PCM digital audio woes
Hello all,

I'm stuck getting PCM digital audio out of a new XBMC build. I've done a clean Mythbuntu Intrepid install, followed by a the XBMX PPA. I'm using an IEC958 optical connection to my home stereo. Bitstream works great, but I have problems with .avi and .mp3 files. I can get PCM audio out of Mplayer and Myth (after setting up an asound.conf file). XBMC seems to be the problem. The weird thing is that my stereo shows that it's receiving PCM 48k, but there's no sound even though the file seems to be playing.

I'm sure it's just something I'm missing, not a bug. I've got the audio out set at default. I tried IEC958 but mp3s don't play and the log shows an alsa broken pipe message. 'default' is correct for dmix-digital per my asound.conf, so it should work. Again, pass-through works just fine, as does PCM from any other application.

To answer in advance some of what I've seen in searching the forums - yes, I've unmuted IEC958 in alsamixer. Yes, I've got a working asound.conf. No, pulse audio is not installed. Yes, I've searched the forums - extensively. I'll happily fill out a bug form if it turns out to be such, but I'm fairly certain the issue is on my end.

Anyone have suggestions?
Try blacklisting any snd_*_oss kernel modules.
That did it!

To be precise, I entered:

Code:
blacklist snd_pcm_oss
blacklist snd_mixer_oss
blacklist snd_seq_oss

in my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file. Works like a charm!

Thanks!
Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PCM digital audio woes0