Ubunt 8.10 server and XBMC, errors & issues - help
Hi All

Just built a Ubunto 8.10 headless server.

Installed xorg and set sources as:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ubuntu intrepid main

did a install xbmc, np. Envy is also installed.
Did a xinit and even though got the odd error, a x window did start- yippee.

But can I find a reference to xbmc being installed, nope. Made sure its installed, yep.

So, I tried xinit - get a x window. Type in xmbc, ok, get some output ref gnome but no screensaver.

Any ideas?

Scott
None of that rambling made a damn bit of sense. Sleep for a few hours then try again. There's a thread that covers what you're trying to do to a T with 8.04. The process will be identical for 8.10. "Headless" and "X" don't go together BTW Wink
Basically, I have been following:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32891

and had issues with xmbc. The I added the source entry as listed in post above and this allowed me to install xmbc.

All ok so far but the rest of the thread above has left me puzzled as I dont have the options.

Scott
Ok- update. When I run xinit I get:

X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-19-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux nas 2.6.27-7-server #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 07:37:55 UTC 2008 i686
Build Date: 24 October 2008 08:00:16AM
xorg-server 2:1.5.2-2ubuntu3 ([email protected])
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Nov 30 13:37:42 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

But X starts.
If I go into the .xbmc directory and run:

xbmc I get the error:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.ScreenSaver
was not provided by any .service files

Google implies overs have had the issue but no fix.

Ideas?

Scott
im not sure but try

Quote:sudo xinit xbmc

that should start x and xbmc together.
Error. It starts x and then shuts down. :

X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0

X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-19-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux nas 2.6.27-9-server #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:53:41 UTC 2008 i686
Build Date: 24 October 2008 08:00:16AM
xorg-server 2:1.5.2-2ubuntu3 ([email protected])
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Nov 30 14:20:33 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

waiting for X server to shut down
slewis1973 Wrote:(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

As you are using a server version of Ubuntu, the drivers required for OpenGL are not installed. It seems like the software renderer fails, too and so you are not able to launch OpenGL software like xbmc.

You have to install at least the package: libgl1-mesa-dri

You probably need the following packages, too:
libgl1-mesa-glx
libglu1-mesa

This should fix the errors with the shared object files. To be able to check if DRI works, you should also install the package "mesa-utils". This package contains a tool which is called "glxinfo". With this tool you can check if DRI is working.

Using the server version of ubuntu, it is always a good idea, to install the desktop kernel image, too. The desktop kernel has many more drivers for different types of hardware.

The desktop kernel image package is called "linux-image-generic".

After installing the desktop kernel, you can deinstall the server kernel, which is called "linux-image-server" and all kernel instances of it, which are called "linux-image-<version>-server". Remeber to reboot using the desktop image before deinstalling the server kernel.

Temar
Thanks for that. I already have the libgl* files you listed installed. I though also did install the linux desktop image - same issue.

This time though I made sure glxinfo was installed. Ran that and error:

Xlib: Extension "GLX" missing on display ":0,0"

and that was listed 4 times.

Could the issue be with my xcorg-conf file in relation to my ATI rage VGA card. My conf file is very bare with no vga device info in there.eg;

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"

Scott
slewis1973 Wrote:Thanks for that. I already have the libgl* files you listed installed. I though also did install the linux desktop image - same issue.

Hmm, then the names of the packages are different in ubuntu 8.10. Changing the kernel did of course make no difference for your GL problem. It is just handy to have the desktop kernel, because it is a) optimized for desktop use and b) has many more drivers in case you want to plug in some hardware.

slewis1973 Wrote:This time though I made sure glxinfo was installed. Ran that and error:

Xlib: Extension "GLX" missing on display ":0,0"

Of course you get these errors. You are missing the DRI drivers and therefore don't have OpenGL support. You really have to fix the DRI error from your last post:

Quote:(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

This is your real problem you have to find the package which contains "/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so". In Ubuntu 8.04 this is "libgl1-mesa-dri". Don't know what the package is called for ubuntu 8.10.

Quote:Could the issue be with my xcorg-conf file in relation to my ATI rage VGA card. My conf file is very bare with no vga device info in there.eg;

No, the new X server has pretty good autoconfiguration. Only in very rare cases you have to manually edit xorg.conf. You have to fix your DRI problem as stated above. Find the package with the missing drivers and install it.

EDIT:
According to http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/intrepid/i...i/filelist the package name is still the same. Are you sure you have "libgl1-mesa-dri" installed?

Temar
Yep - its installed:

root@nas:~# apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libgl1-mesa-dri is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@nas:~#

Scott
slewis1973 Wrote:Yep - its installed:

Hmm, very strange. Well, as long as you get the error message

Quote:(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

you won't be able to do any OpenGL. Check if the file "/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so" really exists and if the X server still reports the same error message. If the file exists and you still get the same error message, then you might have a severe problem with your filesystem as everybody should be allowed to access this file. You can check the filesystem's access permissions of all directories and the file itself but normally everybody should have at least "read" permissions for the file and "read & execute" permissions for the directories /usr, /usr/lib and /usr/lib/dri. If your filesystem permissions were wrong, you should get the error message "access denied" anyway, so probably the file is missing or you have a problem with your filesystem.

If the file is missing try to deinstall and reinstall the package. You can list the contents of a package with the command "dpkg -L <package>". Make sure the file really _is_ in this package. You can also download the package directly from the repository, extract the files and copy them manually.

No matter what you do, you have to get either the file "/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so" for accelerated OpenGL or "/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so" for software rendering (not recommended).

Good Luck.

Temar

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubunt 8.10 server and XBMC, errors & issues - help0