC to "Only during video playback", all was well.

So, my fullscreen issue is resolved. I think I owe it to the EnvyNB site.

However....there is some bad news. I am experiencing an issue when I stop video playback using the X key. I've read about this issue in other threads, so I'm not going into depth. But when I stop video using X, the entire XBMC interface become blocky and unreadable. However, going back (hitting ESC) then hitting X works fine. This happens in the default skin as well as MediaStream. Thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fullscreen garbled in Ubuntu 8.040