• 3(current)
Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues
good news everyone.. i think I found a combo that works quite well (for me anyways), and seems to solve most tearing issues I've had with my intel x4500HD gpus on XBMC

- Vista 32bit + Aero on
- Newest intel gfx driver 15.12.1.1608 (Dec 9/08 release)
- Regular XBMC Atlantis 8.10

its not perfect (like my nvidia machines), but its nearly there.
Dwolf, have you tried Beta 2 on Vista to see if it fixes it on Vista too?

I know on XP going back before 16051 fixes all my tearing to perfection.
HexusOdy Wrote:Dwolf, have you tried Beta 2 on Vista to see if it fixes it on Vista too?

I know on XP going back before 16051 fixes all my tearing to perfection.

Beta 2 on vista + aero + new driver also works great for me. also I can concur than on xp, older versions (pre 16051) work fine (although nothing at all after that works without significant tearing)

for the newer xbmc builds; vista + aero + newest intel driver = near perfect playback
Maybe a developer will tell us the diffrences between builds, and if this issue can be fix in the newer builds.
I also have the problems described here on xp sp3 + altantis 8.10 final .
It's kinda funny/ironic that I'm running an old beta build of XBMC instead of the official milestone release because the milestone has new bugs that weren't in the beta... LOL
mdalacu Wrote:Maybe a developer will tell us the diffrences between builds, and if this issue can be fix in the newer builds.
I also have the problems described here on xp sp3 + altantis 8.10 final .

Mdalacu, go back to Beta 2 it should fix your problems in in reality you won't experience any differenc ein features or performance. I haven't.
okay here we go.. (tech specs see my signature)

REV 16050 & ATI Catalyst 8.11 on xp

- fullscreen on tv (2nd monitor) is not possible.
- lots of tearing on tv in maximized window mode
- no tearing at all when playing video fullscreen on pc monitor.

REV 16050 & omega driver on xp

- no fullscreen on tv possible.
- lots of tearing on tv regardless of any settings made
- also tearing on pc fullscreen

REV 16051 & omega driver on xp

- fullscreen on tv possible, but reduces pc screen to same resolution. switching with \ ends up rendering the xbmc window useless on tv.
- lots of tearing on any windowed/fullscreen mode on both displays regardless of vsync and driver settings.

REV 16051 & ATI Catalyst 8.12 (!!) on xp

- fullscreen on tv possible. with settings "let driver choose" and vsync always activated on ccc there is no more tearing!

and - TATAAAH..

REV 16604 & ATI Catalyst 8.12

with "let driver choose" and vsync in cc set to "always on" no tearing at all. neither fullscreen nor windowed.

conclusion: those omega drivers made it all worse with my ati card. might be because they use an old catalyst source (7.12). the installed catalyst 8.11 behaved the way i always told, having vsync issues and so tearing.

i don't know if it just was removing the drivers from my system and install others, or if it really is something they've changed in catalyst 8.12, but
for now i have no tearing issues on win xp anymore, even with the absolute latest build (which has, as i positively noticed, the 1360x768 screen size settings again) .

Nod
cheers,azido :;):
HexusOdy Wrote:Mdalacu, go back to Beta 2 it should fix your problems in in reality you won't experience any differenc ein features or performance. I haven't.

Thanks, i will give it a try.
From another thread i found that the problem appeard when "shared surfaces" were introduced in SVN 16051. What's that, do we really need them? Smile
Azido, glad you got it sorted. AT least we have a solution for ATI now hopefully.

ATI - Install 8.12 drivers, set XBMC Vsync to "Let driver choose" and change ATI CCC to Always on for Vsync.

Intel - Requires a fix in XBMC for a bug caused in 16051.

Nvidia?

Is anyone on Nvidia actually having Vsync problems?
I will stir your peace a little. It's not that simple recipe for ATI Smile

I had no tearing with WinXP SP3 and 8.12 driver when set to Always ON in XBMC. I had problem with refreshrate not switching. I sorted it with ATI driver vsync always on and disable vsync in XBMC. Now I have no tearing, no stutter, no jitter and autoswitch of refreshrate working.

DP
HexusOdy Wrote:Mdalacu, go back to Beta 2 it should fix your problems in in reality you won't experience any differenc ein features or performance. I haven't.

But beta 2 sucks with Imon IR Wink not 8.10 Big Grin So we have to wait. Thanks for your help in my ticket HexusOdy !
I've created a ticket on Trac for this.

http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/5508

I've related it only to Intel users because this particular problem that occured in 16051 only seems to effect Intel users. Tearing in other cards like ATI seems to be a driver issue (until 8.12).
I would say it is more of a bug in the Intel drivers than XBMC, where they are apparently only respecting VSync on certain styles of windows or something. Unfortunately the problem becomes difficult to nail down when the driver isn't doing what it is supposed to, and I don't have this hardware so I can't reproduce it.

I'm going to need to know:
A) The command line you're launching xbmc.exe with. Is it -fs or without -fs.
B) What resolution you're running set from the xbmc display options screen. Please be exact here.
C) What your desktop height, width, color depth, and refresh rate are.
D) Does toggling into and out of fullscreen with \ make any difference?

Also, maybe try this version I've whipped up (IntVSync-1) which changes some of the window parameters in a way that might make the driver more happier. If it doesn't help, please answer questions A-D above and post your xbmc.log file to pastebin.
dpassent Wrote:I will stir your peace a little. It's not that simple recipe for ATI Smile

I had no tearing with WinXP SP3 and 8.12 driver when set to Always ON in XBMC. I had problem with refreshrate not switching. I sorted it with ATI driver vsync always on and disable vsync in XBMC. Now I have no tearing, no stutter, no jitter and autoswitch of refreshrate working.

DP

as a result "let driver choose" and "always off" setting in xbmc while asking ati ccc to always vsync stuff leads to the same direction: vsync job is on graphics driver side.

even better if that also fixes refresh rate issues Wink so we still should point out to hand vsync jobs to ati 8.12 and not to xbmc to get the best experience on xp.

did you try to enable/disable opengl triple buffering with any result? on mouseover it states it would enhance/stabilize fps when frame rates are lower than the actual refresh rate for games. might change behaviour for gl-rendered video, too. though i saw no difference since i have to stick on 60hz.
cheers,azido :;):
A) command line: xbmc.exe -fs -p
B) XBMC res - 1366 x 768.
C) Desktop - 1366 x 768, 32bpp, 60hz
D) Toggling won't work at that resolution for me but I have heard from other users with the exact same problem as me that \ does work
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues1