Best GPU for XBMC Live
Hi chaps,

As I'm a self confessed n00b with all things Linux, I'm having a hard time establishing which GPU / chipset has the best support under Ubuntu. Ideally I'd like something that works out of the box (wouldn't we all...).

Boards I'm considering are:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145035 and the popular http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142347

Woukld it be better to go with the Geforce 8200 or Radeon HD 3200 (780G)?

Thanks
NVIDIA GeForce 8-Series is probably best today (so anything between Geforce 8200 and 8800)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I would go with an nvidia 8000 series or above GPU. Nvidia is bringing hardware acceleration for video to Linux, even though XBMC doesn't support it yet.
Thanks chaps - most helpful. Smile
Note that not all 8-series GPUs are supported. My desktop's 8800GTS 640MB isn't supported, for example. The full list is here. Buy one of those.
as i remember in linux you need a good CPU instead of GPU, because HD-Playback is only processed by the CPU in linux?

am i right or not anymore?

i use a Q6600 core quad CPU with an i946GZ shared onboardGFX an have really good quality (SD and HD formats)
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
ringgh0st Wrote:as i remember in linux you need a good CPU instead of GPU, because HD-Playback is only processed by the CPU in linux?

am i right or not anymore?

Yes, you are still right - for the time being at least. Fast CPU has been sourced however GPU / chipset is a grey area with some having better support than others. My concern is over functionality rather than performance. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best GPU for XBMC Live0