• 13(current)
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC
beatbreaker Wrote:I can't say about the skin but if you've never installed Linux or MythTV before, then getting a skin to work might be the least of your problems. There's a steep learning curve on everything, aesthetics might have to take a back seat for a bit. I've done it myself recently but I needed lots of patience, It's paid off in the end though.

haha i get it. I found some Linux distros that come with MythTV backend pre-configured so i figured it wouldnt be too bad. I've got TV tuner cards that are well supported ( Hauppauge 150 and 250). So which part is clusterf..k ? Setting up backend of MythTV or this front end script ?

When i said i never installed linux its not because i dont know some command line stuff. I just didnt need it when Windows and for past 6 years MAC did everything i wanted/needed.
Novin Wrote:Hello

Just tried using MythBox SVN 1260 against mythtv 0.22.0~trunk21556-0ubuntu3 but it fails with "unsupported protocol 48". Does MythBox support 44 at the most (from what I read in the ChangeLog)?

Thanks..

Created an issue about this: http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=58
Hello,
I have:
xbmc 9.04.1 r20672 (Compiled: Jun 2 2009)
XP Pro SP3 build 2600
mythbox-svn-1260

When I installed xbmc, I chose to have it store all application settings in C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata instead of c:\documents and settings\etc

When I try to run mythbox from with xbmc, i get the error Settings Error: Recording Directory c:\change\me does not exist. You can see a video of this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUz07QMQWs

And xbmc locks up until I kill the process. I left it like this for 8 hours, it never came out of it

But I don't have the option to get into a configuration area where I can set this directory. There is no settings.xml file created, and I don't know where to create one or what format it should be in.

Thanks for any help anyone can give
Novin Wrote:Created an issue about this: http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=58

There already was a open issue for this, http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=56. This issue also now contains a patch (very unofficial by myself) to fix it.
I'm very new to XBMC, and was a little put off that it didnt have PVR capability..... then I found this thread!! Smile

I hope this doesnt sound stupid, but could I just clarify my understanding of how Myth/xbmc integrate:

XBMC can be installed a PC1
Myth TV can be installed on PC2, along with a TV tuner card

PC1 can then access the content, guide, schedule, records etc of the mythtv box (PC2)

Is that correct?

Could I also just clarify, if the above is true, what sort of responce times do you get from an IR remote? Bearing in mind my wife will be using it, I dont want complaints from her!! Is channel skipping fast?

Many thanks for all the brilliant work on this project.
Wow, I got it working! Got stumped first on the fact that I have to share the recordings folder from my mythtv-backend to the XBMC computer. This could be mentioned more clearly, I thought the recordings folder setting in MythBox was used for recording Live TV from MythBox to the XBMC-computers harddrive.

Anyways, it doesn't work very well, I can only watch a couple of seconds of TV. It buffers to 4096 kB then I can see a couple of seconds then XBMC exits/crashes. There isn't any cache settings left in XBMC according to what I read for example here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50816

Even so, I doubt that is the problem. How come it is so slow? If I run mythfrontend from the same machine it works fine.
Novin Wrote:Wow, I got it working! Got stumped first on the fact that I have to share the recordings folder from my mythtv-backend to the XBMC computer. This could be mentioned more clearly, I thought the recordings folder setting in MythBox was used for recording Live TV from MythBox to the XBMC-computers harddrive.

Anyways, it doesn't work very well, I can only watch a couple of seconds of TV. It buffers to 4096 kB then I can see a couple of seconds then XBMC exits/crashes. There isn't any cache settings left in XBMC according to what I read for example here: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50816

Even so, I doubt that is the problem. How come it is so slow? If I run mythfrontend from the same machine it works fine.

how are you connected to your MythTV box ?

I'm just asking since i'd like have a go at it but not if its anything like you describe.
wally007 Wrote:how are you connected to your MythTV box ?

I'm just asking since i'd like have a go at it but not if its anything like you describe.

XBMC and Myth-backend are in the same 100Mbit switch. If I do a transfer-test with iperf I get 98-99.5Mbit in both directions. No problem there...
Star 
I like the combination of XBMC and MythTV... This is an excellent combination!

However, I run into some error running the script of mythbox in XMBC.

I am using a XBMC_for_Windows-9.04.1-repack2.exe install on Windows XP Prof on IBM T43.
I downloaded mythbox-svn-1260.tar.gz to intall. Have unziped the file and put into the right directory.

Then I come into XBMC, script, and saw the mythbox icon; click on it and I got the following:
1) a dialog box shows that:
Error trying to initialize logger
No section: 'formatter_consoleformatter\r\x00\n\x00[handlers]'

I understand this may come from the fact that mythbox doesn't have log support for windows;
The '\r\x00...' stuff... is this the problem of Unix/DOS string format?

And the progress bar goes to the middle, and halt,
2) a error box titled "Script'
Error: Python script failed:
special://home/scripts/MythBox/default.py

I guess this is the default.py script in the script directory. However, there is no more message avaiable. So I really don't know what is the error there. I searched internet but didn't got much thing.

Could you kindly let me know how can I correct this and purceed with installation. I'd love to use XBMC/MythBox as the frontend of my HTPC.
Thanks very much,

Clark
Couple quick questions.

Where is the settings in the skin to change the colors of the program guide?

Also is it possible to somehow highlight shows that will be recorded?
firefalcon, I'm experiencing the same problems as you since yesterday, but at the start of the week MythBox 1260 worked with XBMC 9.04.1
Yesterday I was trying out some other plugins and I've been running the xbmcupdater. In the end, bacuse of other issues, I removed and reinstalled xbmc 9.04 and now I get the same errors as you with MythBox.

The only difference between the new install and the previous is that I installed it in 'portable' mode.

John
The error

Error Catchall
Exception:argument 1 must be unicode or str
Function: <function onlnit at 0xa12f524>

can be resolved quickly:

You can fix that by adding a str() around the last parameter in livetv.py line 314 and do the same in line 341.
Novin Wrote:Hello

Just tried using MythBox SVN 1260 against mythtv 0.22.0~trunk21556-0ubuntu3 but it fails with "unsupported protocol 48". Does MythBox support 44 at the most (from what I read in the ChangeLog)?

Thanks..

I guess 1260 does support up to 45 of sorts (note the TODO) :-) , reading mythprotocol.py.

Best is you add some protocol functionality in that file. A good start for the functionality (protocol support) is http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_Protocol

It would be interesting to know if you get a funny message in the mythbackend.log

Happy coding!
firefalcon Wrote:Then I come into XBMC, script, and saw the mythbox icon; click on it and I got the following:
1) a dialog box shows that:
Error trying to initialize logger
No section: 'formatter_consoleformatter\r\x00\n\x00[handlers]'

Clark

I found the casue of the problem. The mythbox_win32_log.ini file was saved with CrLf line-ending (\r\n) instead of linefeed only. I modified the file and now everything works again (I used an editor that supports switching between DOS & Liux line endings).
I think it was casued by the zip extractors I was using (Winzip & IZarc)
Hi there,

I'm trying to debug a problem with mythbox-svn-1260, I'm using XBMC 9.04 on Fedora 11 (rpm from fedorajunkies: XBMC-9.04.1-1.fc11.x86_64). It fails when I attempt to start the plugin with the message:
Code:
this is MySQLdb version (1, 2, 2, 'final', 0), but _mysql is version (1, 2, 3, 'beta', 2)

Fedora 11 ships with MySQL-python 1.2.3 but it appears that mythbox ships with a precompiled version. What's odd is that it obviously reading the mythbox version of the python module, and even appears to be loading the pre-compiled _mysql.so (see the full log below). For some reason it tries to read the distro version rather than your shipped version.

Any workarounds/insights welcome. (I did try copying over the distribution version of the mysql python module, but that caused mythbox to crash as soon as tried to run "Testing").

Code:
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494858752   DEBUG: RegisterExtensionLib, adding _bisect.so (0x7fafc887a730)
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494858752   DEBUG: xbp_dlsym - load symbol init_bisect
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494068224   DEBUG: xbp_dlopen loading python lib /home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/lib/MySQLdb/linux64/_mysql.so. flags: 2
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3494068224   DEBUG: Loading: /home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/lib/MySQLdb/linux64/_mysql.so
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3493584896   DEBUG: RegisterExtensionLib, adding _mysql.so (0x7fafc87aa8f0)
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3493584896   DEBUG: xbp_dlsym - load symbol init_mysql
01:46:26 T:3880589584 M:3493482496  NOTICE: ERROR | mythtv.core | default.py | MainThread | Line 162 | Initializing stage 2
                             Traceback (most recent call last):
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/default.py", line 152, in ?
                                 import mythtv
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/src/mythtv.py", line 26, in ?
                                 import mythdb
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/src/mythdb.py", line 22, in ?
                                 import MySQLdb
                               File "/home/myth/.xbmc/scripts/MythBox/resources/lib/MySQLdb/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 22, in ?
                                 raise ImportError, "this is MySQLdb version %s, but _mysql is version %r" %\
                             ImportError: this is MySQLdb version (1, 2, 2, 'final', 0), but _mysql is version (1, 2, 3, 'beta', 2)
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC4