• 46(current)
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC
Hello,

I love the pluigin, works great right out of the box. Using the stream LiveTV from an HDHomeRun via Mythbuntu.

I wanter to make a change to _findAvailableTunerWithChannel() so that I could have the channel currently streaming LiveTV be returned for the next channel selection. I added

PHP Code:
if not tuner.isRecording() or tuner.getTunerStatus() == tvState.WatchingLiveTV and tuner.hasChannel(channel): 

But I soon realized I have no idea how to debug this... I suspect I will need need to stop the stream before playing the next but I just wanted to see if this would even execute. Is there a link out there to gettign started with dubugging plugin code?

Thanks,
Devan
mazda01 Wrote:Is this too early to BUMPM after 3 days? Sorry if so. I upgraded the MythBox to 1.0.5 instead of 1.0.4 and I am still getting errors in the logs. It's like MythTV .23.1+fixes changed protocol or something. It's weird because I am getting tons of info on my recordings, mythbox shows my tuners, BUT I can't watch recordings NOR watch live tv. The live tv is not even a requirement but I thought I'd see if it worked.

So currently I am merely using mythlink script to create human readable symlinks in a folder which is shared via SMB and then in XBMC my video source points to that SMB share.

Anyone able to help me get either the myth:// protocol working again OR get this MythBox working? Thanks

Based on the logs, XBMC is having some issue connecting to 192.168.0.39:6543. Have you tried telnet'ing to that IP address and port from the Apple box just to make sure the Apple networking stack is all working as you expect. Just checking that mythbackend has that port opened probably isn't enough of a check.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
dteirney Wrote:Based on the logs, XBMC is having some issue connecting to 192.168.0.39:6543. Have you tried telnet'ing to that IP address and port from the Apple box just to make sure the Apple networking stack is all working as you expect. Just checking that mythbackend has that port opened probably isn't enough of a check.
thank you for responding! I am hoping that I can use this free hardware (apple tv) vs having to build/buy a new mythtv frontend.

If I am ssh'd into the apple tv, I enter telnet and it says "telnet: command not found" so apparently telnet isn't build into the apple tv os 3.0.2. I can talk to it from other machine, I am guessing it's the handshake the mythbox is trying to make with the backend. Can anyone else confirm or deny that mythtbox even works with Mythtv .23.1 or .24? FUnctionality desired is

-watch recordings
-delete said watched recording
-watch live (not a must but would be nice to pause live tv)

I use mythweb for most everything else like recording schedules etc etc.
mazda01 Wrote:Can anyone else confirm or deny that mythtbox even works with Mythtv .23.1 or .24? FUnctionality desired is

-watch recordings

Running mythtv 0.23.1 on Fedora, have mythbox 1.0.4 add installed on my Dharma 10.1 build of XBMC and all is fine with me:

$ rpm -q mythtv
mythtv-0.23.1-2.fc13.x86_64

Specifically this is the mythtv build information:

release-0-23-fixes branch, svn revision 25902

I can watch recordings, delete them and watch live TV all fine. Haven't tried 1.0.5.
mazda01 Wrote:thank you for responding! I am hoping that I can use this free hardware (apple tv) vs having to build/buy a new mythtv frontend.

If I am ssh'd into the apple tv, I enter telnet and it says "telnet: command not found" so apparently telnet isn't build into the apple tv os 3.0.2. I can talk to it from other machine, I am guessing it's the handshake the mythbox is trying to make with the backend. Can anyone else confirm or deny that mythtbox even works with Mythtv .23.1 or .24? FUnctionality desired is

-watch recordings

And can anyone confirm or deny that MythBox only works with 10.x, and not pre-Eden/11.x?
It works with pre-Eden. I updated to be able to use mythtv .24 for live tv. Works pretty well although I wish there was a better skin. Using pulled master branch.
Robgue Wrote:It works with pre-Eden. I updated to be able to use mythtv .24 for live tv. Works pretty well although I wish there was a better skin. Using pulled master branch.

Cool - so how do I get it? It doesn't show up on the list of addons through the XBMC UI.
It's not in the Pre-Eden add-on's yet.
You can download from here for 1.0.4 https://code.google.com/p/mythbox/downloads/list
the most recent source https://code.google.com/p/mythbox/source/checkout
devanl Wrote:Hello,

I love the pluigin, works great right out of the box. Using the stream LiveTV from an HDHomeRun via Mythbuntu.

I wanter to make a change to _findAvailableTunerWithChannel() so that I could have the channel currently streaming LiveTV be returned for the next channel selection. I added

PHP Code:
if not tuner.isRecording() or tuner.getTunerStatus() == tvState.WatchingLiveTV and tuner.hasChannel(channel): 

But I soon realized I have no idea how to debug this... I suspect I will need need to stop the stream before playing the next but I just wanted to see if this would even execute. Is there a link out there to gettign started with dubugging plugin code?

Thanks,
Devan

In case anyone else was interested:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10107 - XBMC Addon Developers Guide
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...th_Eclipse - HOW-TO:Debug Python Scripts with Eclipse
Robgue Wrote:It's not in the Pre-Eden add-on's yet.
You can download from here for 1.0.4 https://code.google.com/p/mythbox/downloads/list
the most recent source https://code.google.com/p/mythbox/source/checkout

Okay, add-on newbie here. Where do I put the content of the ZIP file?
fiveisalive Wrote:Running mythtv 0.23.1 on Fedora, have mythbox 1.0.4 add installed on my Dharma 10.1 build of XBMC and all is fine with me:

$ rpm -q mythtv
mythtv-0.23.1-2.fc13.x86_64

Specifically this is the mythtv build information:

release-0-23-fixes branch, svn revision 25902

I can watch recordings, delete them and watch live TV all fine. Haven't tried 1.0.5.
If I could pick your brain I'd love to. I just can't get it to work for whatever reason. Is there any way you could help? I had a huige post with tons of info and logs and can provide whatever you'd need to see what I missed to fix it so it plays. I really really want to make this apple tv work for my family room as it was free hardware
AbMagFab Wrote:Okay, add-on newbie here. Where do I put the content of the ZIP file?
it's a zip file you say and you're not sure how to install mythbox? If you store the zip file somewhere it's accessible by xbmc, go to the Configure the Ssytem the tab, click enter, go down to Add-Ons settings and you'll see in that list you can install add-ons "from zip file", then just navigate to where you put the zip file of mythtbox and it should install it and then it will show up as an add-on within videos, video add-ons, mythbox (and also list the version) GOod luck

I am still irritated I can't get Mythbox 1.04 OR the version from his git to talk correctly to my mythtv backend which runs 0.23.1+fixes26863-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu2
mazda01 Wrote:If I could pick your brain I'd love to. I just can't get it to work for whatever reason. Is there any way you could help? I had a huige post with tons of info and logs and can provide whatever you'd need to see what I missed to fix it so it plays. I really really want to make this apple tv work for my family room as it was free hardware

I see you are trying to access a myth server on a remote machine. My setup has both XBMC and the mythbackend on the same physical machine, so there could be some differences there. I do have the "streaming" option set within the MythBox add-on, however, so it's streaming them as if it was a remote machine.

I'd suggest installing the mythfrontend (assuming that's possible) on your client machine (the one running XBMC) and see if you can access the backend that way. If that isn't possible, you'll know it's an issue with getting the video from the mythbackend, rather than something on the XBMC side of things.

Also can you use the myth:// protocol version to watch videos on your mythbackend using your XBMC setup? That would isolate it to MythBox vs. general myth support in XBMC.
fiveisalive Wrote:I see you are trying to access a myth server on a remote machine. My setup has both XBMC and the mythbackend on the same physical machine, so there could be some differences there. I do have the "streaming" option set within the MythBox add-on, however, so it's streaming them as if it was a remote machine.

I'd suggest installing the mythfrontend (assuming that's possible) on your client machine (the one running XBMC) and see if you can access the backend that way. If that isn't possible, you'll know it's an issue with getting the video from the mythbackend, rather than something on the XBMC side of things.
I haven't looked into it but I am not sure if myth-frontend can be installed in OSX on the apple tv (version 1). I have no problems at all connecting to the headless mythtv backend from various frontends in the house. I can clearly see when I launch Mythbox that it's showing me recorded shows data and a lot of info, it just won't play recordings. Here's some snapshots (from iphone, I dont know how to take a xbmc screenshot in OSX XBMC, only on original xbox. lol)
MySQL Settings are ok acccording to Mythbox
I try to watch a recording and I see the "please wait" BUT then nothing.

Here's the latest error log of mythbox.
http://pastebin.com/E6PEvNkH
and here's the xbmc log
http://pastebin.com/6PtTPntH

fiveisalive Wrote:Also can you use the myth:// protocol version to watch videos on your mythbackend using your XBMC setup? That would isolate it to MythBox vs. general myth support in XBMC.
Nope, for some reason I can't locate any failure in xbmc log file related to trying to use the myth:// protocol. Here's my sources.xml file (note the password was changed, lol)
http://pastebin.com/U3QQsQnX

Any help would be appreciated. I am desperately trying to use the free apple tv 1 to access recordings (mpeg files). Don't even care so much about Live TV.

My original xbox hacked with xmbc on it still accesses the mythbackend just fine so obviously something in the mythbox coding isn't right for my setup.

I know I can share a folder which has human readable recordings names over SMB but obviously I don't get the ability to delete recordings correctly (remove from mysql etc etc) and also can't set new recordings, basically the frontend is useless then.

I found a tutorial to remove internal hdd, remove wifi card and put in CrystalHD pci-express mini video decoder and he was just running crystalbuntu so I may just look into that and install a real mythtv frontend BUT I do like the many features the apple tv 1 provides as is along with XBMC its awesome, easy to navigate for my GF and kids etc. Going to full on crystalbuntu maybe I can boot right into mythtv frontend BUT can it work with the default remote control that apple tv uses. Basically I thought I was choosing the easiest route from many aspects BUT if I can't even get it to work I'll have to figure something else out because I want this apple tv in my setup, like now. LOL (apple tv 1 is replacing the ancient xbox cause it can't even stream h264 encoded files, CPU is equivalent to like 733mhz (if I recall correctly) or something really old.
Okay, got this working pretty quickly on pre-Eden, with 24+fixes.

Some immediate feedback:
- it needs to support playback groups. This is a big issue when you have deleted items going to a deleted group, since MythBox shows all items in all groups, including the deleted group.
- it needs to sticky the sort order. My whole amply prefers groups by title, but you keep reverting to date.
- the left nav is buggy. It keeps getting stuck or something, and doesn't allow a down-arrow, and sometimes doesn't allow an up arrow.
- the skin needs improving. Maybe side-by-side or something? Need a lot more rows for the now playing list. Maybe adopt a more TiVo model where it's got the now playing list as the main screen, and then programs as a second screen?

Will test some more and post results.

Thanks for all the hard work!
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC4