Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
Thought I would report back. I've assembled the setup and apart from some small oopses I'm quite happy (oops 1. didn't install AHCI driver when installing XP so I had to reinstall again and oops 2. never had the "problem" with the 3gb-limit in windows 32-bit I'm right now stuck with Smile)

Im very happy of the noise level and temperature of the setup. Using the stock HSF from my E6400 (twice the size, copper core compared to the stock E7300 HSF) it runs a nice ~42C in idle and ~58C when loaded (cpu-burn x 2) with a little ramp-up by the mobo. The only other fan in the box is the PSU 120mm running at 7V. Definately the quietest computer I ever owned and it will also be hidden behind the TV bench!

Oh, the famous KillaSample then, well, on stock 2.66ghz it drops 13 frames but this seems vary depending on when I press the "o"-button to bring down the info. Overclocked to 3.00ghz it drops 7 frames.. but this seems to be the case with everything I play, say Wall-E 1080p (~12mbit) always drops 20 frames at the start but not anymore after that.

Haven't tried digital out yet, but Im not worried.

So right now Im quite happy, hoping the jitter-problem will be fixed soon so I can watch smooth panos on the 24p-capable 50" panasonic plasma I order today Smile
you're using the stock onboard graphics? what resolution are you outputing? I drop a ton of frames when outputing 1080p with the killa sample and stock video card.
timdog82001 Wrote:you're using the stock onboard graphics? what resolution are you outputing? I drop a ton of frames when outputing 1080p with the killa sample and stock video card.
Yes, this is using the onboard gfx (nvidia 7100) and running full screen vga 1680x1050.
TheJaff2 Wrote:Oh, the famous KillaSample then, well, on stock 2.66ghz it drops 13 frames but this seems vary depending on when I press the "o"-button to bring down the info.

where did you DL the KillaSample?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Google "killer_sample.mkv"
TheJaff2 Wrote:Google "killer_sample.mkv"

... comes up with nothing

pls post a link
Ok, maybe only on google.se.

Anyway, http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/killer_sample.mkv
thank you.
Thought I would post some power readings I just did on my box. Has more to do with the whole system than just the motherboard though

AOpen 350W PSU
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
E7300 @ 2.66GHz with speedstep ON (clock at 1.6GHz at idle)
4Gb Corsair PC6400
WD 1Tb Green Power
Res: 1280x720

These are the power readings from the wall socket:

Idle at windows desktop: 52W
XBMC at start page (vsync: driver select): 59W
Playing Wall-E 1080p: 64W
Playing KillaSample: 74W
Just curious, cause I have the same board. How is 1080p with that E7300 processor? I'm currently using a P4 @ 3.0 Ghz an all 1080p stutters. The KillaSample only plays at 8-9 fps. I'm in the market for an upgrade processor so I'd really like to know youe 1080p results. All 720p content plays fine on mine right now.

Keith
keithskaggs Wrote:Just curious, cause I have the same board. How is 1080p with that E7300 processor? I'm currently using a P4 @ 3.0 Ghz an all 1080p stutters. The KillaSample only plays at 8-9 fps. I'm in the market for an upgrade processor so I'd really like to know youe 1080p results. All 720p content plays fine on mine right now.

Keith
From page 2 in this thread:

TheJaff2 Wrote:Oh, the famous KillaSample then, well, on stock 2.66ghz it drops 13 frames but this seems vary depending on when I press the "o"-button to bring down the info. Overclocked to 3.00ghz it drops 7 frames.. but this seems to be the case with everything I play, say Wall-E 1080p (~12mbit) always drops 20 frames at the start but not anymore after that.
If you don't know what Killer Sample is: it's one of the toughest 1080p content your HTPC will face.
Has anyone been able to get all features on this board working in Linux?

I am particularly interested in setting up HDMI audio. This feature has proven to by quite problematic in configuring.
IS that board HDMI 1.3? I know xbmc can't do the HD audio yet but want to be ready when it does. Do any of you have a BD player and can test HDMI DTS-MA or Dolby True HD?
cold_realms Wrote:IS that board HDMI 1.3? I know xbmc can't do the HD audio yet but want to be ready when it does. Do any of you have a BD player and can test HDMI DTS-MA or Dolby True HD?
Sorry, not me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H0